CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

Forbes does give some interesting numbers to play with - particularly the 166m of the OZ comparison (not compatible I know) - just stoking the flames a little bit :ph34r:

but seriously, he gives good reasoning why it could go over 100m - which would be INSANE!

24 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

4.2M is still great, on par w/Summer release based on much more popular property Maleficent (seriously, The Jungle Book is probably the least popular movie Disney's remaking; everybody knows Alice and Cinderella, Maleficent is widely considering one of the greatest villainesses, and even Oz is arguably more popular). But C'MON NOW, you just made 4.2M seem disappointing, CJohn, great fucking job :angry:

As a story Cinerella might be the most famous fairytale of all time and Maleficent as a character is uber-iconic, but if we are talking disney animations Jungle Book is more beloved than Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Alice combined.

Also great number! How does it compare to Alice? They both opened in spring, right?

• Like 1

So here's the thread so far if anyone missed anything.

1. CJohn trolled

2. Everyone roasted CJohn for trolling

3. Everyone still goes gaga over JB's real numbers and tries to extrapolate for the weekend.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Screw it, raised my prediction to 90M

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm going to say 90M as well.

These are no longer predictions, they are projections based on thursday previews.  :P

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

I'm thinking 90m too.  Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Disney taps for Favreau for SW spinoff after this weekend.

I'd be thrilled with Favreau doing a SW film.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Joel M said:

As a story Cinerella might be the most famous fairytale of all time and Maleficent as a character is uber-iconic, but if we are talking disney animations Jungle Book is more beloved than Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Alice combined.

Also great number! How does it compare to Alice? They both opened in spring, right?

Alice was 3.9M but this was only midnight showings and long before preview shows on Thursday 7pm became a common thing.

Good number for Jungle Book, looks like 80-90M should happen with a Friday around 30M.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAR said:

I'm thinking 90m too.  Plus I wouldn't be surprised if Disney taps for Favreau for SW spinoff after this weekend.

Favreau will do a Jungle Book sequel.

29 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Hmm, I don't know about that... when I mentioned 'popular', I meant in the vein of general knowledge. The casual audience is very aware of what Alice In Wonderland and Cinderella are, two of the most legendary fairytales of all time, and I think The Jungle Book is less widely known than them. But even in those other terms, I'm pretty sure Alice and Cinderella (the Disney animation versions) are both very well liked. I'm not saying JB is hated or anything, not even close, but I always saw it as more... unnoticed compared to those other classic animations. Definitely agree w/Sleeping Beauty though, but Maleficent is more iconic than any JB character.

As for the Alice comparision, Alice did 3.9M on previews. I wouldn't jump out to celebrate just yet, as again, Alice had the 3D hype wave and it didn't quite open in the same time (I believe it opened in early March), but still. It'll probably open higher than Zootopia at this point, w/an 80M floor. 100M is flirtable assuming that the movie can secure a 30-35M Friday at the very least, which is possible. Great numbers, regardless, and it'll probably dwarf Cinderella's opening, which is pretty impressive.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3