The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Why does it even matter if it was realistic? It's a movie and they don't always have to be documentary like

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stingray said:

But that's open to interpretation though, isn't it? I mean, we don't know for sure if he was a violent man or had those tendencies prior to the Overlook. To me it seemed like poor characterization that one minute Jack Torrance is a semi-normal husband (it's Jack Nicholson after all), and the next he screams and cusses at his wife.

He broke his son's arm prior to the events of the movie, and I'm pretty sure is a recovering alcoholic. And from the moment we see her Wendy looks like she'd more or less gone into survival mode long ago - she never gets too close to Jack, her pleasant banter is forced, she's trying hard to convince herself and others that everything's normal when it isn't. Granted this is all made clearer in the longer 144-minute cut, which is not available everywhere. I myself didn't see it until a year or two ago. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't want to get sucked into this discussion about La vita è bella as I haven't seen it, but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Schleifstein 

Apparently, Joseph Schleifstein was kept hidden from 1943-1945 at Buchenwald.

Again, I'm not saying anything either way about whether or not the film was a realistic depiction of the Holocaust.

Oh, OK. I guess I have to eat crow now.

@rukaio101

Sorry for calling you uneducated.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

He broke his son's arm prior to the events of the movie, and I'm pretty sure is a recovering alcoholic. And from the moment we see her Wendy looks like she'd more or less gone into survival mode long ago - she never gets too close to Jack, her pleasant banter is forced, she's trying hard to convince herself and others that everything's normal when it isn't. Granted this is all made clearer in the longer 144-minute cut, which is not available everywhere. I myself didn't see it until a year or two ago. 

Interesting. Didn't even know there was an extended cut.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

We got it out of the Top 5. Next time we get it out of the Top 10.

Please. I guess I'll take that deal if we get movies like Forrest Gump, Captain America: Civil War, and any Harry Potter movie out of the top 100 also.

Number 6

Pulp Fiction (1994)

109 Points (25 Votes, Avg Score 27.76)

Pulp-Fiction.jpg

"But Marcellus Wallace don't like to be fucked by anybody except Mrs. Wallace."

Number 1 Placements: 3 Placements

Top 5 Placements: 7 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 7 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (25, +19), 2013 (2, -4), 2012 (1, -5)

Tomatometer: 94%

Box Office: 107.93m (217.82m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: Jules Winnfield and Vincent Vega are two hitmen who are out to retrieve a suitcase stolen from their employer, mob boss Marsellus Wallace. Wallace has also asked Vincent to take his wife Mia out a few days later when Wallace himself will be out of town. Butch Coolidge is an aging boxer who is paid by Wallace to lose his next fight. The lives of these seemingly unrelated people are woven together comprising of a series of funny, bizarre and uncalled-for incidents.

Critic Opinion: "The movie, like its dialogue, takes its own digressions. There is a stunning though unnecessary scene set at a fully realized theme restaurant - with Buddy Holly waiters and an Ed Sullivan maitred' - where Travolta takes to the floor with Uma Thurman, the coke-snorting, thrill-loving wife of Rhames, doing a most unexpected twist.

Tarantino is a fan of Mexican Standoff Cinema, the kind you find in the Hong Kong films of John Woo. "Pulp Fiction," like the bloody "Reservoir Dogs," is a universe in which characters face off against one another in perfect triangles of tension.  "Pulp Fiction" is a wild ride, with one insane scene at the heart of it that will truly give you an adrenaline rush. Though redolent of older movies, it feels like something you've never seen before." - Jami Bernard

User Opinion: "Pulp Fiction isn't a movie, it is an experience, it is a gift to true film fans. This may not be for everyone as some people forget this is a film and they think it is a documentary on life and they get offended because it is not about love and honesty and morals and all that other crap that exists in some Hollywood films. This is a film that takes all that you have ever known about film and bludgeons it to death with a pen and paper. It redefines what is acceptable and what is off beat and all it asks you to do is enjoy this film for 2 and a half hours. I did, immensely, and I think most people will, and have. If you really have not seen this, then you are robbing yourself of one of the best cinematic experiences in the history of film. This is easily one of the best films ever made. How anyone can disagree is beyond my understanding and I can't see how you can truly call yourself a film fan if you can't see the brilliance of this film." - Baumer

Personal Comment: Quentin Tarantino makes his appearance on the list again with his most critically acclaimed and famous film, Pulp Fiction.  Few movies can resonate as powerfully as Pulp Fiction has with its inclusion of pop culture merged with shockingly bloody and profane scenes for the time.  Pulp Fiction is the 25th movie of our countdown from the 90s, so if it ends up being the last of the decade that would mean a quarter of the movies on the list were from the 90s.  Pulp Fiction is one that is consistently within my top 15 on any day of the week.  Pulp Fiction stretched the boundaries of what is acceptable in filmmaking and it doe so brillaintly.  This is a movie that you simply have to watch and dissect multiple times, it just calls for it, and in a way that sets it apart from so many others.  The movie is a brilliant take on nihilism, and it's one of the most exciting and wild movies you can watch.

• Like 15

Number 5

Star Wars (1977)

112 Points (30 Votes, Avg Score 28.63)

19fk32sw3nt1wjpg.jpg

"I have a very bad feeling about this."

Top 5 Placements: 4 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 8 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (3, -2), 2013 (4, -1), 2012 (6, +1)

Tomatometer: 94%

Box Office: 307.26m (1.225b Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 6 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: A young boy from Tatooine sets out on an adventure with an old Jedi named Obi-Wan Kenobi as his mentor to save Princess Leia from the ruthless Darth Vader and Destroy the Death Star built by the Empire which has the power to destroy the entire galaxy.

Critic Opinion: "Make no mistake about it, George Lucas’ new science fiction film, “Star Wars,” is a supernova.  But is the movie by the creator of “American Graffiti” as good as all the advance reviews? After all, Time magazine in a six-page spread this week called “Star Wars” the “year’s best movie.” And, Time doesn’t like anything unless it’s complicated and esoteric!  Well, for once, the advance reviews have hit the nail squarely on the head.  “Star Wars” is nothing short of pure unadulterated entertainment, something that has been sorely lacking in a great majority of recent films." - Vern Perry

User Opinion: "Arguably the most influential film of all time, how does Star Wars hold up? Extremely well. Unfortunately, I only had possession of the Special Edition, but it's easy to ignore that gunk and enjoy the economic worldbuilding and storytelling going on. At only two hours long, the film still feels like an epic, full of starmaking performances and wonderful special effects. You can't single out anyone as Hamill, Fisher, and Ford all perfectly embody their characters and make them iconic. The fights are great, although the ending dogfight might be a tad overlong. John Williams' score is astounding and I have to imagine what it would've been like back in 1977 to hear it for the first time. Star Wars is a classic, and I can't really add much that hasn't already been said about it." - Blankments

Personal Comment: The third movie from the Star Wars franchise to make our countdown is the original itself, and boy does it deserve to.  Star Wars is the 9th movie from the 1970s to make our list, and it's the closest a beloved nerd movie that wasn't LOTR has ever come to winning Best Picture.  Star Wars is also the biggest box office behemoth to make our list, meaning Gone With the Wind did not make the cut.  There are few movies that are iconic or as influential as this movie is, so much of modern filmmaking is because of this films brilliance.  Star Wars was revolutionary in its visual effects and original worldbuilding style of storytelling that set the precedent for so many more movies and even video games to come after it.  It's hard to find many modern day franchises in any medium that haven't drawn some influence from the solid foundation this movie set down for the franchise to come.  Star Wars is one of the most wildly entertaining movies of all time, and it's nearly impossible for a person to sit down and watch this without a big giddy grin on their face.

• Like 18

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Well, I have to hand it to all of us, collectively. INTERSTELLAR at #7 is just straight-up master trolling. 

(As an aside, I suspect this is what happens when people make lists of whatever they liked, off the top of their head).

Outdoing Nolan on the Matt Damon tangent. Bravo!