CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

14 minutes ago, kswiston said:

I know there is a difference in reception but Thor and Iron Man 2 opened on Mothers day weekend. Their Sunday drops didnt seem to be particularly good for this time of year. 

Edit: At best I think the day will be neutral.

I'm gonna say 25% drop.

Thats a huge number. But it also tells us nothing in terms of what the weekend number will be. Range is probably 180-225.1 :)

• Like 11

Just now, Biggestgeekever said:

Nerd analysis: Disney spent about $4M paying off critics, and well, that had to come out of the box office somewhere, might as well have been the midnights. Expects huge things today!

/dead

I don't see why people expected this to have higher previews then age of ultron

188 to 190 is a huge weekend and would lead to 450 total and more.

You guys are on crack

• Like 6

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

I don't see why people expected this to have higher previews then age of ultron

188 to 190 is a huge weekend and would lead to 450 total and more.

You guys are on crack

Because it was selling better on Fandango and had more sellouts in some areas.

3 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Thats a huge number. But it also tells us nothing in terms of what the weekend number will be. Range is probably 180-225.1 :)

Yep.  I feel like The Force Awakens has completely thrown opening weekend expectations out of wack for people when there are some that are disappointed with $25 million in previews or a potential $180 million opening weekend.  Similar to people slamming Batman v. Superman opening up to $166 which while maybe a little below expectations was still gigantic (now the rest of that movies run is another story altogether). 

• Like 9

Good number. Is it just me, or is the BO becoming rather dull. I dunno, even a 200m isn't that exciting anymore. It's just kind of 'expected' now that a film like this will open to a huge number like 190m or 200m. I remember the days when midnight/preview numbers were hotly anticipated, and usually shocking. They're not at all anymore. Usually the rest of the run is much more interesting now than initial opening. Maybe it's just me. 

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 1