CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

131 Million "in the bank" so to speak. CJohn was right about this one; the sky really is the limit this we.

I guess this has been asked before, but I don't remember because of a spontaneous dizzyness: has there ever been a movie this badly "damaged" by reviews that nonetheless performed beyond expectations like this one? Transformers maybe?

• Like 1

Just now, #ED said:

Perhaps a little better. Wonder Woman continues to be the best reaction.

Lex Luthor got some legit big laughs on my 2nd viewing. More than in the first. 

Just now, incognitoo said:

131 Million "in the bank" so to speak. CJohn was right about this one; the sky really is the limit this we.

I guess this has been asked before, but I don't remember because of a spontaneous dizzyness: has there ever been a movie this badly "damaged" by reviews that nonetheless performed beyond expectations like this one? Transformers maybe?

Transformers is easily the one that comes to mind. The original trilogy, all of them were rotten, and all of them performed like beasts. 

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

Lex Luthor got some legit big laughs on my 2nd viewing. More than in the first. 

Transformers is easily the one that comes to mind. The original trilogy, all of them were rotten, and all of them performed like beasts. 

Even 4 did 2.45 legs

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Whoa, really?  Terminator Genital's plot was impossible to follow.

It's not so much that it's hard to follow as much as it simply makes no sense whatsoever. And then the movie's final hour is one long sensory assault that goes on for what feels like eternity (even my wife commented after the movie that she thought it would never end).

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

That's a pretty good Sat isn't it? Considering all the negative words in the last few days.

Even the low end is ok, but a bit problematic for the long run. 

8 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

Transformers 2. 19% on RT and reached $198m in 5 days ($200m with Puerto Rico). Either number is absolutely incredible even now, but it was truly insane in 2009. At that time only TDK had reached over $200m in 5 days. Revenge of the Sith was in the 190's after inflation adjustment. Everything else was pretty far behind. DMC was in the 170's with actuals I think. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

That's a pretty good Sat isn't it? Considering all the negative words in the last few days.

Pretty confident from my screenings with common folks ans Twitter the word of mouth is NOWHERE close to 3/10 or 5/10. For many it's 7

8 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

This hasn't performed beyond expectations.

It is a rebooted Batman vs a reboot Superman that got a mixed response from the audience in his own movie which also happens to be a sequel to that movie with poor reviews. It is doing fine. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Transformers 2. 19% on RT and reached $198m in 5 days ($200m with Puerto Rico). Either number is absolutely incredible even now, but it was truly insane in 2009. At that time only TDK had reached over $200m in 5 days. Revenge of the Sith was in the 190's after inflation adjustment. Everything else was pretty far behind. DMC was in the 170's I think. 

yeah TF2 did ridiculously well. adjusted for inflation its opening weekend is $233.3M which is just absurd.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Even the low end is ok, but a bit problematic for the long run. 

I think it's a good number. Practically identical to Furious 7's Saturday drop from the true Friday gross. Furious 7 ended up with a 2.4 multiplier. If this thing hits $165m opening, a 2.4 would get it to $396m and at that point WB would fudge it to reach $400m. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Transformers 2. 19% on RT and reached $198m in 5 days ($200m with Puerto Rico). Either number is absolutely incredible even now, but it was truly insane in 2009. At that time only TDK had reached over $200m in 5 days. Revenge of the Sith was in the 190's. Everything else was pretty far behind. DMC was in the 170's I think. 

Considering that 2 is easily the worst of the four (at least in my book), it makes its run even more impressive. Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, Heat Vision said:

Is still doing business in the west coast but good range.

good to know that after a whole 1 day of release, cinemas on the west coast are still selling the tickets for the movie. really amazing stuff.