Impact

Best Picture predictions-2016!

jackie is one of the best biopics in years. maybe since the social network or i'm not there. the fact that it's totally fallen out of the best picture race and seems like it's only gonna get an obligatory portman nod is like the industry slapping it down and saying "No! this genre isn't allowed to be this interesting! More Imitation Games and Theory of Everythings please."

• Like 3

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 1:44 AM, Valonqar said:

Same. The only reason I'm gonna check out BP list is to see whether Deadpool made it (fingers crossed!) cause more and more Oscar bloggers are shaking in their boots :rofl:that the nom may actually happen after PGA/DGA/WGA trifecta. Bring it!

Oh come on. I loved deadpool but it has loterally zero chance of getting a best pic nom ?. If TDK couldnt do it deadpool sure as hell isn't doing it. The best it could ever get is a best acting nom for RR, which also wont happen.

2 hours ago, Jessie said:

Oh come on. I loved deadpool but it has loterally zero chance of getting a best pic nom ?. If TDK couldnt do it deadpool sure as hell isn't doing it. The best it could ever get is a best acting nom for RR, which also wont happen.

While I'm not convinced that DP will make the cut, times are different now. Not only TDK had to fight for one of only 5 spots but AMPAS weren't nearly as ready to pander to any twitter tantrum as they are now. 

Every year I like to ask myself what would have happened if AMPAS kept the list of BP restricted to 5 films. Which are the films that would have been nommed this year?

I guess

La La Land / Manchester / Moonlight / Arrival / Hidden Figures

With Lion challenging either HF or Arrival

In 2015: Spotlight / Room / The Big Short / Mad Max / Revenant

with The Martian in 6th challenging The Big Short

In 2014: Birdman / Grand Hotel Budapest / Imitation Game / Boyhood / Theory of Everything

with American Sniper as 6th

In 2013: 12 years a slave / Gravity / American Hustle / Dallas Buyers Club / Wolf of Wall Street

with Nebraska as a possible spoiler

In 2012: Argo / Lincoln / Silver Linings Playbook / Life of Pi / Beasts of the Southern Wild

In 2011: Artist / Hugo / Moneyball / Descendants / Midnight in Paris

In 2010: King Speech / Social Network / Black Swan / True Grit / The Fighter

And Inception in 6th (people would have been crazy with this snub)

For me, it's not that dificult to see what are the movies that would have been nommed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stripe said:

I am really feeling Hidden Figures and Lion are picking up just at the right moment. I can see both garnering some surprise nods, such as Best Actress for Taraji, or Best Director for Garth.

Can't really be a surprise if he gets a DGA nod. Pretty much puts him in the top 5 or 6. Meaning if he misses it was probably just barely.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Best Actress looks pretty set in stone, but if someone like Taraji were to crash the party, who would be kicked out? If Isabelle Huppert were to snubbed we'd probably hear about La Binoche going to Hollywood in an attempt to assault everyone.

Huppert, Stone, Portman and Adams have the nod secured. But fifth slot is wide open, IMHO. Streep? She and Bening can hurt each other's chances. Both are aiming at the same kind of AMPAS voters. Then there's Negga and Taraji. Negga's film is already being forgotten, while everyone is now talking about Hidden Figures.

19 minutes ago, stripe said:

Huppert, Stone, Portman and Adams have the nod secured. But fifth slot is wide open, IMHO. Streep? She and Bening can hurt each other's chances. Both are aiming at the same kind of AMPAS voters. Then there's Negga and Taraji. Negga's film is already being forgotten, while everyone is now talking about Hidden Figures.

I think Streep is locked in, tbh. The role his baity and her Golden Globes speech (and Trump's pathetic "rebuttal" by calling her overrated) no doubt cemented her as a favorite this year.

3 hours ago, stripe said:

Every year I like to ask myself what would have happened if AMPAS kept the list of BP restricted to 5 films. Which are the films that would have been nommed this year?

I guess

La La Land / Manchester / Moonlight / Arrival / Hidden Figures

With Lion challenging either HF or Arrival

In 2015: Spotlight / Room / The Big Short / Mad Max / Revenant

with The Martian in 6th challenging The Big Short

In 2014: Birdman / Grand Hotel Budapest / Imitation Game / Boyhood / Theory of Everything

with American Sniper as 6th

In 2013: 12 years a slave / Gravity / American Hustle / Dallas Buyers Club / Wolf of Wall Street

with Nebraska as a possible spoiler

In 2012: Argo / Lincoln / Silver Linings Playbook / Life of Pi / Beasts of the Southern Wild

In 2011: Artist / Hugo / Moneyball / Descendants / Midnight in Paris

In 2010: King Speech / Social Network / Black Swan / True Grit / The Fighter

And Inception in 6th (people would have been crazy with this snub)

For me, it's not that dificult to see what are the movies that would have been nommed.

i think whiplash will make into 5, dont forget whiplash won best editing, and indicative award for best director

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

i think whiplash will make into 5, dont forget whiplash won best editing, and indicative award for best director

Whiplash didn't earn a BD nod, though. Which one would you replace with?