Blankments

Hacksaw Ridge | Nov 4 2016 | Lionsgate | WWII movie directed by Mel Gibson. Starring Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Luke Bracey, Teresa Palmer. The movie gets the BOZ/Tele/WB seal of approval.

I am so happy with these reactions. Whatever anyone thinks about Gibson as a person, he was always a great director. My only concern about its success is the bland trailers, they don't seem to advertise the same movie that critics and people from early screenings descibe.

33 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I am so happy with these reactions. Whatever anyone thinks about Gibson as a person, he was always a great director. My only concern about its success is the bland trailers, they don't seem to advertise the same movie that critics and people from early screenings descibe.

Hmmm. Well, gore removed, it's a very old-fashioned sort of movie. And if you know the basics of the story, the story beats are familiar. They're done well, but for the most part you're not gonna be shocked or surprised by major plot revelations. That didn't bother me, and I was completely engaged with the story, but I can see some people perhaps being bored occasionally.

There was more humor than I was expecting too.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Joel M said:

The main trailer is very well done.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gumby said:

Roger Friedman bringing up old Gibson comments and is obviously trying to sink any momentum the film or Gibson is getting.

They're going to come up for the rest of his life any time a new movie/project from him is opens in the same way the Woody Allen allegations are brought up every time a new movie of his is released, so you might as well get used to it.

1 hour ago, Gumby said:

Roger Friedman bringing up old Gibson comments and is obviously trying to sink any momentum the film or Gibson is getting.

I think some people believe its unfair that Gibson's past has largely been absent this year(so far at least) whereas Nate Parker's past has made him a pariah and tanked any chance of his film getting awards traction.   

Problem is I think being an unstable alcoholic saying racist shit can be forgivable if you get help(which I think Gibson did I'm not sure) whereas raping a women with your screenwriting buddy that results in that women's suicide is not, especially if you act like you're the victim.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I think some people believe its unfair that Gibson's past has largely been absent this year(so far at least) whereas Nate Parker's past has made him a pariah and tanked any chance of his film getting awards traction.   

Problem is I think being an unstable alcoholic saying racist shit can be forgivable if you get help(which I think Gibson did I'm not sure) whereas raping a women with your screenwriting buddy that results in that women's suicide is not, especially if you act like you're the victim.

BoaN couldn't shift the focus to anyone but Parker, since he was such a big part of the film on both sides of the camera. Hacksaw pushed the true story angle initially and they can just throw Andrew Garfield out there. The most "controversial" personal stuff they could ask him is about Spider-Man or Emma Stone. They didn't use Gibson's name to promote it at first, though obviously the director of Bravehart and PotC isn't a mystery.

There was a sense of discovery to the general public with Parker's past, since he wasn't all that famous before and the entertainment world had little reason to talk about any aspect of his life, so the outrage was fresh and the more the layers were peeled back, the worse it became. And let's face it, a lot of the "separate the art from the artist" talk comes after a person has done a lot of admired/respected work, so if you're new, there's less goodwill stored up, fewer people who'll be in your corner no matter what. Gibson's controversies and dramas were top entertainment news, mugshot and audio blasted everywhere, and people's feelings about him on on either side took shape years ago.  If the arrest report or Oksana tapes were just being released this month, then yeah, there would be more debates about Mel's character and whether his art deserves to be rewarded. But you could hide Gibson and still sell this, when it was impossible with Parker and BoaN.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 3

On 10/24/2016 at 7:22 AM, The Futurist said:

Telemachos died this year during the moderation of the superheroes threads.

Had to be reborn as Nutella.

Same difference, Telemachos...Nutella...

either way, he's still filled with creamy goodness (and Peanut Butter is still better).

• Like 3

also nate parker and fox were the ones to set up the interviews to 'clear the air' over his past. Mel, so far, has not done anything that monumentally stupid. generally entertainment journalists don't bring up this seedy shit in interviews cos they're all butt lickers but parker gave them the key to the door to do it.

• Like 1

Hehe, nominated in EVERY category except Best Adapted Screenplay which is impossible I think because it is not adapted(?).

This film will do so much better than the (at the moment) projected 8M/28M. I'm still not sure if it will have an „only“ decent OW or straightway be a breakout hit but with every day I'm more confident that it will break out.

• Like 1