terrestrial

Tuesday's # (13. January) Revenant 4.95M | SW 7 $3.84 | DH 1.13 | Forest 812k | H8 793k | Sister 757k | Big Short 737k| chart p.5

6 minutes ago, GuardianDevil said:

I may be on an island alone with this statement, but at this moment I still think a billion is in play.

You are definitely on an Island alone....

I got a chance to catch Trumbo today - fantastic Performance from Cranston and I love the Dame, but her role in Woman in Gold was better.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Baumer said:

I think that would be awesome but let's face it, when you hit the all time top gross in record time, it is strictly due to many people seeing it multiple times.  For example, take guys like @75live, @AndyLL, me and a few others.  All of us saw it 4-7 times over the holidays.  I don't think any of us have seen it since school/work has been back.  This is why imo, it might fall short of 950.  I hope it hits 940 and 960 would just be fantastic.....not that 940 isn't lol.

Then you guys need to stop slacking! I'm at 16 and see it every few days :P

Edited by JonathanLB

For TFA to hit a billion, something very very unusual would have to happen. Also as soon as that bluray hits it's pretty much over.  That being said, it should still follow JW from here on out, somewhere near 100 million. Maybe we see higher repeat viewing before it leaves the theater then JW did.  

24 minutes ago, ForcedForward said:

That being said, it should still follow JW from here on out, somewhere near 100 million.

I don't understand why people expect this movie to follow Jurassic World and make only $100M more for the remainder of the run.

Sure it's having weekdays slightly weaker than Jurassic World (about 1M per day right now), but just last week-end it grossed 14M more than Jurassic World, and it was a non-holiday week-end.

Plus, next week-end is a holiday week-end! And for the rest of the run, weekdays will be slightly weaker, but week-ends are going to be much stronger.

I just don't think 920M is even possible at this point.

37 minutes ago, ForcedForward said:

For TFA to hit a billion, something very very unusual would have to happen. Also as soon as that bluray hits it's pretty much over.  That being said, it should still follow JW from here on out, somewhere near 100 million. Maybe we see higher repeat viewing before it leaves the theater then JW did.  

yep JW made almost exactly 100 million after the same point in its run. Hard to see TFA not matching, TFA will lose some ground each weekday, but gain it back and more each weekend.

For instance TFA will lose 3-4 million on JW this week M-TH, but JW only made 18 mil its 15 weekend, hard to see TFA gain 7-8 mil back on weekend. Next week TFA will lose less ground on weekdays because of holiday on Monday. Then TFA has 2 more holidays in its run (while it should still be making decent money).

Thats while I see TFA being pretty safe for 900 mil. I am moderately confident for 920. I have a hard time seeing anything over 935mil or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrath said:

Assuming it tracks exactly as well as JW, TFA would end at, what, ~960M? I can see that. I just have trouble seeing $1B.

The number I want to see is 940M

Puts it at #10 on the all-time adjusted list (According to box office mojo)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I hope it isn't at Pointe Orlando, I still need to see TFA in IMAX :ohmyzod: 

We have one IMAX in Honolulu,

I just checked, starting Friday they will be splitting their IMAX screen between Rev and TFA

TFA has the 1100am and 6pm screen times

Rev has 2:20om and 9pm.

9pm makes sense alot really. The rated R movie that is doing slightly more daily would likely do better than a more family focused film at a 9pm start time.

Its a win win, if you still want to see TFA in IMAX you can, and same goes for Rev, neither of the 2 are doing enough business to necessarily warrant the entire screen all day, but I will definitely get my last IMAX viewing in this weekend. 

Edited by tokila
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

I don't understand why people expect this movie to follow Jurassic World and make only $100M more for the remainder of the run.

Sure it's having weekdays slightly weaker than Jurassic World (about 1M per day right now), but just last week-end it grossed 14M more than Jurassic World, and it was a non-holiday week-end.

Plus, next week-end is a holiday week-end! And for the rest of the run, weekdays will be slightly weaker, but week-ends are going to be much stronger.

I just don't think 920M is even possible at this point.

it's because TFA has run for 27 days without losing a single theater.  it will probably run one more day before the inevitable drop.  losing theaters/screens is what kills a blockbuster's legs the fastest.  JW only lasted 19 days before losing 10% of its theaters and another 7% (of its original amount) just a week later, yet still managed dailies (non-weekend) that were higher than TFA.  Granted it was summer days, but people still had to work and there was more competition from other studios.  the MLK weekend is happening too late to really help TFA.  maybe it adds another $5 million between Sunday and Monday, but the divisional playoffs are coming as well as the Revenant's strong holds along with Ride Along 2 and 13 Hours.  i wouldn't be surprised if TFA manages less than $20 million for the 3 day weekend.

22 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

it's because TFA has run for 27 days without losing a single theater.  it will probably run one more day before the inevitable drop.  losing theaters/screens is what kills a blockbuster's legs the fastest.  JW only lasted 19 days before losing 10% of its theaters and another 7% (of its original amount) just a week later, yet still managed dailies (non-weekend) that were higher than TFA.  Granted it was summer days, but people still had to work and there was more competition from other studios.  the MLK weekend is happening too late to really help TFA.  maybe it adds another $5 million between Sunday and Monday, but the divisional playoffs are coming as well as the Revenant's strong holds along with Ride Along 2 and 13 Hours.  i wouldn't be surprised if TFA manages less than $20 million for the 3 day weekend.

I still see 940-950 total. Just because it should be there. If they make extended re-release on holiday weekend in spring, it can do billion 

1 hour ago, JonathanLB said:

Why wouldn't I be serious? Tomorrow will be 17. I'm sure I'll hit 30 at least. I saw the prequels 128 times in theaters on original release plus 3 more for TPM 3D ;)

Wait...128 times?! The prequels?

That's like paying a small fortune to have someone repeatedly kick you in the balls over and over again. 

I know some dudes are into that but geez I think that's crossing a line.

• Like 2

All Star Wars movies, especially and including the prequels, are my favorite movies ever made. So, no, I don't agree with you. They are masterful films and incredibly rewatchable. I don't mind if someone else doesn't like them, but that doesn't make their opinion any more valid. They are great films and ROTS has always been regarded highly among fans and critics. It's an incredible trilogy and it's Star Wars. To me, nothing is better than Star Wars. Nothing.