32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Grey

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Who would have that that Hollywood would not only dish out a quality film in the first four weeks of the year, but also a film that's likely to stay in my top 10-15 for the year?

This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but this is right up my alley. The Grey tries hard to be something more than a nature survival flick, and it largely succeeds. The wolves serve as the background to the haunting experience endured by the men, and the dramatic scenes were honestly more intriguing to me than the wolves.

This is a harrowing, intense film that deserves credit for not only trying to be different, but for pulling off the feat in pretty damn impressive fashion.

B+

I had high hopes for this going into it and it did not disappoint. The Grey, I'm sure, will be one of the best films of the year. It is tense, harrowing and filled with a ton of action. The wolves are very well done and who knew 20 years after playing a mute suspect in the film Suspect, that Neeson would go on to be one of the most bankable action stars in North America. He just fits into these types of roles. I mean, the guy is 60 years old and he has found his niche as a tough SOB, but one that you can relate to. His 6'4 frame fills the screen in an impressive fashion but it's his quiet yet strong demeanor that solidifies everything. There are not many other actors I put ahead of him that I enjoy more seeing on screen.The Grey is a fantastic film and it is one of the best man vs nature films I've seen.9/10

One of the BEST films I've seen in a LONG time. Its intense with gritty realism and a few doses of excellent comedy. There was quite a few VERY powerful scenes in this movie as well. The scene where he looks up at the sky after his friend dies and starts cussing out God(insanely convincing acting on Liam's part here) and the one where that one dude just gives up were the easily the most notable ones. Also, the ending was just pure epic... it seemed to have pissed off everyone in the theater that was under 20 years old, but I thought it was incredibly well done. Liam Neeson is a god.A+

Edited by Shpongle

This was excellent. It's tense, gritty, graphic, and incredibly bleak. There is no hope for these people despite how you want it to turn out. I like movies that don't take the easy way out and this one didn't. It was lighter on the action than I was expecting and the plot at times veered into the ridiculous (I really don't know that wolves actually act that way, killing and stalking humans just for the hell of it...) but at the same time I guess the wolves are just a metaphor anyway... Two most powerful scenes for me were when Neeson comforts the dying man in the plane, and when Henrik drowns and Neeson has a breakdown. Liam Neeson is great. The man is a star. My friends and some others in the crowd were annoyed at the ending but I think it worked beautifully.8.5/10

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

What a compelling, unexpected movie. As the film delves into the darkness, losing hope and light with every death, it becomes a harrowing experience. And Liam Neeson, who has incredible presence on screen, gives a truly memorable performance.

That ending isn't going to go over with the masses well at all, but I don't care, it's the best way they could have ended this. If we knew he lived or died (though he probably died), it would have taken away strength from the film's message.

B+

I think it's pretty clear he died. What people were annoyed with is that they didn't show his final stand, especially after he maguivered himself the nip-shanks and taped a knife to his hand. But like I said, I think the way it ended was just fine, and far more memorable than showing him killing a few wolves before eventually getting eaten to death.

Great film. Total surprise for me only reading a synopsis and watching no trailers. Plays like the manliest horror movie and moves its story along around the sometimes brutal always satisfying death sequences. Can't totally rave about the film because I felt like everyone, save Liam Neeson's character, didn't earn my investment, so the deaths didn't hit as hard, especially early on. Even with that small complaint, it's gripping until the end (and even after...). Ending worked well. 7.5/10 "Love it."

P.S. Did anyone stay until after the credits???

After the credits, Liam Neeson is seen resting his head back on the wolf's body, as the wolf takes its final breaths (like earlier in the movie).

TREMENDOUS PAYOFF for those who like to stay (like me) until the lights turn on. Maybe it would have been better placed after the lead credits (like after the director, producer, star actors) rather than at the very end.

Edited by hogwash13777

P.S. Did anyone stay until after the credits???

After the credits, Liam Neeson is seeing resting his head back on the wolf's body, as the wolf takes its final breaths (like earlier in the movie).

TREMENDOUS PAYOFF for those who like to stay (like me) until the lights turn on. Maybe it would have been better placed after the lead credits (like after the director, producer, star actors) rather than at the very end.

WHAT!?!?I had no idea. Wow.

I liked it a lot. Obviously the film is not giving a true portrait of the wolves behaviour, but it was more about these men's and Liam's journey than the actual fight. They sold the film focusing on the action, but luckily there was a powerful story to be told and Carnahan's way of showing man vs mature was nothing short of brilliant. Great character development and I was actually surprise how strong, sharp and precise the script was, the act of the wolves notwithstanding. The ending was brilliant, I give a huge credit to filmmakers, who put an extra scene after the credits, I tend to stay till the very end all the time, even though if I am the only one in the screen and the usher is giving me a dirty look.

A

Honestly, the actual wolf attacks were the least interesting part of the movie. After a while, we weren't seeing anything new, and the scenes where I felt like I had to wait for the sudden thrashing of wolves took me out of what was going on. I liked the idea of the wolves as a metaphor, however, and I loved the shot where all you can see is the eyes of an entire pack before they run off.

• Like 1

Honestly, the actual wolf attacks were the least interesting part of the movie. After a while, we weren't seeing anything new, and the scenes where I felt like I had to wait for the sudden thrashing of wolves took me out of what was going on. I liked the idea of the wolves as a metaphor, however, and I loved the shot where all you can see is the eyes of an entire pack before they run off.

There's no doubt! I felt the first half somewhat dragged when it focused on the wolves. The 2nd half was all about human nature up against nature itself, and was damn good.

Completely taken by surprise, I absolutely loved it, my expectations were met and more. It is a very well shot film, grainy, slow, beautiful scenery and close ups, I was amazed at the film's direction. The story was captivating never unrealistic or corny, the script was very impressive. I can keep complimenting for hours, best film I have seen since drive and best film this year so far. Rarely give it out, only 2 films qualified last year but...A+