CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I don't think TDKR is a good comp -- it was the dead of summer and the shooting made Friday evening and Saturday fall off a cliff.

It's a pretty solid number. Not mind-blowing or out-of-this-world, but impressive nonetheless. Looks like LA over-performed slightly, compared to the rest of the country.

I also don't think it's gonna have the absolutely toxic legs some of you are advocating, but we'll see.

I guess it depends on what you mean by toxic legs. Would Man of Steel's 2.26 multiplier (when combining those Thursday showings at the time, though admittedly that's kind of a can of worms of its own) be considered toxic legs? Because that's ultimately about what I'm expecting, and while that's not a disaster, I wouldn't consider it good. The Flixster audience score is already a little beneath Man of Steel and I don't expect it to improve.

Edited by Biggestgeekever

1 minute ago, PanaMovie said:

Well here in my country it seems the long runtime its bringing problems for the theaters

only 5-6 shows per screen when always is 8-10 shows in the day

Its going to affect the showtimes in the US?

Most theaters have this on 4+ screens unless there are under 10 screens.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Well that's the Quietest 27M Opener for Previews I've ever witnessed at my local theatre for selling out only 2 shows the entire day yesterday and today isn't exactly off to a good start either for IMAX.. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying into it that this Preview was that high.. I wish you could be where I'm at right now and you'd understand where I'm coming from...

Yes, because your theater did not do as well, it means that this number is fake and some vast conspiracy. Just like how it sold out more than AoU in Tele's area, it must be padded down to make it seem way lower than it actually was, right? Why use anecdotes now when we have an actual, factual number?

• Like 1

I am more impressed with MBFGW2 though 1m sets it up nicely for around 20m imo. 

Also @Telemachos and @AndyLL is there a server issue this weekend because it doesn't matter what device I am on this website is lagging terribly. I know big weekends bring us more traffic but it's hard to keep up if you can't load things in a timely manner. 

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I don't think TDKR is a good comp -- it was the dead of summer and the shooting made Friday evening and Saturday fall off a cliff.

It's a pretty solid number. Not mind-blowing or out-of-this-world, but impressive nonetheless. Looks like LA over-performed slightly, compared to the rest of the country.

I also don't think it's gonna have the absolutely toxic legs some of you are advocating, but we'll see.

I like that word. ADVOCATING.

3 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

After  WB saw the Abysmal RT Score, it wouldn't surprise me in the least considering how much they have riding on this damn thing..:redcapes:

You're reaching a new low.

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Let's say 27.7 makes up 35% of the total Friday gross? (Ultron's Thursday gross repesented 32.7% of the total Friday). That would give you 79 today and a true Friday of 51.3. Give it a 10% drop from the true Friday tomorrow, which gives you 46.2 on Saturday. A 25% drop on Sunday gives it 34.6 and a grand total of 159.8 million. I'm being very general with the Sat and Sun drops. It might hold a bit better, might hold worse. Bottom line is I'd say it's headed straight for 160.

I think that's basically the low end. Sub-80m Friday, yeah. I do think it goes over 80m, though.

And GREEK WEDDING 2 is gonna be solidly profitable. Good for them.

• Like 1

The key to remember the biggest boxoffice day will be Friday by a huge margin and not because "its sucks!!!! " but due to it being Good Friday.

Meaning Fast 7 fell 12% from Non Previews Friday. Historically DC Comic Book movies are not super strong on Saturday as other mega openers.

So I think people thinking this will increase or stay even on Saturday - minus previews is mostly likely not happening.

That is why a preview as high as Ultron likely does not mean an opening weekend around Ultron. Remember Ultron stayed flat from Non Preview Friday (which was a huge shock) but it fell 11% Sunday. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

How the hell are you guys saying that this is going to be more front-loaded than Age of Ultron? That was a movie that was coming off the biggest opening weekend of all time. Your logic is completely f***** up. I don't understand you guys anymore. It's like there's a collective Mafia mass of mob like attitude here that as soon as someone doesn't like something everybody else has to pile on it. I seriously don't get this site sometimes. I came for the number I was looking for I'm out of here. I'll check back in to see the Friday numbers but I'm not talking to you doofuses anymore this weekend lol enjoy the Bloodbath.

Did you seriously just do a copy-paste rant?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, aliadiere29 said:

People are only saying it's not a good number because it's Batman v Superman.

But according to the forum the wom is great and everyones loving it even though it hasnt been out 24 hours.

Just now, Telemachos said:

And GREEK WEDDING 2 is gonna be solidly profitable. Good for them.

Yeah, I agree.

Too bad that's going to be overshadowed by the fact it's going to have one of the most hideous drop-offs from original to sequel ever. :lol: But we all knew that was coming.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

The key to remember the biggest boxoffice day will be Friday by a huge margin and not because "its sucks!!!! " but due to it being Good Friday.

Meaning Fast 7 fell 12% from Non Previews Friday. Historically DC Comic Book movies are not super strong on Saturday as other mega openers.

So I think people thinking this will increase or stay even on Saturday - minus previews is mostly likely not happening.

That is why a preview as high as Ultron likely does not mean an opening weekend around Ultron. Remember Ultron stayed flat from Non Preview Friday (which was a huge shock) but it fell 11% Friday. 

What history there have 3 big Dx comics movies and one doesn't count for this case there isn't a trend just an observation this is uncharted territory 

11 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Well that's the Quietest 27M Opener for Previews I've ever witnessed at my local theatre for selling out only 2 shows the entire day yesterday and today isn't exactly off to a good start either for IMAX.. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying into it that this Preview was that high.. I wish you could be where I'm at right now and you'd understand where I'm coming from...

Are you really this fucking obtuse?  BvS is playing in 4,242 theaters...you're basing your bull shit conspiracy theory on 0.0002% of "data"???  lol give it a rest BKB.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I think that's basically the low end. Sub-80m Friday, yeah. I do think it goes over 80m, though.

I think it can get up to 165. I have big doubts about it breaking 170, although it wouldn't shock me. 

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by toxic legs. Would Man of Steel's 2.26 multiplier (when combining those Thursday showings at the time, though admittedly that's kind of a can of worms of its own) be considered toxic legs? Because that's ultimately about what I'm expecting, and while that's not a disaster, I wouldn't consider it good. The Flixster audience score is already a little beneath Man of Steel and I don't expect it to improve.

MOS's Walmart thing turns any sort of multiplier estimate into a dumpster fire. I don't think you can just take the Walmart+previews total and use that... on the other hand, clearly there's some demand that would've pushed preview numbers higher. I'm tempted to just pull that 12m off the OW and the total and go from there. So 280/116 is 2.41x. The "true" multiplier might be a touch less.

BVS' legs should probably be a bit less than that... sequelitis, superhero teamup, mixed WOM, poor critical response. So maybe 2.25-2.35x for the range? I know I'm just throwing numbers out there.

• Like 7

164 mill OW with a multiplier of 2,5ish like MOS gives us 400 mill total. MOS had an inflated sunday so its 2nd weekend drop was a huge 65%..

If this stays under or around 65% drop a huge 400 mill number will happen and give it a shot a 1B WW

• Like 1