kayumanggi

A DOG'S PURPOSE | 01.27.17 | Universal | current gross ● 64.25 M

10 hours ago, Talkie said:

Movies in which stuntmen died or were seriously injured sometimes use the deaths in their marketing. I can remember one movie long ago that had trailers touting the death of a stuntman in an underwater sequence. That horrified me as a kid, but plenty of others were thrilled for whatever reason. You can bet that no studio would ever brag that animals died on set for fear of eliciting a violent reaction from the public. The sad truth is that many people value the lives of animals far more than those of their fellow humans. 

OTOH, on-set deaths by people other than stuntmen have always drawn great outcry. Like that camerawoman on the Greg Allman biopic that was rolled over by a train because some idiot cut corners and didn't secure proper permits for the production. The movie was shut down and people ended up in jail. 

At the end of the day, a stuntman is a professional that has chosen to do dangerous things for a living, and understands the situation he's in. Animals don't get to chose, nor understand what they are getting into, besides the fact that doing X will please their owners. That doesn't mean that the slow drip of stuntmen deaths is an ok state of affairs - far from it - but people will naturally feel more angry for the death of somebody that was put in danger unwittingly versus somebody that was aware of the risks and decided to go for it. 

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

OTOH, on-set deaths by people other than stuntmen have always drawn great outcry. Like that camerawoman on the Greg Allman biopic that was rolled over by a train because some idiot cut corners and didn't secure proper permits for the production. The movie was shut down and people ended up in jail. 

At the end of the day, a stuntman is a professional that has chosen to do dangerous things for a living, and understands the situation he's in. Animals don't get to chose, nor understand what they are getting into, besides the fact that doing X will please their owners. That doesn't mean that the slow drip of stuntmen deaths is an ok state of affairs - far from it - but people will naturally feel more angry for the death of somebody that was put in danger unwittingly versus somebody that was aware of the risks and decided to go for it. 

But the dog is still alive...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't know why but every time I see a new post in this thread, I expect it to be news that the movie has been pulled from release. Eh.

Same. I wasn't expecting a full pull, but at least a push back so they can try to do a reset. It will be interesting to see just how poorly it does next weekend.

Saw a trailer for this movie today and I cried.  Going to see this movie next week with plans to ball like a baby.  Do I believe a dog was abused?  Absolutely not.  I didn't even know about that until I talked to my husband.  Knowing the controversy, the ONLY reason I am going to see this movie is for support.  I don't want to see a dog die so many times as that will make me cry every time.  But I believe in support, so will see it next weekend.  I have never trusted TMZ and personally can't stand Peta.  I would never hurt an animal and hate those that do.  I know each one of us has to decide for ourselves, and my decision is made.

• Like 3

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/gavin-polone-a-dogs-purpose-outcry-what-happened-whos-blame-967160

my Facebook feed had this link, and the girl who posted it commented "will never be convinced. Even if God came down and told me there's more to the story, I would still not believe it. These people are only trying to undermine TMZ who is only here to protect us and our animals. These people should be fined, jailed, and rot in hell."

Ugh. People.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, DAJK said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/gavin-polone-a-dogs-purpose-outcry-what-happened-whos-blame-967160

my Facebook feed had this link, and the girl who posted it commented "will never be convinced. Even if God came down and told me there's more to the story, I would still not believe it. These people are only trying to undermine TMZ who is only here to protect us and our animals. These people should be fined, jailed, and rot in hell."

Ugh. People.

Ugh. Yeah, TMZ are the ones who care about protecting animals. God, how stupid can you be?

The article is great though, so thanks for linking it. Really sad what's happened to this movie. Media literacy courses should be mandatory in every school, because some people are duped far too easily.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Ugh. People.

I think that's ultimately why we'll never see a full tape, because a full tape will do nothing to convince anyone.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Ugh. People.

This post pretty much sums it up. People make up their minds too easily and change their minds too rarely these days, all based on next-to-no evidence, just the flimsiest of the hints.

2017 is gonna be awesome.

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

This post pretty much sums it up. People make up their minds too easily and change their minds too rarely these days, all based on next-to-no evidence, just the flimsiest of the hints.

2017 is gonna be awesome.

It's really depressing. It's like people no longer care what the truth is, they just want to be outraged and angry. If an article has a misleading headline, often people will only regard that and not even read the rest. If more facts come in late to shed new light on a situation, it's ignored by most everyone.

The most baffling thing here is that the video is honestly so clearly manipulative in its editing. I have a dog which I love dearly and I would never consider that video daming evidence.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 6

Since we all know it's been manipulated then there should be no reason with any of you going to the movie, but make up your mine.  And other movie goers may not know of the controversy, so please please don't talk about it in the theater.  Let these people see the movie with joyful abandon as the movie was intended for.

• Like 1

I just know that I'll be seeing this as soon as I can, and I'll be reviewing it on the basis of the quality of the movie. If it is bad I'll give it a bad review. If it's good, I'll praise it to the full extent it deserves.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I've just read in a local news site that PETA will have activists in front of some movie theaters trying to shame people who wanna buy tickets for this.

That's so low.

:angry:

I didn't plan to watch this movie in theater, but I think I will now.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JennaJ said:

It's really depressing. It's like people no longer care what the truth is, they just want to be outraged and angry. If an article has a misleading headline, often people will only regard that and not even read the rest. If more facts come in late to shed new light on a situation, it's ignored by most everyone.

The most baffling thing here is that the video is honestly so clearly manipulative in its editing. I have a dog which I love dearly and I would never consider that video daming evidence.

I think people latch onto outrage because it makes them feel purposeful. They want to be able to take a stand on something in the absence of anything else they think they have to live for.

• Like 1

Surprise, surprise.  It turns out that PETA is the same ol' sack of shit cult they have always been.  

Fuck everyone that once again over-reacted to heavily edited and out of context bullshit put up on social media.  

No wonder this country has a clown for a President at this point.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 14