newbie BO buff

Summer 2016 Bombs

Star Trek Beyond would have to go sub 100m to really be a bomb of a franchise killer level... but then again I am not sure of the budget and it's probably going to barely gross 500m WW so yeah the box office receipts of the trek films have never been what Paramount has truly been invested in considering the cash cow it is in every other facet.

I think Warcraft could end up being a Pacific Rim - barely crack 100m make enough overseas to not be an outright disaster but not enough overall to avoid being labeled the dreadful b-word.

Frankly if we are talking expectations its Neighbors 2 - the UK/AUS openings already confirmed what a lot of us are thinking.... bombs away on that one (ala Ted 2 on a smaller scale)

• Like 1

It won't be a huge bomb financially but it still seems so weird that STX decided to give Free State of Jones a prime summer spot (and against Independence Day 2, no less). I might see the movie if time and money allow for it but it looks kind of boring tbh.

Edited by filmlover

Alice: Through The Looking Glass - Could drop more than 50% from the first film.

Popstar: Never Stop Stopping

Warcraft

The Legend of Tarzan

Ben-Hur

Mechanic: Resurrection

I don't know what War Dogs, Spectral, Free State of Jones, The Infiltrator, Nine Lives, Kubo and the Two Strings, Hands of Stone are.

Of the 14 films going wide in August, I think only 5 will make over $20M total.

My guesses would be 

Warcraft

Ben Hur

Ghostbusters

Alice

Tarzan

Now You See Me 2

Independance Day 2

Warcraft, Ghostbusters and Ben Hur feel like the ones I know will bomb, the rest, I think they will but wouldn't put money on it.

edit, forgot about Nine Lives, what's the budget on that one, if it's anything over $30 million, I think it will bomb.

Edited by Boxofficerules

6 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

I just feel that no one really seems to like the first movie.

But bombing is completely different than doing less than the first.  Would you call MBFGW2 a bomb?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Baumer said:

But bombing is completely different than doing less than the first.  Would you call MBFGW2 a bomb?

Bomb as in losing money. If budget is $200m + worldwide marketing $200m. Then doing $500m worldwide could be seen as a bomb. Money not recouped from theatrical run. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1