grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

8 hours ago, grim22 said:

Created by a white supremacist. Great optics all around

"Normally I wouldn't hit on a subject like this, but I hate everything about this poster," Sabo said."With the country as divided as it is, I can only imagine how many people are going to lose their lives after this movie comes out. I can only imagine how many white people are going to get beat up just for being white."

why they wanna be oppressed so bad

• Like 2

• Community Manager
8 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

That's remarkably unfair.

Hollywood isn't full of honest rapists? Next thing you'll tell me is that most of Hollywood is made up of decent folk trying to make end's meet.

• Like 3

This has all been such an astonishing turn of events. Given the bidding war that ensued back at Sundance (from studios that most likely didn't do their homework beforehand), whoever ended up with it was basically gonna buy into a PR nightmare, and unless the team at Fox Searchlight went to Hogwarts, they ended up being the unlucky ones.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This has all been such an astonishing turn of events. Given the bidding war that ensued back at Sundance (from studios that most likely didn't do their homework beforehand), whoever ended up with it was basically gonna buy into a PR nightmare, and unless the team at Fox Searchlight went to Hogwarts, they ended up being the unlucky ones.

Im fairly sure rape PR wasn't a class at Hogwarts.

• Like 3

On 8/16/2016 at 8:37 PM, cannastop said:

Allen and Polanski were busted after they had an established directing career.

No one really gives a shit about Victor Salva.

Everyone should give a shit about all of them. 

Allen, Polanski and Salva are not merely rapists, they are child predators. At least Salva was tried and convicted of his crime and served time for it. (The fact that he continues to work on films with underage actors to this day is problematic, however.)

Polanski fled prosecution and Allen eluded it, even marrying one of his victims. Both continue to work and are feted by Hollywood, when they should have been driven out of the industry years ago. The reason all three continue to prosper is the attitude of people steeped in rape culture, who are willing to excuse rapists' crimes as long as the criminals are prominent or powerful enough.

All of these men should be treated as what they are: rapists and predators. Until that's the standard for every offender in Hollywood, no one who excuses some rapists can pretend to sit on a high horse. Period.

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, Talkie said:

Everyone should give a shit about all of them. 

Allen, Polanski and Salva are not merely rapists, they are child predators. At least Salva was tried and convicted of his crime and served time for it. (The fact that he continues to work on films with underage actors to this day is problematic, however.)

Polanski fled prosecution and Allen eluded it, even marrying one of his victims. Both continue to work and are feted by Hollywood, when they should have been driven out of the industry years ago. The reason all three continue to prosper is the attitude of people steeped in rape culture, who are willing to excuse rapists' crimes as long as the criminals are prominent or powerful enough.

All of these men should be treated as what they are: rapists and predators. Until that's the standard for every offender in Hollywood, no one who excuses some rapists can pretend to sit on a high horse. Period.

Sont get me wrong...The Pianist is brialiiant filmmaking but..

Yeah, totally, you're right.  Hollywood is fucked up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kowhite said:

Im fairly sure rape PR wasn't a class at Hogwarts.

5 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Yep, more of a Penn State class.

1 hour ago, Gumby said:

Whether it was rape or not, whatever he put the victim through caused her to commit suicide.  

You cannot PR your way out of that.

Fox will try. http://variety.com/2016/film/news/nate-parker-rape-fox-searchlight-tour-1201839773/

Parker and Fox Searchlight, the boutique label behind the film, have no plans to hide the filmmaker from the press. He will still go ahead with a scheduled promotional roadshow, a source close to the studio said — one that will take him to major cities such as Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Boston and San Francisco.

Even though Fox Searchlight is moving forward with its publicity plans, it is getting help from an outside crisis P.R. firm that is routinely enlisted by its parent company, 21st Century Fox

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Fox will try. http://variety.com/2016/film/news/nate-parker-rape-fox-searchlight-tour-1201839773/

Even though Fox Searchlight is moving forward with its publicity plans, it is getting help from an outside crisis P.R. firm that is routinely enlisted by its parent company, 21st Century Fox

Did 21st Century Fox also share these PR experts with Fox News when dealing with Roger Ailes.  If so it might be cheaper to keep them on company wide retainer.

The Daily Beast has in an depth timeline article on this, read it if you can stomach it. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/16/inside-the-nate-parker-rape-case.html

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Fox Searchlight might as well go down with their sinking ship.

Not that the movie is at fault, though. I'm sure it's well-made. I'm just not gonna pay to see it.

You aren't, but other people will. The movie is not as DOA as we make it out to seem, or want it to be. Sure, awards watch may be worthless now, but let's not act like this is going to open below "Friend Request" and "Middle School: Worst Years of My Life."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

I really would rather not go down this path, but Sean Penn never raped anyone, and there are plenty of people in Hollywood (liberal or not) who really don't care much for him.

Imo considering some actors have gone down for rants and tweeta the fact he garners respect shows how shallow and hypocritical hollywood is.

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

I really would rather not go down this path, but Sean Penn never raped anyone, and there are plenty of people in Hollywood (liberal or not) who really don't care much for him.

He raped El Chapo's privacy :redcapes: 

• Like 1