Impact

Best Picture predictions-2016!

Unlike the Golden Globes, the Oscars are pretty much straightforward with who they are going to nominate and who will win. I don't see any shocks or anything tomorrow. Except for maybe Emily Blunt sneaking into the best actress equation. I do think certain films that I will not mention should be nominated for best picture but I don't see it happening. If there is a shock in the best picture category, I could see the OJ documentary sneaking in but again the Oscars are pretty straightforward so I doubt it. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, Impact said:

From the Oscar prediction game:

Current nomination prediction count:

12: La La Land

8: Arrival (+1 alt)

7: Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures (+1 alt) and Manchester by the Sea

6: Lion (+2 alt) and Moonlight (+1 alt)
4: Fences, Hell or High Water

3: Silence

2: Captain Fantastic, Deepwater Horizon (+1 alt), Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Jackie (+1 alt), Moana, Nocturnal Animals (+1 alt), Patriot's Day (+1 alt), Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (+1 alt) and Sully (+1 alt)

1: Deadpool, Elle, Finding Dory, Hail, Caesar! (+1 alt), The Lobster, The Jungle Book, Kubo and the Two Strings, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, The Red Turtle, Sing Street, Star Trek Beyond, Suicide Squad, Trolls and Zootopia (+2 alt)

Alt only: The BFG, The Dressmaker, Florence Foster Jenkins (2 alt) and The Secret Life of Pets

Okay I'm surprised I put Hidden Figures on that many. (Oh what the heck, might as well as put 2 supporting actress nominations for it, supporting actor, editing and director for the heck of it! I mean it could happen! Well it could-not predicting that at all!)

There are several I am still questionable about though.

Not going to change any of my predicts (first time I am not doing that-hate to regret something that I do every year), though I am iffy about some. I could see Costner getting in over Patel (and Grant who I have as a alt).

On 12/6/2016 at 1:28 AM, DAR said:

So what are the locks so far:

La La Land

Moonlight

Manchester by the Sea

Arrival

Silence

??

On 12/6/2016 at 1:18 PM, BirdMan said:

About Silence , reviews aren't out yet , it hasn't won any significant awards 

for all we know it COULD be the next billy lynn 

On 12/6/2016 at 3:28 PM, filmlover said:
On 12/6/2016 at 1:18 PM, BirdMan said:

About Silence , reviews aren't out yet , it hasn't won any significant awards 

for all we know it COULD be the next billy lynn 

lol no.

LOL YES 

Most people don't care about these mundane, little, inconsequential  movies, engineered in labs to please a certain type of people.

This year will be one of the most unpopular line up of films in the history of oscars.

The AMPAS Montages we saw were full of the movies that people actually saw and cared about.

Snobism has to stop at a certain point I guess if you want to have people to watch the ceremony.

Hypocrisy is a beautiful thing.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Most people don't care about these mundane, little, inconsequential  movies, engineered in labs to please a certain type of people. This year will be one of the most unpopular line up of films in the history of oscars. The AMPAS Montages we saw were full of the movies that people actually saw and cared about. Snobism has to stop at a certain point I guess if you want to have people to watch the ceremony.

Hypocrisy is a beautiful thing.

(post spacing edited by me to make it look like a normal person wrote it)

feels like a weird year to do your shtick when la la land's gonna be one of the highest grossing winners in a while.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

feels like a weird year to do your shtick when la la land's gonna be one of the highest grossing winners in a while.

In total, if you adjust, it s not that much.

Check out how many Oscar movies were in the Top 10-20 of a given year, 10,20,30,40 etc years ago and you ll see the undeniable trend.

Oscar movies are getting less & less popular by the year.

Except one or two big hits, that, I repeat, are not even that big, people don't give a crap about these movies.

It s just empirical data, not even an opinion.

but it's not like they need to worry about people not "watching the ceremony" it still pulls in near 35 million viewers even for a show like last year which got some of the lowest ever but that's still fucking huge if you consider the modern tv landscape.

• Like 1

Also, La La Land wouldn't do the numbers it is doing without its critical raves, 7 Golden Globes & 14 Oscar Noms & futre wins.

Because what audiences are craving right now is a Jacques Demy love letter/ copycat.

Take out the La La Land raves & award recognition and few people would have cared about Chazelle's Harvard Cineclub fantasy.

Hidden Figures' success feels more genuine, audiences chose the movie, it wasn't spoon fed to audiences like La La Land is right now.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Also, La La Land wouldn't do the numbers it is doing without its critical raves, 7 Golden Globes & 14 Oscar Noms & futre wins.

Because what audiences are craving right now is a Jacques Demy love letter/ copycat.

Take out the La La Land raves & award recognition and few people would have cared about Chazelle's Harvard Cineclub fantasy.

Hidden Figures' success feels more genuine, audiences chose the movie, it wasn't spoon fed to audiences like La La Land is right now.

Hidden Figures feels like a genuine success and it rightfully took the audience from both spoon fed LLL and spoon fed Fences. That said, 3 years from now nobody's gonna remember either of them. 

25 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Most people don't care about these mundane, little, inconsequential  movies, engineered in labs to please a certain type of people.

Well , most people LOVE Dwayne johnson , Vin Diesel , Liam neeson and Margot robbie movies and we all know what kinds of movies those tend to be 

futurist is making even less than usual. what does "take out the La La Land raves" even mean? a few movies get raves, including some movies you love, but apparently, it only benefits la la land.

also, la la land was a success before the golden globes and the oscar nominations, which were literally just announced, so that point also makes no sense whatsoever.

9 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Because good critical reviews literally always means a film will do well commercially?

• Like 1