Mockingjay Raphael

WEEKEND THREAD | B.O numbers Page 28: Final Divergent movie opens at $29m, Zoo: $38m

14 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Are they really doing that well tv wise. Other than OITNB I can't think of another huge successful show now that Mad Men is over. 

Debmar Mercury which is a subsidiary of Lionsgate distributes many shows such as Wendy Williams and Family Feud both which are very successful. . Lionsgate Television are involved in Nashville which is a moderate hit for ABC and likely will end being syndicated since they are near the minimum number of episodes needed plus they have a few shows in the pipeline such as Feed the Beast for AMC.

Edited by Jonwo

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Debmar Mercury which is a subsidiary of Lionsgate distributes many shows such as Wendy Williams which is very successful. . Lionsgate Television are involved in Nashville which is a moderate hit for ABC and likely will end being syndicated since they are near the minimum number of episodes needed plus they have a few shows in the pipeline such as Feed the Beast for AMC.

Nashville has reached the number of episodes for syndication, it's gonna get cancelled this season.

I hear that in Allegiant they bring back poor Ashley Judd for another random appearance. What the fuck. YOU DIED TWO MOVIES AGO!!!! :lol: Just goes to reinforce my point that these movies are just spinning their wheels for the most part.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Nashville has reached the number of episodes for syndication, it's gonna get cancelled this season.

It'll be at 86 by the end of this season so only 2 short of the minimum required so I do agree. 

45 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Don't you guys think that dystopian YA fatigue is setting in more than any kind of fatigue towards any one particular actor or actress?  I mean Jlaw is kind of in a class by herself and she is obviously a draw but we have been bombarded with so many cloned films about dystopian futures with kids battling blah blah blah.  I mean, I can't tell you what the hell happened in Maze Runner, Divergent, any Hunger Games sequel or any other YA film.  They're all the same in some ways.  It's a tired theme and it's just time to move on from that, imo.

We have yet to see JLaw prove herself to be a real, irrefutable draw. Joy proved neither here nor there, a middling "hit" that also benefit from David O. Russell's name. We have yet to see her carry a movie the way Julia Roberts followed up Pretty Woman with the $100M grossing Sleeping with the Enemy, or Sandra Bullock followed up Speed with While You Were Sleeping. It's all been franchises. The closest she came to carrying a hit was Silver Linings but that was a platform release that had the Weinstein awards season magic touch. 

8 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

We have yet to see JLaw prove herself to be a real, irrefutable draw. Joy proved neither here nor there, a middling "hit" that also benefit from David O. Russell's name. We have yet to see her carry a movie the way Julia Roberts followed up Pretty Woman with the $100M grossing Sleeping with the Enemy, or Sandra Bullock followed up Speed with While You Were Sleeping. It's all been franchises. The closest she came to carrying a hit was Silver Linings but that was a platform release that had the Weinstein awards season magic touch. 

Joy was actually a flop. It's budget not counting marketing was 60m. 

17 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Well I guess we'll see with Passengers. I feel like with her and Pratt it should have no problem at least getting $100 million DOM even going against Rogue One. 

I dunno... Allegiant actually wasn't bad. Definitely not 10% on RT bad. You can pick it apart forever, but I was entertained and got caught up in the story. So... success?

Also, including 2.7M in previews, it's not going to touch 10M OD. Not even close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

More a disappointment and mostly because the budget should have been half that for a family drama about the creator of the Miracle Mop, that's on the studio for green lighting it.    Middling reviews didn't help either and that's far more on the director.   Even Leo couldn't have made this any more money - he couldn't do it for J Edgar Hoover.  Star power can only take you so far, even during the era when star power was stronger and more prevalent.

Deadline has a late night update tonight, and their current projected range is now $28 to $30 million for Allegiant, and $40 to $41 million for Zootopia.  The newest update focuses a lot on the decision to split Allegiant the book into Allegiant the movie and Ascendant the movie.

Edited by Outrageous!
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Arlo245 said:

Damn $40-41 million for Zootopia would be absolutely crazy amazing! :o It would upgrade $300 million to likely IMO :D

Really wish they would give Friday numbers. We can never trust their multipliers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

It was a disappointment but not a bomb. And it probably made more with JLaw than it would've made with either Shailene or Queen Brie in the lead. There's only so much a movie about the inventor of the Miracle Mop which did everything it could to hide that in the marketing (because, ya know, that isn't the most cinematic or enticing subject) to the point where the movie's only selling point was "JLaw is Joy!" that had somewhat middling reviews could make under those circumstances. No awards buzz = not much of an audience.

Someone else brought up that Leo had J. Edgar as the evidence that even he isn't invincible but he probably propelled that to higher grosses than it would've received otherwise being the failed Oscar bait that it was.

6 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Really wish they would give Friday numbers. We can never trust their multipliers

Well, using their multiplier of 3.88x from their earlier $8.5 million Friday estimate and $33 million weekend estimate, would put updated Friday numbers at $10.3-10.6 million which is the range Rth gave us. Although I think it has to make around $11 million on Friday to make $40 million+ for the weekend, but we'll see. Either way, $38-40 million would be awesome!