CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

9 hours ago, a2knet said:

I haven't completely verified but seems the 3 movies that did less than 2x after a 50m+ ow are,

Valentines' Day 56.260 ow / 110.485 dom / 1.96x

50 Shades of Grey 85.171 ow / 166.167 dom / 1.90x

Watchmen 55.214 ow / 107.509 dom / 1.95x

BVS looking at 327.5 (325-330) dom which will be 1.97x after a 166.001 ow

Record previews and size of the ow does not help BVS's multiplier but still no excuses. If it does 327.5 dom then after 27.7 in previews, it will have added "only" 299.8 more to it's run.

I looked through it two weeks ago, Paranormal Activity 3 also had less than a 2x. So 4 movies that opened to over 50M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mredman said:

On 4/16/2016 at 7:01 PM, The Futurist said:

Shit just got real.

Who opens the 

Jungle Book over BvS Dom ?

On 4/16/2016 at 7:02 PM, Jayhawk said:

I think it's happening.

don't think so

So a live action family film that opens almost $20M over expectations and has a 95% RT score has no shot at a x3 multiplier? That's all it will take to get it within striking distance of BvS. Just look at what Zootopia's run has done. It opened with $75M and it's over $300M and BvS has just managed to crawl past it. In a couple of weeks Zooptopia will probably over take it again because that's what great reviews, great legs, and great WOM will do for you even if you don't have a huge OW. JB will more than likely out gross BvS and most of us won't be a bit surprised, not after this surprise OW.

Edited by jedieb

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I can't wait to read Baumer's rave review of Garry Marshall's sure to be abominable assault on Mother's Day lol hehe.

The first one was unwatchable, the second one was somehow ever worse, I can't even imagine sitting through the third one. And I watched Ridiculous Six! Of my own volition!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The first one was unwatchable, the second one was somehow ever worse, I can't even imagine sitting through the third one. And I watched Ridiculous Six! Of my own volition!

It boggles the mind so many talented people would put their trust in Garry Marshall circa 2016. My god. Why do this to yourself even as a favor, Julia (that wig lol still)?

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It boggles the mind so many talented people would put their trust in Garry Marshall circa 2016. My god. Why do this to yourself even as a favor, Julia (that wig lol still)?

Hey, at least it gets their names in the press.

Just now, filmlover said:

She was in one of the other two for like 3 minutes and got 20 million for it

• Like 1

On 4/16/2016 at 2:06 AM, filmlover said:

Yeah, I've officially joined the "BvS is a tremendous disappointment" camp at this point. I thought it would stabilize eventually but obviously it won't. It's going to miss $330M at this point. No doubt the WB executives are just freaking out right now, which seems par the course for them.

And to think that tracking the week-to-week box office for BvS and CA:CW at the same time was once a real possibility. 

Extraordinary opening for The Jungle Book. As with their other huge budget remakes, they did a tremendous job of selling the film to families while also tapping into nostalgia for non-family audiences. Even with Civil War coming up in three weeks, it should be able to ride great reviews and strong word-of-mouth to a fairly leggy run.

It's crazy that we've had three $100 million openers and will have four releases from February through April that will have surpassed $300 million apiece. Between these performances and those of American Sniper and Furious 7 of last year (and the opening of Fifty Shades of Grey last February, too), it should be clear once and for all that a summer or holiday release isn't necessary for a blockbuster gross.

Barbershop 3, like My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 before it, performed well for a sequel with such a long release gap, even if it's not up to the breakout level of The Best Man Holiday in November 2013. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another installment in the next couple years.

The Boss had a pretty ugly hold. I know that the reviews weren't stellar, but Identity Thief and Tammy were relatively leggy despite negative critical reception. Assuming that it tops out somewhere around $60 million, it will be a hit against its modest budget, but disappointing amid McCarthy's box office track record.

Ouch at that Batman v. Superman hold, but it's too late to hope for it to stabilize in any meaningful way (especially this weekend with the loss of its IMAX screens). Even with the bad word-of-mouth, it's still shocking to see that such a high-profile film is going to finish with a final multiplier under 2.0.

Zootopia didn't hold too badly against The Jungle Book, even if drive-in figures are undoubtedly propping it up. It should surpass Batman v. Superman on the weekend chart next weekend.'

Criminal is a dud, as expected. The concept didn't seem that great in the trailer, and the weak reviews were probably the final nail in its coffin.

Yeesh at that Hardcore Henry drop.

34 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Pretty sure that it was against the rules to say there is a smear campaign dedicated to sabotaging this movie too...

I replied the way I did to those comments twice because it's ludicrous.

Super hero flailing...well that gif of Superman is just too funny. Especially since it's to an animal.

The apparent campaign failed so no harm no foul.

12 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Extraordinary opening for The Jungle Book. As with their other huge budget remakes, they did a tremendous job of selling the film to families while also tapping into nostalgia for non-family audiences. Even with Civil War coming up in three weeks, it should be able to ride great reviews and strong word-of-mouth to a fairly leggy run.

It's crazy that we've had three $100 million openers and will have four releases from February through April that will have surpassed $300 million apiece. Between these performances and those of American Sniper and Furious 7 of last year (and the opening of Fifty Shades of Grey last February, too), it should be clear once and for all that a summer or holiday release isn't necessary for a blockbuster gross.

Barbershop 3, like My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 before it, performed well for a sequel with such a long release gap, even if it's not up to the breakout level of The Best Man Holiday in November 2013. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another installment in the next couple years.

The Boss had a pretty ugly hold. I know that the reviews weren't stellar, but Identity Thief and Tammy were relatively leggy despite negative critical reception. Assuming that it tops out somewhere around $60 million, it will be a hit against its modest budget, but disappointing amid McCarthy's box office track record.

Ouch at that Batman v. Superman hold, but it's too late to hope for it to stabilize in any meaningful way (especially this weekend with the loss of its IMAX screens). Even with the bad word-of-mouth, it's still shocking to see that such a high-profile film is going to finish with a final multiplier under 2.0.

Zootopia didn't hold too badly against The Jungle Book, even if drive-in figures are undoubtedly propping it up. It should surpass Batman v. Superman on the weekend chart next weekend.'

Criminal is a dud, as expected. The concept didn't seem that great in the trailer, and the weak reviews were probably the final nail in its coffin.

Yeesh at that Hardcore Henry drop.

Barbershop 3 is doing much better than Greek Wedding 2. Greek Wedding 2 is losing 90% of Greek Wedding 1's audience

42 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

jesus christ baumer, every time you see a movie you get worse. you really do like every single film you see :lol:

WTF are you talking about?  I dislike just as much as I like.  And I like what I like.  There's certain films that appeal to me.....this is obviously one of them.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Jennifer Aniston and Kate Hudson are jokes. Julia Roberts can be good in the right role but she's no great talent. They can't do any better than Gary Marshall in 2016. 

• Like 1