Fancyarcher

The Shape of Water (Cold War supernatural thriller) | Dec 8 2017 | Del Toro co-writing/directing | Sally Hawkins, Octavia Spencer, Michael Shannon

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

But I do wanna believe that she does have pull with audiences. It's Octavia fucking Spencer, for God's sake.

I wanna believe too, but actors don't have "pulls" these days, so much as they're lucky to be good at picking their scripts. Spencer is great though. 

Just saw this, and wow. It really does live up to the hype. It truly is magical. Hawkins deserves the Oscar, she's brilliantly conveys emotions with a lack of dialogue, & the rest of the supporting cast is great too. It may have surpassed Dunkirk as my favorite film of the year. It's that good.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

20 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Holy shit, GDT said at TIFF the budget is only around 20M :ohmygod: 

I believe it. Aside from the sea monster and a few sequences, a lot of this film is set in the real world. It's not exactly what I'd call "excessive supernatural" anyway. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 hour ago, Tauren Warlock said:

With more reviews coming in, I think it'll finish between 80 to 85. MC scores tend to go down after the first influx of reviews and when the film approaches its release date. Arrival is a good comparison.

Metacritic is also fuzzy math, so 5  points here or there don't really matter.

They not only have their own weighted algorithm as to who's reviews are worth more (Rex Reed's 0 put a 1 point dent in mother's! overall MC grade) but they assign number grades to ungraded reviews.  There is no way are Edlestein's reviews for Shape of Water and mother! are both a 60...

• Like 2

This was excellent overall. Hawkins was absolutely wonderful and better win some awards. Such a great performance that makes you emotional. Jenkins is def up there. And nice some visual scenes as well. Shannon was decent too, but his character had about as much depth as a pond. I'd recommend it if you're interested.

• Like 14