CJohn

Weekend Thread | The Jungle Book - Early Weekend Estimates 101m - 103m (DHD - Page 59) (Fri 32m, Sat 41.5m-42m) | RTH Saturday Early Est = 40-44M (Page 46) | Barbershop TNC - Est 20.4m (DHD) | Boss -59% | Hardcore Henry epic -71%

Just now, johnboy3434 said:

Why not? Furious 7 dropped 62.7% on its fifth weekend, and BvS has been consistently been underperforming it. It's entirely possible that today is the last day that BvS makes over a million.

Didn't Furious 7's fifth weekend fall on Ultron's OW? Not exactly the same thing.

• Like 3

I'm really happy for John Favreau. It kind of feels good to be a fan of his. What an awesome career the guys had coming from the Indie darling that he did with swingers all the way up to Being one of Disney's Big Time directors. Good for him now let's see if him and Vince Vaughn can do another awesome movie together

• Like 8

Favreau will probably be given the Obi-Wan Kenobi or Boba Fett movie now (whatever Disney feels like greenlighting first out of those two). I mean, if you can make The Jungle Book open to 100M+, I think Disney will give you freedom to do whatever the fuck you want.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Huntsman, Alice, Now You See Me 2, Warcraft, Tarzan and Ice Age all in the next few months.  I think X-Men and Star Trek will disappoint as well.  

Erm, do you actually know what "bomb" means?

Ice Age is not going to bomb. The last one made 900M on a 90M budget. One before that made 900M on a 90M budget. I think there's a trend here...

Why would Now You See Me bomb? The first one had a 4x multi, that's super rare for an action/heist movie. It was really well liked, there's little reason other than competition why this one would not have an increase of sorts.

Why is X Men going to "disappoint"? Unless your idea of disappointment is anything under 300M.

2 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

Ice Age is not going to bomb. The last one made 900M on a 90M budget. One before that made 900M on a 90M budget. I think there's a trend here...

Why would Now You See Me bomb? The first one had a 4x multi, that's super rare for an action/heist movie. It was really well liked, there's little reason other than competition why this one would not have an increase of sorts.

Why is X Men going to "disappoint"? Unless your idea of disappointment is anything under 300M.

Because it's on a crowded release date and nobody was really asking for a sequel. The first Ted had a 4 multi and look how Ted 2 turned out.

3 minutes ago, Treetrunk Special said:

I didn't say bomb, I said disappoint.  

I think Now You See Me 2 is a sequel nobody asked for, much like Huntsman or Alice.  The originals also did well, but think they were self contained movies that didn't call for a sequel or prequel and people aren't going to be nearly as interested in Now You See Me 2.  

X-Men is going to disappoint in my opinion because of some oversaturation, because of some older family audience split with Alice and because it is a X-Men movie with no Wolverine or older cast like Stewart or McKellan.  I think it is closer to the draw of First Class than DOFP.  It will make more than First Class, but think there are factors working against it.  

Ice Age may do fine internationally, but I think domestic it is hurt by Secret Life of Pets and diminishing intrest.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I'm really happy for John Favreau. It kind of feels good to be a fan of his. What an awesome career the guys had coming from the Indie darling that he did with swingers all the way up to Being one of Disney's Big Time directors. Good for him now let's see if him and Vince Vaughn can do another awesome movie together

I didn't know you was a fan. 

He's a pretty competent director to me. And since he gave me Elf and Iron Man, he always get a pass in my book. 

Slightly OT, but always feel weird seeing him in Friends lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

For those who have seen Jon Favreau's TJB.....wonder what the sequel will be about?

Maybe Bagheera & Baloo brings Mowgli to the man-village in the next one. That would be interesting, wouldn't it?

I actually don't think it needs a sequel. Not story wise anyway.

But yeh, money wise they'll just make one anyway. 

I just got back from Zootopia and it made me forget about The Jungle Book already.

Zootopia was such fun, loved the lead character. Some hilarious jokes too. 

After seeing both in one day, Zootopia was, IMO, a far superior film that deserves its success. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

103 million?! Well if Disney had doubts about doing live action remakes before they're certainly gone now.

Jungle Book has wider demographics catch than girl-centric titles like Cinderella, Oz & Maleficent.

Alice 1's larger OW can only be explained by Johnny Depp's presence which may bring in older teens

and also the novelty of 3D back then. Action, animal attacks, visual fx - wider demo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chewy said:

Also no one is debating that BvS will make WB money. People talk about it having historically awful legs and then someone else will jump in with "but it made WB money". These are two unrelated thoughts that somehow get all mixed and twisted up

It's extremely obvious that BvS has bad legs. It's extremely obvious that WOM is mixed-to-poor among the general audience. More so domestically than internationally, but the point remains. The movie strongly appeals to a large number of DC fans, but that's about it. There's no way to argue otherwise. It's way past time to move on.

13 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

Please no. It'll be like the PC 80s and 90s when he was only allowed to sleep with one woman and like T2 where he will only injure not kill people.

And oh the product placement. Mickey Mouse  exploding watch and star wars condoms for the one woman he hooks up with!

PC 80s and 90s? Jesus, I wonder what you classify the current era of film then. The 80s and 90s were absolutely radical in comparison to the current era of film-making. The 80s and 90s for one thing, that was the peak golden era for hardcore rated-R action movies, as well as rated-R action comedies and cult classic "buddy cop" rated-R action comedies. It was also a classic era of an assortment of great comedies, some that were rated R, some what were not, but most that now would be guaranteed rated R due to the generous use of lewdness, nudity, profanity, and other such "non PC" content. Nowadays we get almost nothing like that. The cherry-picked examples you provided of the 80s and 90s are not representative of the entire era.

Edited by Fromthegrave
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I just got back from Zootopia and it made me forget about The Jungle Book already.

Zootopia was such fun, loved the lead character. Some hilarious jokes too. 

After seeing both in one day, Zootopia was, IMO, a far superior film that deserves its success. 

:mellow:

21 minutes ago, Sam said:

I didn't know you  an. 

He's a pretty compet.ent director to me. And since he gave me Elf and Iron Man, he always get a pass in my book. 

Slightly OT, but always feel weird seeing him in Friends lol. 

I could write an essay on my admiration for Favreau. Swingers is one of my fave movies and i think its one of the 50 best scripts ever written.

• Like 1