CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

I could be wrong but if this movie had better reviews just before release, I think this would have opened north of $200m.

This movie's marketing and fan base of both Batman and Superman should have been enough to take it over $200m. 

I had $175m as the floor and it looks like it'll probably get around that. That being said, the movie is still going to have one of the biggest openings in history and that's nothing to sniff at. All in all, WB should be pleased at this result.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

I could be wrong but if this movie had better reviews just before release, I think this would have opened north of $200m.

This movie's marketing and fan base of both Batman and Superman should have been enough to take it over $200m. 

I had $175m as the floor and it looks like it'll probably get around that. That being said, the movie is still going to have one of the biggest openings in history and that's nothing to sniff at. All in all, WB should be pleased at this result.

Am not sure about 200m, but high 170s to low 180s/177-183m was on cards imo.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

What could be the next 200m OW movie ?

Rogue One has a chance ?

Who knows, maybe the MCU Civil War will do it. Spider-Man should help. Marketing material with Spidey seems to be getting a pretty good reaction from the public. Early May is still a great weekend to open. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think if Rth #s put BvS around 168m, WB will go for 170m in the estimates. I know I would. It's not fudging cause am not advocating changing the actuals. There was so much negativity for BvS 2-3 days before it's release due to RT, that I don't care if WB push the estimates higher for some better publicity. That RT watch was brutal. Next time, full embargo till the day of the release. All tentpoles should do that.

All tentpoles won't need to hide their mediocrity behind embargoes. Besides, the press will catch on if any studio seems determined to hold off bad reviews. That could lead to negative press in and of itself. Best to take their lumps as they come rather than try to keep the public from finding out what critics think. Or better yet, WB could focus more on getting the story and characters right during production so that a last-minute embargo isn't even a consideration.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, The Stingray said:

Star Wars 8. Rogue One might do it. I'm never doubting SW again. Civil War won't come close, imo.

SW8 yes.  RO no.  CW maybe... has to get very positive reactions before OW.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FTF said:

Guessing rth's next update (if there is one) will be $50.5m.

6 minutes ago, Rth said:

Sat

BvS 50.5, Zoo 8.5, MBFGW2 6.3,All 3.6, MFH 3.5

Good guess! 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rth said:

Sat

Yesterday BvS became the first WB movie to earn over 50M on its "true" Friday (TDK had 49M and DH2 had 48M), and today it became the first WB movie to earn over 50M on Saturday. Big milestones for the studio for sure.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rth said:

Sat

Thanks!

7% down from TF. That's a very good hold.

28-30% drop on Sunday will give 35.5-36.5m

82 + 50.5 + 35.5-36.5 = 168-169m.

Just now, a2knet said:

Thanks!

7% down from TF. That's a very good hold.

28-30% drop on Sunday will give 35.5-36.5m

82 + 50.5 + 35.5-36.5 = 168-169m.

Fully expecting a 170M estimate to be given out by WB tomorrow morning. Looks like a new March OW record by a long way.

• Like 2