Mockingjay Raphael

WEEKEND THREAD | B.O numbers Page 28: Final Divergent movie opens at $29m, Zoo: $38m

6 minutes ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

Shame that Grimsby is doing so terribly. I dunno how it managed to drop 0 cinemas this weekend, I guess there really is nothing else out.

It's in its 2nd weekend in the US and theaters are contracted for 2 weeks, it will drop a ton next weekend.

Edited by department store basement
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Zootopia being #1 on it's 3rd weekend?......Sweet.

I wonder how it's OS-gross is going? With numbers like these, it's almost nearing Ice-Age/Minions OS territory.

With China going to do 220m+ it's got a shot a billion WW

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

With China going to do 220m+ it's got a shot a billion WW

I think some projections had it plagued at over 900M+, which means it absolutely has a shot at a billion. That being said, hardly would this be the 1st 900M+ animation to die in the beach (The Lion King, Despicable Me 2, Finding Nemo and Shrek 2 all have over 900M; guess their studios couldn't be assed to push it a little forward). Regardless, the fact that Zootopia of all films may stand amongst those is pretty insane, considering my initial judgments of the film a bunch of months ago.

30 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think some projections had it plagued at over 900M+, which means it absolutely has a shot at a billion. That being said, hardly would this be the 1st 900M+ animation to die in the beach (The Lion King, Despicable Me 2, Finding Nemo and Shrek 2 all have over 900M; guess their studios couldn't be assed to push it a little forward). Regardless, the fact that Zootopia of all films may stand amongst those is pretty insane, considering my initial judgments of the film a bunch of months ago.

True.

Well, now that you mentioned The Lion King......the more i thought about it......why didn't The Lion King 3D get a China release? If it did....it would have gotten over $1B WW, easily. Then we would have been talking about the first 2D animated film to join the billion dollar club.

Maybe a future theatrical re-release would get that film there. That film is THE closest film to the $1B WW-club....but not get there....with $987M WW.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Lion King and Nemo only got over $900m after re-releases. And sure, let's push Shrek 2 $80m further when it's already finished, what's the big deal. 

Looking at Rango and The Lorax's numbers in the third weekend of March, if Zootopia's Friday is under $10m it likely won't reach $35m for the weekend. Still a great hold though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Lion King and Nemo only got over $900m after re-releases. And sure, let's push Shrek 2 $80m further when it's already finished, what's the big deal. 

Looking at Rango and The Lorax's numbers in the third weekend of March, if Zootopia's Friday is under $10m it likely won't reach $35m for the weekend. Still a great hold though.

I'm just saying. None of them made it to 1B, regardless of wheater or not they stopped naturally. Although Lion King 3D, like mentioned, could've gotten to a billion w/a China release, considering how close it ended up.

• Like 2

ZOOTP needs a 36m weekend to touch 200m.

Then 2.78 x 36m = 100m more to touch 300m.

Lorax had a 22.764m 3rd weekend and added 2.44 x 22.764m = 55.6m more to it's run.

So 300m for ZOOTP looks very likely.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, a2knet said:

ZOOTP needs a 36m weekend to touch 200m.

Then 2.78 x 36m = 100m more to touch 300m.

Lorax had a 22.764m 3rd weekend and added 2.44 x 22.764m = 55.6m more to it's run.

So 300m for ZOOTP looks very likely.

Next weekend will be the final test for it. If it can survive BvS, and i think it will, 300m will surely happen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kung Fu Panda Tree said:

Shame that Grimsby is doing so terribly. I dunno how it managed to drop 0 cinemas this weekend, I guess there really is nothing else out.

Theaters are usually obliged to show a film for at least two weekends.

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Isn't that projected Cloverfield Lane weekend above the originals second? Any chance of a purge situation??

This is exactly what I've been thinking will happen since the great reviews for 10 Cloverfield Lane came out!

Edited by Films