newbie BO buff

Summer 2016 Bombs

On 5/18/2016 at 6:52 PM, Treetrunk Special said:

"what if animals could talk" is an original concept? LOL.

No, but "what do your pets do when you're not at home?" is (relatively speaking).

They did mention it was Toy Story-esque in terms of plot, so it's not as if they're claiming it's completely original :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahnamahna said:

No, but "what do your pets do when you're not at home?" is (relatively speaking).

They did mention it was Toy Story-esque in terms of plot, so it's not as if they're claiming it's completely original :P

Lolwut?

Toy Story, Lady and the Tramp and 101 Dalmatians would like a word with you.

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Lolwut?

Toy Story, Lady and the Tramp and 101 Dalmatians would like a word with you.

None of those were sold on that premise, specifically.

Toy Story isn't pets :lol:

Lady and the Tramp is a romantic dramedy that includes pets, but Disney's marketing never sold it as "what do your pets do when you're not around?"

101 Dalmatians has more of a case, but the tone is far more serious than SLoP and the movie isn't sold specifically on what the dalmatians do when Roger and Anita aren't around. 

The difference is that SLOP is being sold as a happy-go-lucky comedy. I don't see it having any real serious moments. 

• Like 2

Alice 2 now has a decent chance to do under 75m DOM.  Total.  If it copies Tomorrowland's legs, I'm getting around 75m to 76.5m final gross (depending on actuals).  Last I heard it was doing awful WW as well.  

What's the WW number it would have to pull to not be considered a bomb?  I remember back in the day, the old formula of "multiply a production budget by two" as a ballpark figure was in vogue.  But I haven't kept up to know if that's really accurate.

Would the bomb over/under line be 300m?  200m?  Genuinely curious here, as I have catching up to do when it comes to things like this. ;)

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

Alice 2 now has a decent chance to do under 75m DOM.  Total.  If it copies Tomorrowland's legs, I'm getting around 75m to 76.5m final gross (depending on actuals).  Last I heard it was doing awful WW as well.  

What's the WW number it would have to pull to not be considered a bomb?  I remember back in the day, the old formula of "multiply a production budget by two" as a ballpark figure was in vogue.  But I haven't kept up to know if that's really accurate.

Would the bomb over/under line be 300m?  200m?  Genuinely curious here, as I have catching up to do when it comes to things like this. ;)

I think it's more like 2.5x. but it varies greatly depending on where it grossed where and bigger films may have much larger marketing campaigns than normal too. 

On 29/05/2016 at 6:16 PM, Kalo said:

I think it's more like 2.5x. but it varies greatly depending on where it grossed where and bigger films may have much larger marketing campaigns than normal too. 

Hollywood Reporter stated that Huntsman Winters War would have to make 3x it's $115m to be considered a financial success.

I thought that was a bit much. But we'll go with the trades.

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Mobile(iPhone 5c).

I guess you are linking to local images instead of images on a website. Try uploading to Imgur using the app and link the images. Or if you are copying the image from Safari, you need to paste the URL in the address bar of Safari and then copy that URL and paste, else the images won't show up.

I use an iPhone as well, so these issues have happened before.

• Like 1