CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

48 minutes ago, Focus said:

As much as I hate to say it, the hype for JW matched A1. I think it was underestimated because of the subpar performances of the other JP sequels and assumption the modern GA doesn't care about dinosaurs.

I disagree. JW came out of nowhere. At least with Avengers we had signs that it was going to out open HP8.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bladels said:

Pay a visit to the China thread and you'll know why. BvS has terrible internal multiplier and review plus 4 local movies will open next week.

I can visit China itself and we will still don't know how it will do.

The future hasnt happened yet...lol

2 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

Why would it struggle? We don't know how the movie will play out.

We can speculate, but none of us know how it "will" do because it hasn't happened yet.

Go to the China section and you'll see discussion on it, it's OD, it's muted Saturday bump, it's lowered pre-sales and it's poor audience ratings. 

China is a very fast WOM country, it also has a lot of local product that gets preferential treatment so if a foreign film isn't doing as well as expect it will loose a huge % of it's screens within the first week to local films or new openers.  You an often gauge how it will react in the first couple of days.  It's a market that can be extraordinarily leggy - see Zootopia (opening day was about $3.5m and it will make over $200m) or extremely front loaded - Spectre had a 1.9 multiplier.  Opened to $44.5m w/e and finished with $83.5m

31 minutes ago, Olive said:

Sunday Est:

BVS :97.5m/372m($57M) Biggset OW for WB

Zootopia: 42.5M/1298M

Rerenant:14.3M/332M

BVS marks Biggset OW for WB, previous record held by Hobbit 3(312M yuan). Sunday drop is 33%.

I think 600M yuan is not dead yet, and 100M USD is also doable if it doesn't get slaughtered the coming weekend.

Zootopia's last day will be Sunday April 3rd, April 4th is a national holiday, sadly it will miss it.

• Like 1

After 3 viewings,

I don't see what separates this from Batman Begins quality wise, like, at all. Except the fight scenes are 100x better here. BB had a quaisi slow act 1 and very slow act 2 followed by a night of non stop action in act 3.

I am tempted to think geek fanboys and geek critics choose to look the other way because they knew Nolan was 'one of them' whereas with Snyder...he is a glorified special effects supervisor so they look extra hard for issues.

Another reason he has to go, fair or not.

outside of the obnoxious knightmare/Flash scene,

and minor editing issues in the beginning...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VGPOP said:

I can visit China itself and we will still don't know how it will do.

The future hasnt happened yet...lol

Of course the future hasnt happened yet. BvS still has a chance to make $1B DOM but it's highly unlikely, isn't it?

• Like 1

Just now, bladels said:

Of course the future hasnt happened yet. BvS still has a chance to make $1B DOM but it's highly unlikely, isn't it?

Exactly "highly unlikely". He wrote that it "will" happen. Like there is no chance whatsoever that movie will gross more than $105 million.

2 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

Exactly "highly unlikely". He wrote that it "will" happen. Like there is no chance whatsoever that movie will gross more than $105 million.

No, she wrote

Ant-Man did $105m last year.  Ant-Man.  BvS will struggle to reach that number.

;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

After 3 viewings, outside of the obnoxious knightmare/Flash scene, and minor editing issues in the beginning...

I don't see what separates this from Batman Begins quality wise, like, at all. Except the fight scenes are 100x better here. BB had a quaisi slow act 1 and very slow act 2 followed by a night of non stop action in act 3.

I am tempted to think geek fanboys and geek critics choose to look the other way because they knew Nolan was 'one of them' whereas with Snyder...he is a glorified special effects supervisor so they look extra hard for issues.

Another reason he has to go, fair or not.

At least you've realized why those of us who didn't enjoy it, didn't enjoy it. 

I could never read as deep into The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover the way Roger Ebert did but I enjoyed that movie and mentally none the less. And I saw that film when I was around 17 years old and liked it then. I like it even more when I saw it as an adult. @La Binoche