WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates (Page 30): The Jungle Book - 60.8M (96M OS) | The Huntsman: Winter's War - 20.1M | Barbershop 3 - 10.8M | Zootopia - 6.6M | BvS - 5.5M

34 minutes ago, Baumer said:

But it's on pace for a 62 mill weekend.  

Yeah, I'm failing to see how a roughly 40% drop after a 100+ million weekend can be seen as anything other than fantastic.  And in fact, while I probably missed something because I only took a quick look,  I think the only $100+ mil openers with a sub 40% second weekend drop were Spiderman, Shrek 2 and The Force Awakens and both Shrek 2 and The Force Awakens benefited from holidays in their second weekend. 

Edited by SoSaysI
  • Like 6

Predicts for the coming weeks of Jungle Book

April 22-24: 64.5M (196.2M total)

April 29-May 1: 40.0M (260.1M total)

May 6-8: 22.0M (299.9M total)

May 13-15: 15.4M (328.6M total)

May 20-22: 10.0M (343.7M total)

May 27-29: 4.7M (350.7M total)

Edited by Blank Panther

A24 expanded Green Room to 26 theaters and will earn around $252k (+186% and a solid $8.6k p.s.a.) for a new $367k cume. http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/04/23/friday-box-office-jungle-book-holds-strong-batman-v-superman-tops-iron-man-2/#5c2300595f35

Yessss. This is kinda my favorite movie of the year so far. Either that or The Witch. Go A24! 

2 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

The majority of those totals are not going to happen, but after seeing the trailer for The Girl on the Train, it surely is not going to gross anywhere near that much. 

Why so? I can see Girl on the Train, but why the rest? 

Most of them except Passengers have some valid reasoning as to why they'd gross that amount I predicted. I can see how some of those might not happen, but they're certainly not guaranteed to fail (in terms of meeting my expectations) 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

The only September/October releases I see over 100M are Magnificent Seven, Sully, and Deepwater Horizon (Story of Your Life if it's released then)

Storks could do Hotel Transylvania numbers. Barren competition on the kid front around that time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The only September/October releases I see over 100M are Magnificent Seven, Sully, and Deepwater Horizon (Story of Your Life if it's released then)

Why Story of Your Life? Obviously there's no footage yet, but judging by the synopsis, I don't really see anything that screams $100M, unless it's an Oscar frontrunner.

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sully will probably be another lesser Eastwood. Deepwater Horizon is Lionsgate so at most it will do 12-14M OW.

Magnificent 7 and Storks will do 100M, tho.

• Like 1

I dont buy the "this actor is box office poison" thing, unless it's a pretty hated actor.  Nobody is going to not go see a movie because x actor is in the movie, they'll not go see it because it looks bad.  Usually in the "box office poison" cases it's the actor not being able to secure good roles, or them having a sucky manager who's bad at picking movies for them.

Edited by The Panda Knight
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't see Sully getting anywhere close and might be lucky to make $50m domestic given Bridge of Spies with a better release date and Spielberg couldn't get to $75m domestic.  Deepwater Horizon would be very lucky to get there as Captain Phillips barely made it over $100m with a better studio, director and story.  

Edited by nilephelan

finally saw zootopia, cute animation flick i like the values even if script is a bit light for me but eh kids stuff but before that i watched everybody wants some ,soundtrack can't go wrong with 70s music lol

fashion was lol all those guys in short short tyler hoechlin from teen wolf my my my easy on the eyes , i like movies that focus on a specific moment in time , instead of showing us these kids entire years as a besaball team they focus on a couple days between moving into college and actual starting date of classes 

Edited by ladyevenstar22
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

And be picked up by Lionsgate for distribution. Bizarre! 

Perhaps all of the studios are afraid to touch anything that has to do with the Middle East these days. Could explain why it took a while get distribution: it was shot in early 2014, and the reviews were mixed leaning towards positive.

5 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I don't see Sully getting anywhere close and might be lucky to make $50m domestic given Bridge of Spies with a better release date and Spielberg couldn't get to $75m domestic.  Deepwater Horizon would be very lucky to get there as Captain Phillips barely made it over $100m with a better studio, director and story.  

Hollywood keeping setting big budget movies at the same frame because of the very crowded slate. They are throwing a lot of money in search of profit. It is like gambling, some succeed and lots will fail.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Perhaps all of the studios are afraid to touch anything that has to do with the Middle East these days. Could explain why it took a while get distribution: it was shot in early 2014, and the reviews were mixed leaning towards positive.

I don't doubt that.

Also the trailer made the film look pretty poor too, though that could have been the result of bad editing more then anything. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis