Impact

Best Picture predictions-2016!

Are we seriously debating whether La La Land will win Best Picture? It tied the record for most nominations ever. Moreover, it's the rare movie that a huge majority of people can agree on, so it's probably still going to place very high on most ballots that don't have it at #1 (whereas The Revenant was most likely undone by being divisive enough to likely appear either near the very top or very bottom of a significant number of ballots, which paved the way for the much less divisive Spotlight to eke out the upset victory).

• Like 3

Earlier today I was thinking there were 9 noms and was going "what the heck is the 9th nomination?" Then I remembered there were only 8. (I think Jackie would of been the 9th, as for the 10th, I'm guessing either Florence or Nocturnal)

So 3 years of 9 nominations, 3 years of 8 nominations, does that mean the next 3 years will be 7?

24 minutes ago, Impact said:

Earlier today I was thinking there were 9 noms and was going "what the heck is the 9th nomination?" Then I remembered there were only 8. (I think Jackie would of been the 9th, as for the 10th, I'm guessing either Florence or Nocturnal)

So 3 years of 9 nominations, 3 years of 8 nominations, does that mean the next 3 years will be 7?

impact there are nine nominees this year. this is like the mandela effect except for something that happened like 3 days ago.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 6

the last time a movie that won the PGA and DGA (which c'mon chazelle will win) didn't go on to win best picture was Apollo 13.

the last time a film w/out a SAG ensemble nomination won best picture was Braveheart.

what i'm saying is. chazelle better watch out...

mel_gibson_102216_hacksaw_ridge_3c.jpg?i

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

He's not trying to save jazz jesus. I wanna get into people's brains to see just HOW they can interpret films the way they do just to fit their own outrage narrative.

He's so self-important that maybe you should forgive people for assuming so.

That SAG win for Hidden Figures is a clear indicative that HF came too late into conversation. It could have gotten 2-4 more noms (Actress, Score, Song, Costumes) if it peaked earlier.

Anyways, I love the Ensemble category. It would be great to have that translated to Oscars instead of short doc, animated short or one of the sounds.

7 hours ago, department store basement said:

With Hidden Figures winning SAG, the obstacles that were in La La Land's path are out. It'll steamroll through everything else now.

It was going to steamroll anyways. I wasn't able to see any scenario with Moonlight taking BP

i said in the other thread but can see hidden figures winning adapted screenplay at least. much more typical winner than moonlight

also unfortunately manchester could end up with 0 oscars. la la land probably taking screenplay and now i'm 50/50 between affleck and denzel.

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Excuse me, but doesn't Sebastian say that Jazz is dying?

And he wants to open a Jazz club? Nah, he's not trying to save anything...

Wanting to open a single jazz venue ≠ "saving" anything and John Legend rightly calls him out on his arrogance and self-importance that he starts the movie with. 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i said in the other thread but can see hidden figures winning adapted screenplay at least. much more typical winner than moonlight

also unfortunately manchester could end up with 0 oscars. la la land probably taking screenplay and now i'm 50/50 between affleck and denzel.

Good. Serves Amazon right for fucking over other movies to prop that one. Also, they were too focused on one Best Actor contender who is shaky because of that law suit/sex offense/whatever that isn't going away. 

Edited by Valonqar