Travod

Oscars Discussion - Nominations in First Post - Red Carpet Time!

It's funny, I didn't think I was going to watch at all this year but a friend called me up to hang out and we wound up watching the whole damn thing! I actually (surprisingly) enjoyed most of it as well. There were a couple of pleasant surprises (TGWTDT for editing and MIP for screenplay) but for the most part it played out like most thought. They did tease us early with all the Hugo wins and I started to believe it could upset BD and BP, but unfortunately it was just a tease...The Artist is an excellent movie though and well deserved, but I'm glad Hugo (arguably my favorite movie of the year) tied it in wins (though the only award I don't think it should have won was sfx, Apes should have won that). But all in all I enjoyed the show and I'm glad I watched.Oh, also SBC as the dictator on the red carpet and spilling those ashes on seacrest was hilarious! "Now when people ask who you're wearing you can say Kim Jong-il" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by FTF

It's funny, I didn't think I was going to watch at all this year but a friend called me up to hang out and we wound up watching the whole damn thing! I actually (surprisingly) enjoyed most of it as well.

There were a couple of pleasant surprises (TGWTDT for editing and MIP for screenplay) but for the most part it played out like most thought. They did tease us early with all the Hugo wins and I started to believe it could upset BD and BP, but unfortunately it was just a tease...The Artist is an excellent movie though and well deserved, but I'm glad Hugo (arguably my favorite movie of the year) tied it in wins (though the only award I don't think it should have won was sfx, Apes should have won that). But all in all I enjoyed the show and I'm glad I watched.

MIP was always the favourite to win Original Screenplay. That said, your post perfectly captures how I feel about the Oscars this year.

Rise of the Apes is an absolutely diabolical oversight by the oscars. And this is from someone that classes Hugo as the best film of last year. But I checked out of these awards six weeks ago, they were sealed when The Artist swept the guilds. They need to pull the awards forwards three or four weeks next year.

No big surprises except the SFX-oscar for "Hugo". "Drive" was not even nominated in most categories which was strange given the rather weak line-up; "Hugo" and "Artist" were both nice and charming films so the big winners are ok with me I guess. Cinematography should have gone to "Tree of Life" but Hugo had excellent camerawork too. "Rango" and "Tree of Life" might be my 2011 Hollywood films which "stay"; maybe "Hugo" too (let's see how good it looks at home, have seen it only once) and of course "Muppets" but that's more nostalgy from my side. And "Tintin", as bad as it was selling around the world, might end up there too if the next installment delivers what the first one promised.

Edited by IndustriousAngel

This is absolutely without a doubt the worst Oscars in 20 years. The fact that a novelty film equivalent to Light Bright, etch and sketch and the pet rock non only won best picture but best actor director and a slew of others makes me want t puke. The Artist, imo, belongs up there with Jack and Jill, Green Hornet and Your Highness as some of the worst films of the year. Furthermore, you have Hugo, a film about movies in the 20's and 30's and Midnight in Paris, a movie about films in the 20's, all winning major awards this year. So what does this tell you? That the octogenarians rolling around in their motorized wheel chairs while having someone change their Depends control the Oscars. The oscars this year are disgusting and the ratings will prove it. No one cares about the films that the good old boys club cares about. The snub their noses at the films that most people care about and just nominate films that their friends make. Is it any wonder the Weinsteins have a slew of oscars to their name? 5 at least. They somehow find ways to bribe their friends in the academy so that shit films like The Artist, Shakespeare in Love and Chicago can win best picture while other worthy films are lost in shuffle. They even manage to get films that have no business being at the oscars, nominated for best picture. Would the Reader have a hope in hell of a best picture nomination had it not been for Bob and Harvey?The oscars are just wrong. They have turned into a sycophantic schmoozefest that has more to do with pedigree than true quality. When films like Rise of the Planet of the Apes are losing out best visual effects to a film like Hugo, you have problems. I'm glad i watched sporadically this year. I already knew the winners for best picture, actor, actress ( a terrible film Iron Lady was but Streep was good), director, original screenplay, adapted and cinematography. The only surprise was Dragon Tattoo winning for editing. So another year comes and goes and i just have to look forward to the summer when the real movies come out. This crop of oscar nominees for the most part was insulting.

This is absolutely without a doubt the worst Oscars in 20 years. The fact that a novelty film equivalent to Light Bright, etch and sketch and the pet rock non only won best picture but best actor director and a slew of others makes me want t puke. The Artist, imo, belongs up there with Jack and Jill, Green Hornet and Your Highness as some of the worst films of the year. Furthermore, you have Hugo, a film about movies in the 20's and 30's and Midnight in Paris, a movie about films in the 20's, all winning major awards this year. So what does this tell you? That the octogenarians rolling around in their motorized wheel chairs while having someone change their Depends control the Oscars. The oscars this year are disgusting and the ratings will prove it. No one cares about the films that the good old boys club cares about. The snub their noses at the films that most people care about and just nominate films that their friends make. Is it any wonder the Weinsteins have a slew of oscars to their name? 5 at least. They somehow find ways to bribe their friends in the academy so that shit films like The Artist, Shakespeare in Love and Chicago can win best picture while other worthy films are lost in shuffle. They even manage to get films that have no business being at the oscars, nominated for best picture. Would the Reader have a hope in hell of a best picture nomination had it not been for Bob and Harvey?The oscars are just wrong. They have turned into a sycophantic schmoozefest that has more to do with pedigree than true quality. When films like Rise of the Planet of the Apes are losing out best visual effects to a film like Hugo, you have problems. I'm glad i watched sporadically this year. I already knew the winners for best picture, actor, actress ( a terrible film Iron Lady was but Streep was good), director, original screenplay, adapted and cinematography. The only surprise was Dragon Tattoo winning for editing. So another year comes and goes and i just have to look forward to the summer when the real movies come out. This crop of oscar nominees for the most part was insulting.

You should watch the MTV Movie Awards, baumer that matches your taste.

The Artist, imo, belongs up there with Jack and Jill, Green Hornet and Your Highness as some of the worst films of the year.

"The Artist" was a gimmicky but well done and charming film - last year it would propably not even have got a nomination but among this year's crowd it was one of the better films - and as a love declaration to "good old Hollywood" it's also delicious oscar bait and they bit. "Your Highness" is a flawed thing I still like - have seen it already 3 times and might do so again; no way is this amongst the worst films. "Shakespeare in Love" was a brilliant film when I saw it on the big screen; it doesn't hold up that well with rewatches but also, no way, is it a "shit" film as you call it.You're right about the age of the voters; plus it seems that the voters don't need to watch the films at all. So, yes, the Oscars are wrong, as you say, and awareness for other awards (really there are lots and lots) should be higher, but for now it's the biggest award and show for the general public and as such at least it raises interest in films.

You should watch the MTV Movie Awards, baumer that matches your taste.

Actually, no it doesn't. I just know that there are many other films that should have been nominated this year.

"The Artist" was a gimmicky but well done and charming film - last year it would propably not even have got a nomination but among this year's crowd it was one of the better films - and as a love declaration to "good old Hollywood" it's also delicious oscar bait and they bit. "Your Highness" is a flawed thing I still like - have seen it already 3 times and might do so again; no way is this amongst the worst films. "Shakespeare in Love" was a brilliant film when I saw it on the big screen; it doesn't hold up that well with rewatches but also, no way, is it a "shit" film as you call it.You're right about the age of the voters; plus it seems that the voters don't need to watch the films at all. So, yes, the Oscars are wrong, as you say, and awareness for other awards (really there are lots and lots) should be higher, but for now it's the biggest award and show for the general public and as such at least it raises interest in films.

Shakepeare in Love is a shit film. It's my opinion that it is.

Baumer, in all fairness, you basically went into the oscars with your mind already made up, before watching it, that you hated it (similar it seems to before seeing The Artist too). You also told us you weren't going to watch this year and your review states you only briefly saw any of it, so it's not really fair to negatively judge the show itself just because you didn't like the movies that were nominated/won.

Edited by FTF

Disgusted with the Oscars. Artist Best Picture? No. The Help, War Horse, and Hugo were better films. Meryl Streep winning best Actress :rolleyes: Please!! She is just liked by everyone in the Academy and so she wins. Viola Davis should have won this or Rooney Mara. They gave the best performances among the Best Actress noms. Martin Scorsese should have gotten Best Director too. Oh! and don't even get me started on the Rise of the Planet of the Apes snub! I mean even Transformers 3 had better visuals than Hugo!! The Oscars have become incredibly predictable and The Academy's bias for actors, actresses, and films is out right annoying. The acting awards rarely go to somebody who actually gave an outstanding performance. :angry: The biases against sci-fi, action, horror, and fantasy films continues to annoy me too.

Baumer, in all fairness, you basically went into the oscars with your mind already made up, before watching it, that you hated it (similar it seems to before seeing The Artist too). You also told us you weren't going to watch this year and your review states you only briefly saw any of it, so it's not really fair to negatively judge the show itself just because you didn't like the movies that were nominated/won.

The oscar winners are what disgusted me. The only reason i watched what i did was because of Crystal. So to be fair my opinion is not biased at all. AT least I've seen 90% of the films nominated for the major awards. So I'm entitled to my opinion. ;)

Sasha Stone is already beginning to unveil her manic-depressive spin campaign about how she always knew Meryl Streep would beat Viola Davis.http://www.awardsdaily.com/2012/02/oiling-the-oscar-machine/It's hilarious how she does this every year to explain away how something she didn't want to happen happened. Sometimes it even leads to her retroactively proclaiming the "offending" film or person the deserving winner (like when in 2009 she was uber-gung-ho for Avatar and was trashing The Hurt Locker, but then within 6 months of the Oscars she was totally fine with THL's win because she said it was one of the best, if not the best film of that year).