CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

THe the last superhero series with a fanbase this divided was ASM.

But ASM2 was so bad that just about everyone jumped on the hate bandwagon.

So as long as Snyder releases JL movies that are decent crowd pleasers ( not to mention the solo movies) the franchise should be fine.

Woah, woah, woah, woah! Hold on a minute....i happen to be one of those people who liked TASM2. :pounce: 

And that's saying from someone who:

1. Aren't into the comics.

2. Is not a die hard comic-book fan.

....and 3. Really liked Andrew Garfield's portrayal as the title character.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

WB right now:

"To fudge or not to fudge? That is the question."

No need. Just learn from then weaknesses of this film and build on them. This was very close to being on par with TDK. Especially the first half of the film.

Then someone decided it needed more "esplosions"! And cow bell.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm not sensing 200+ m hype for Civil War.

But again, JW was supposed to open around 120 m.

I see it. Won't lowball that. It'd be the clever thing to do it, it is what I did with BvS, but I feel I just don't have reasons to.

Just now, grey ghost said:

I'm not sensing 200+ m hype for Civil War.

But again, JW was supposed to open around 120 m.

As much as I hate to say it, the hype for JW matched A1. I think it was underestimated because of the subpar performances of the other JP sequels and assumption the modern GA doesn't care about dinosaurs.

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

You can't expect BVS to do $200m+ Opening weekend and not Civil War. 

The last marvel film with those characters did $1.4bn worldwide. BVS added Batman, This one adds Spider Man.  MOS did 650m worldwide.

This is just DC bashing. BVS has to open to $200m but Civil War doesn't??? Nice try.

To me what is more important is where does it leave the Universe?

BvS is a hit but I think it may have reached a max already as its so divisive.

Civil War I think has to be good or else may cause a big decline of the marvel universe after tepid reaction of  AOU.

For example after Im3 and Thor 2 were not that great, CA2 and GOTG really kept audiences going. 

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Pretty sure I remember many people complaining about the ending of the trailer teasing the exact same final act has the first Avengers had. 

GA is also going NUTS with Spider-Man.

It won't out open AOU at least here it just wont O/u IM3 and BVS i guess now is probably the goal. And for JL is the role of the marketing department to sell the film and warner will go all out especially after this breaks 1-1.1 billion people will come again

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I do not think its needed, if they make a film as Good as CA2, it will carry it self to a large gross.

I think 900-1 billion is the target WW for now. 

I think IM3 numbers WW is where it's heading.

Worst case scenario I'd say 1.1 billion (350 m DOM, 750 m OS).

1 hour ago, TommyA10 said:

SW8 is as good of a lock for $200 million opening as it can be (It's not 100% sure but very close to it). If Vader is promoted heavily in Rogue one and actually has a decent role in it it could also break $200 million for the OW.

I don't think Civil War will do it, even with Spider-man. Around Ultron numbers is what I think at best. ($180-$190 million) 

WTF?! Had no idea Vader was in Rogue One...

That's probably my most anticipated movie of the year. Edwards (screw you guys, I liked Godzilla), Desplat, Felicity Jones, Donnie "Ip Man" Yen, and fucking Vader!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Civil War I think has to be good or else may cause a big decline of the marvel universe after tepid reaction of  AOU.

For example after Im3 and Thor 2 were not that great, CA2 and GOTG really kept audiences going. 

I don't think "divisive" is the right word for BvS. I didn't think it was right for MoS, and with BvS is just flat out wrong. The BO will tell the story though.

If Rogue One opens to 200 that would put it on track to finish with 700+, and I don't really see that happening. More likely it opens closer to 150 and finishes with 550-600 or so, provided Edwards actually makes a universal crowd-pleasing hit this time (it was clear Abrams would deliver that, Edwards is a bit more of a wildcard).

6 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Woah, woah, woah, woah! Hold on a minute....i happen to be one of those people who liked TASM2. :pounce: 

And that's saying from someone who:

1. Aren't into the comics.

2. Is not a die hard comic-book fan.

....and 3. Really liked Andrew Garfield's portrayal as the title character.

I'm puzzled by all these ASM2 fans coming out the woodwork. :kitschjob:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Dr.  Strange and GOTG2 can win over audiences though. Dr.Strange specifically could pull in some people who have never watched a superhero film before because of the nature of the character. 

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

If Rogue One opens to 200 that would put it on track to finish with 700+, and I don't really see that happening. More likely it opens closer to 150 and finishes with 550-600 or so, provided Edwards actually makes a universal crowd-pleasing hit this time (it was clear Abrams would deliver that, Edwards is a bit more of a wildcard).

I think people forget that with Holidays the weekend will be back loaded, so getting 200 million is already difficult.

Believe it or not I think SW7 likely could have opened 10-20 million higher at least if it was on a normal weekend. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

If they fudge it to over IM3 then its a fudge.

No way its fallin -18% on Sunday. 

I really hope studios don't start fudging movies by 7 m.

That's overkill. 

But all they need is the headline "Biggest Warner Bros OW" so we should expect 170 m.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The first Avengers did 1.5B WW I think. That is like, a best case scenario for every superhero movie. There is no scenario where an Avengers/Batman/Justice League movie makes 2B WW, IMO. 

A:IW2 can.  Inflation will be so high by 2019 plus expanded overseas, how could it not?

Just now, grey ghost said:

I'm puzzled by all these ASM2 fans coming out the woodwork. :kitschjob:

Well, everyone has their own opinions. I can respect and accept if you didn't like it.......and that's fine. :)

I just happen to like it as someone who generally knows about Spiderman. And i hope my own opinions can be accepted too.