Blankments

Hacksaw Ridge | Nov 4 2016 | Lionsgate | WWII movie directed by Mel Gibson. Starring Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Luke Bracey, Teresa Palmer. The movie gets the BOZ/Tele/WB seal of approval.

On 9/6/2016 at 3:43 PM, nthanh61 said:

A good interview with Mel. Also, he answers a question about that Viking movie some of you were wondering about.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/mel-gibson-venice-festival-comeback-163638110.html

Interesting perspective on budgets though Lethal Weapon 4 had an insane (4 times bigger than #3) $140m budget 18 years ago... 

Though that might have had a bit to do with some actor's salary.  B)

• Like 2

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/brad-pitt-compares-mel-gibsons-the-passion-of-the-christ-to-l-ron-hubbard-propaganda-a7237246.html

Brad Pitt compares Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ to 'L. Ron Hubbard propaganda

While being interviewed by Man Booker Prize-winning author Marlon James for the New York Times Style Magazine (Via IndieWire), Pitt discussed how he would like to make a film about Pontius Pilate, one that  “won’t be for the ‘Passion’ crowd.”

James replies by saying Gibson’s film drove him out of the church, to which Pitt says: “I felt like I was just watching an L. Ron Hubbard propaganda film.” 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/brad-pitt-compares-mel-gibsons-the-passion-of-the-christ-to-l-ron-hubbard-propaganda-a7237246.html

Brad Pitt compares Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ to 'L. Ron Hubbard propaganda

While being interviewed by Man Booker Prize-winning author Marlon James for the New York Times Style Magazine (Via IndieWire), Pitt discussed how he would like to make a film about Pontius Pilate, one that  “won’t be for the ‘Passion’ crowd.”

James replies by saying Gibson’s film drove him out of the church, to which Pitt says: “I felt like I was just watching an L. Ron Hubbard propaganda film.” 

6 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

Mel Gibson should've directed Unbroken.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ethan Edwards said:

I think people are missing the boat on this one by a long shot. Only "high teens" opening?  No way. 

This is movie is still 8 weeks away, and reviews are already coming in and are off the charts. I'm predicting $40mm plus opening and over $200mm. 

Now that would be great :).
I'm pretty sure Mel Gibson is no easy person to handle but he is a great director and brings a lot of emotions into his films. And I would be glad to see Berserker or whatever it is called to get green light by a studio.

When it comes to the boxoffice.com prediction for HR (11/37) I'm also optimistic that this prediction is too low.
Please, what has Mel Gibson to do with the flopping of Machete Kills? ^^
And that the movie is released only a few days before the election - couldn't that just as well be a big plus? I mean The Passion was also discussed controversially.
The film caused a lot of interest already (#26 this week at imdb e.g.), the reviews are (very) good so far and the film has at least two core audiences.

What am I missing?

How could The Passion of the Christ drive someone out of the Church?

And how was The Passion anything like an L Ron Hubbard Scientology propaganda film?  It's based on Biblical texts.  What did Pitt think the film should have been?

Pitt doesn't want to make a Pontius Pilate film for The Passion crowd...who the heck else would see a film about Pontius Pilate?

I know someone who used to work for the Catholic Network EWTN and she got to work on set reports from The Passion and she said Mel Gibson was always very gracious and took the film incredibly seriously.  He was always doing research into little details, whether it was the language or an artifact/prop.

• Like 3

On September 12, 2016 at 7:22 PM, tribefan695 said:

Reviews are very good, especially for Gibson, but I wouldn't say they're "off the charts". That designation is for the Social Networks and Inside Outs

Okay. Call 14 positive and 1 negative whatever you want. I call that "off the charts". 

On 9/13/2016 at 8:03 AM, Iamironman said:

Wont make as much as it could have due to opening next to dr strange 

Yeah, had they had a heavier advertising earlier this could have been massive, still thinking it is being way underestimated, but Dr. Strange should have at least a $60m opening, which makes a $40m+ for this questionable. still think it will do over $100m though.