kayumanggi

MARY MAGDALENE | April 12 2019 | Gareth Davis | Rooney Mara, Joaquin Phoenix, Chiwetel Ejiofor

Universal Boards Mary Magdalene Movie From ‘The King’s Speech’ Producers See-Saw Films; Garth Davis Directing

http://deadline.com/2016/01/universal-boards-mary-magdalene-project-from-the-kings-speech-producers-see-saw-films-jesus-christ-bible-1201686765/

Universal Pictures International Productions is partnering with See-Saw Films on a biopic of Mary Magdalene. The untitled project is set to be an authentic and humanistic portrait of one of the most enigmatic and misunderstood spiritual figures in history.

Garth Davis will direct the new movie from a script by Helen Edmundson & Philippa Goslett. Production is set to begin this summer for an anticipated release in 2017. See-Saw’s Iain Canning and Emile Sherman, who have grown from strength to strength ever since they conquered the box office and awards season with The King’s Speech, will produce.

Edited by kayumanggi

The Weinstein Company (TWC), which was behind the multi-Oscar-nominated film Lion has added three additional films to their 2017 slate, according to a press release. First up is Mary Magdalene, the second film from Lion director Gareth Davis. The film stars Academy Award nominees Rooney Mara (Lion, Carol), Joaquin Phoenix (Her, The Master) and Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave) and will be released on November 24, 2017.

Mary Magdalene is described as, “an authentic and humanistic portrait of one of the most enigmatic and misunderstood spiritual figures in history. The biblical biopic tells the story of Mary (Mara), a young woman in search of a new way of living. Constricted by the hierarchies of the day, Mary defies her traditional family to join a new social movement led by the charismatic Jesus of Nazareth (Phoenix). She soon finds a place for herself within the movement and at the heart of a journey that will lead to the capital city of Jerusalem.” The film was written by Helen Edmundson and Philippa Goslet.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Funny, nobody has thought of creating a Christianity Cinematic Universe. One of those movies could make 1B dollars in Bible Belt alone. Combining them, you're sitting on a goldmine. Paging Mel Gibson right now.

Have it culminate at the end with God raising all of the figures back from the dead to have an epic showdown with the demon army in Salt Lake City.

• Like 2

Even though I couldn't fucking stand Lion as long as this guy keeps getting people like Rooney and Phoenix in his movies I guess I'll be obligated to see them.

That set photo might still end up being worth more than the entire movie though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I got my EW today, and there are some interesting date changes.

The Current War is now in Mary Magdalene's old slot, while Magdalene is nowhere to be seen.

I guess the movie is getting #Weinsteined

So this will premiere on Lifetime in 2020, I'm guessing.