CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

2 minutes ago, KATCH-2D2 said:

BvS doesn't opening to it's full potential though. Do you think THG would have made that number with the same kind of critical/audience receptions?

We'll find out if someone at Hollywood will ever accept my Harry Potter v. Hunger Games script.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Oh yeah, when Spider-Man showed up in the CW trailer people cheered.

That happened at my screening as well today, a change after the booing of the CW trailer yesterday.

The Joker also got big applause in the SS trailer.

Warcraft seemed to inspire the most indifference, no cheers boos or reactions. Even Ghostbusters got a laugh or two.

3 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

Deadpool did more than every x men adjusted, the only sh movies to out earn deadpool are IM3, TA movies, and TDK and TDKR, SM1 and 2 aka the top of the class superhero movies it was beyond amazing no matter what happens this year its the biggest box office story domestically, unless SS breaks out and matches or beats it

I think Deadpool is more shocking than Suicide Squad. Joker is incredibly popular. Deadpool is like a freaking D list character, or was until very recently! 

4 minutes ago, KATCH-2D2 said:

BvS doesn't opening to it's full potential though. Do you think THG would have made that number with the same kind of critical/audience receptions?

Doesn't really matter. I don't feel like playing the "what ifs" guessing game. It was just a general observation, and it wasn't meant to slight BvS, but to show how ludicrous THG really was coming out of nowhere, in March of all months. No YA series has been able to replicate that success since and I don't know when another ever will. Batman and Superman obviously will have successful blockbuster installments down the line.

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think Deadpool is more shocking than Suicide Squad. Joker is incredibly popular. Deadpool is like a freaking D list character, or was until very recently! 

Nah. He's been pretty popular for a while and his books actually outsell most of the Avengers solos. 

Just now, jandrew said:

Doesn't really matter. I don't feel like playing the "what ifs" guessing game. It was just a general observation, and it wasn't meant to slight BvS, but to show how ludicrous THG really was coming out of nowhere, in March of all months. No YA series has been able to replicate that success since and I don't know when another ever will. Batman and Superman obviously will have successful blockbuster installments down the line.

Really wonder how a non-split Mockingjay could have done. Catching Fire was a critical and commercial high watermark and one single epic finale could definitely have done even better.

Allegiant may actually be the first split book to actually lose money for the studio. Boneheaded decision by Lionsgate.

2 minutes ago, Kraken said:

Nah. He's been pretty popular for a while and his books actually outsell most of the Avengers solos. 

Comics don't really sell much anyway now do they? Certainly not enough to make you think the character has a built-in fanbase to hit $360m domestic. It blew up with casual audiences in a way that could never have been predicted. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That happened at my screening as well today, a change after the booing of the CW trailer yesterday.

The Joker also got big applause in the SS trailer.

Warcraft seemed to inspire the most indifference, no cheers boos or reactions. Even Ghostbusters got a laugh or two.

Trailers I got:

Civil War: Cheers at Spidey

Tarzan: No response

Warcraft: No response 

Suicide Squad: Basically no response but a few stray chuckles at Jai

Ghostbusters: Big laughs at Leslie Jones and the logo joke

I got two of the summer's top 3 and the three biggest bombs of the summer :lol: 

I was really surprised that of all the blockbusters that were shown before my showing, the one that got the biggest reaction was Deepwater Horizon, probably the only "non-blockbuster" among them. Or maybe not. The trailer for that really is (pardon the pun) marvelously edited.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Comics don't really sell much anyway now do they? Certainly not enough to make you think the character has a built-in fanbase to hit $360m domestic. It blew up with casual audiences in a way that could never have been predicted. 

Nah, Deadpool's title at best sells like over 100,000 copies. Not even close to a million. The character was practically unknown to most of the general public. What really helped the film was great marketing by Fox.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Allegiant may actually be the first split book to actually lose money for the studio. Boneheaded decision by Lionsgate.

Wait a minute, isn't there a Divergent movie out right now? Good lord, Lionsgate. Even a movie buff like me wasn't aware. :lol: They really shouldve saved Divergent and kept it on the shelf for a bit, or at least let the THG series finish first. They were too eager and it cost them. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Oh yeah. I guess I just meant that the D-list thing was kinda harsh lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Nah, Deadpool's title at best sells like over 100,000 copies. Not even close to a million. The character was practically unknown to most of the general public. What really helped the film was great marketing by Fox.

Similar to Iron Man. Both of them also had charming actors with sketchy pasts (in different ways) who finally hit the jackpot with a franchise role. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Theaters near me have the following double features currently 

Anomalisa-WTF

KFP3-Norm (they both feature bears I guess)

Revenant-Gods of Egypt (why?)

That's not meant to be a double feature. They are just two movies sharing the same screen. That happens all the time.