Impact

Best Picture predictions-2016!

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Nope, the existence of the Best Animated Feature category does.

If not even Inside Out could make it into Best Picture, this isn't either (especially under the current voting system).

What about previous animated films that got nominations?

Just now, cannastop said:

What about previous animated films that got nominations?

Toy Story 3 and Up were in years where there was a 1-10 voting system, plus those were widely hailed as being the absolute best of cinema, period. As great as Zootopia is, it's level of praise doesn't reach the otherworldly level that those films did.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Toy Story 3 and Up were in years where there was a 1-10 voting system, plus those were widely hailed as being the absolute best of cinema, period. As great as Zootopia is, it's level of praise doesn't reach the otherworldly level that those films did.

It's pretty damn close in terms of general critical praise.

Not that it matters, but I personally think Zootopia is better than those other two examples.

16 hours ago, cannastop said:

Not that it matters, but I personally think Zootopia is better than those other two examples.

Not enough voting members will put it as their number 1 film. It needs to be listed on 5% as the number 1 film on 5% of the ballots. 

16 hours ago, filmlover said:

That's the exact reason I said last year that IO will NOT get a best pic nom even tho it deserved it

On this forum most people didn't believe me but I was 100% sure it won't. And neither will ZOO.

It all comes to the voting system.

If WALL-E couldn't on a 1-5 then ZOO won't. UP and ts3 were lucky.

18 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Zootopia ain't happening. Especially with two other possible animated contenders this year including another from Disney

Do you really think they'll be liked as much? It would be hard to top Zootopia on Rotten Tomatoes.

I'm betting expectations for Dory and Moana are that they'll at least come close to that 8.1 average rating. Finding Nemo has a 99%/8.7 rating and while it may be difficult for Moana to quite match it it'll have the later release date as an advantage. They may end up disappointing but I'd rather not assume that'll be the case.

18 hours ago, cannastop said:

For what its worth, Toy Story 3 had 8.9 avg rating on RT. UP had 8.7. And IO had 9. Zootopia has 8.1 and its number of reviews is yet just half of these films. So while its true that almost everyone liked zootopia just like these others, most thought this was a very good film compared to most thinking that the other three were near-masterpieces. If IO couldn't get a BP nomination, even though the comp wasn't even too tough, there's almost no chance of Zoo getting it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Zootopia will at least get nominated for Animated Feature and Song. Right now Original Screenplay looks weak enough but there's plenty of time for that to change.

You really think "Try Everything" will get an Oscar nod?

I wouldn't put my money on Eastwood as far as winning BP/BD. Besides the fact that he is very hit or miss, even if the movie gets great reviews and become a hit, it will still be highly unlikely for him to win for a third time.

Scorsese on the hand is the most likely sight unseen at least for a nomination, even if Silence is in "noble failure" territory like Hugo. If it's a hit and the kind of "important" academy likes, they won't have any problem giving him a second one.

But that's a lot of IFs. Probably a movie with a director that isn't yet on the "oscar" radar will win. From the big 5 of this years oscars, only The Revenant was on the radar last spring. McCarthy was coming off of Cobbler, Adam McKay was Will Ferell's guy, Mad Max wasn't remotely oscar material and no one knew there was a movie called Room not starring Tommy Wiseau.

Well Hugo had really bad and misleading trailers (it looked like a fantasy film, as well as putting Scorseses name on a family film really was not a good idea in the trailer), also it seems Marty is missing his lucky charm Leo in the film.