Blankments

Hacksaw Ridge | Nov 4 2016 | Lionsgate | WWII movie directed by Mel Gibson. Starring Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Luke Bracey, Teresa Palmer. The movie gets the BOZ/Tele/WB seal of approval.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

:WHATanabe: 

That's crazy talk. Best case scenario is 20M. 

We underestimate just how much the US loves the military and war heroes. The community outreach marketing for this will be huge. They will probably get testimonials from the military and also the surviving family and so on.

• Like 2

Just now, grim22 said:

We underestimate just how much the US loves the military and war heroes. The community outreach marketing for this will be huge. They will probably get testimonials from the military and also the surviving family and so on.

It's always hard for me to gauge which of these church-targeted movies are going to break out, I genuinely have no idea

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

A lot of us were thinking the same thing about 13 Hours. Lyin Ted even plugged it at the debate the week it came out.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

A lot of us were thinking the same thing about 13 Hours. Lyin Ted even plugged it at the debate the week it came out.

To be fair, most military movies taking place post 9/11 haven't been successful. WWII I guess is distant enough for audiences that it doesn't hit too close to home.

11 minutes ago, MrPink said:

To be fair, most military movies taking place post 9/11 haven't been successful. WWII I guess is distant enough for audiences that it doesn't hit too close to home.

War movies in general don't do very well unless they have big stars in them (which Garfield isn't yet) or are major Oscar players. Then again, Unbroken made over $100M despite having zero starpower, but that wasn't anywhere nearly as violent as Hacksaw Ridge apparently is. So who knows.

Edited by filmlover

This will do well, but Billy Lynn, Dictor Strange, Arrival, and Fantastic Beast at the same time and coming weeks and having another military theme movie coming weeks after which is the Billy Lynn movie will have it not make big numbers IMO.

Edited by chrisman0606

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

War movies in general don't do very well unless they have big stars in them (which Garfield isn't yet) or are major Oscar players. Then again, Unbroken made over $100M despite having zero starpower, but that wasn't anywhere nearly as violent as Hacksaw Ridge apparently is. So who knows.

The starpower of that one was behind the camera. Plus it had a fantastic marketing campaign too.

This will appeal to more audience that the faith based ones!

This is before anything an inspiring story about a hero. It has a human interest, and that's an easier selling point than 13 hours. And better reviews to solidify interest.

It is really early but hype is already growing. I am feeling a 25M OW, only because it opens in a crowded market

13 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

This will do American Sniper numbers which will cause Hollywood to start throwing tons of money at Mad Mel again which leads to his canceled Vikings movie getting green lit.

I would love that to happen

Mel is an excellent director, and his vikings movie would have been awesome