WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

This. I would rather see literally anything else at the multiplex than Captain America 3. Mainly because I might be able to care about what's going on.

Harry Potter is bad enough if you haven't read the books, but at least it follows a linear storyline. The Marvel Cinematic universe requires knowledge of multiple series. You'd have to watch the first two Avengers movies and at least one solo Cap movie to be into Cap 3.

I'm thinking this Cinematic Universe movies are going to have shorter and shorter legs, similar to Potter.  Not because of bad reception, but because the only people who are going to end up seeing IW2 are fans/people who sat through the other Marvel movies.

The Avengers is the new YA franchise.

• Like 2

GOTG is going to do a 2.5, people are heavily anticipating it and won't wait. Spidey/Thor/Panther/Marvel should do a 2.6-2.7. Strange is a wildcard and I think Ant-Man has potential to be backloaded while still below a 3x.

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Why? It's not like either is going to be a humongous success.

Too much competition, X-Men and Alice are both huge summer releases. With the holdovers, they're all going to cannibalize each other.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DAR said:

I'm thinking both it and Alice will drop between 65-70 percent in their second weekends

Nah, Alice should have decent legs I think. Families liked the first well enough even if others didn't and it sounds like it's basically the same level of quality as that one. These live action Disney fairy tales always play well enough with the family demo. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nah, Alice should have decent legs I think. Families liked the first well enough even if others didn't and it sounds like it's basically the same level of quality as that one. These live action Disney fairy tales always play well enough with the family demo. 

The first Alice movie was released when 3D was an exciting gimmick. Now it's fucking everywhere and it isn't special. With The Jungle Book still in theaters, people are going to cotton less to the new Johnny Depp disappointment.

• Like 1

My long range predictions for X-Men and Alice:

X:

May 27: 70M (15M Memorial Day, 13M Tue-Thu, 98M total)

Jun 3: 24M (8M weekdays, 130M total)

Jun 10: 11M (4.5M weekdays, 145.5M total)

Jun 17: 5.5M (2.2M weekdays, 153.2M total)

Jun 24: 2.7M (1M weekdays, 156.9M total)

From there it legs to 160M

Alice:

May 27: 57M (8M Memorial Day, 7M Tue-Thu, 72M total)

Jun 3: 25.6M (8M weekdays, 105.6M total)

Jun 10: 15.4M (5M weekdays, 126M total)

Jun 17: 7.5M (2.5M weekdays, 136M total)

Jun 24: 4M (1.5M weekdays, 141.5M total)

Jul 1: 1.9M (1M weekdays, 144.4M total)

At that point it'll finish somewhere below 150M, cutting close to my club.

46 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I honestly think the bigger deal here is the fact that watching a Marvel movie now without seeing the others is like starting a TV show at season 6.  The people who didn't want to invest in the show before aren't about to now, and they aren't about to watch a movie that just looks confusing if you haven't seen the other movies.

I had a friend who watched CW without seeing Winter Soldier or Ultron and he said  it was good but he just felt lost because he didn't see those movies.  I'm reckoning GA who haven't watched Marvel before aren't about to now.

I however do think there's room to grow in the true solo movies that are more detached from the main Avengers storyline.  For example I think Spidey, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, and Guardians 2 all have room/potential to breakout beyond expectations (if marketed right and if they're good movies) because they're more accessible to people who don't go and watch every Marvel movie.

Like other have said, a shared universe is fun and all, but it's going to have diminishing returns because no one wants to sit through over 24 hours of Marvel movies in order to understand the next Avengers movie that had a cool looking trailer.

Good points. I definitely felt while watching Cap 3 that it would be confusing for someone who hasn't seen the previous movies. The more movies that pile up and the more everything builds on top of itself, the more daunting that becomes for anyone to go back and rewatch everything before seeing the newest entry. $420m is still an amazing result though.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I'm thinking this Cinematic Universe movies are going to have shorter and shorter legs, similar to Potter.  Not because of bad reception, but because the only people who are going to end up seeing IW2 are fans/people who sat through the other Marvel movies.

The Avengers is the new YA franchise.

After reading this comment, I thought about Lionsgate, widely known for making YA genre movies.  They recently released YA flop Allegiant, and what do they have planned for early next year?  A Power Rangers movie.  Where did you think they got the idea for a Power Rangers movie from?  All the other studios would love to have something with as much box office reliability as The Avengers movies and the MCU, yet here, every time a MCU movie is released, and it does not shatter records, there seems to be a panic reaction.  Plus, I have to believe The Avengers makes a lot more off merchandise than anything from the Divergent movies could possibly hope to make.

• Like 5

Number 47

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

45 Points (20 Votes, Avg Score 47.45)

Beautybeastposter.jpg

"For who could ever learn to love a beast?"

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (44, -3), 2013 (68, +21), 2012 (77, +30)

Tomatometer: 93%

Box Office: 145.86m (300.01m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars and first Animated movie to be nominated for Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: Belle is a girl who is dissatisfied with life in a small provincial French town, constantly trying to fend off the misplaced "affections" of conceited Gaston. The Beast is a prince who was placed under a spell because he could not love. A wrong turn taken by Maurice, Belle's father, causes the two to meet.

Critic Opinion: "It’s difficult to over-appreciate this classic film, which features a wonderful message about seeing the true beauty in people. The love story is wonderfully-told and the main characters are fully realized. Aside from that, the film’s vibrant colors are wonderful to behold, and the 3-D only adds to that. The new effects are more subtle than the typical 3-D effects where objects come flying off the screen.

The music remains one of the film’s main selling points. The soundtrack is phenomenal. From the exciting lyrics of “Be Our Guest” to the calm melodies of the title track, this film captures many of the reasons why Disney films are often a magical experience. Listening to the title song in the middle of the film actually gave me goosebumps.

“Beauty and the Beast” remains a Disney classic for many reasons. It may be a simple story that children can understand, but its themes and its presentation are magical. It’s no wonder that this film remains a modern-day classic." - John Hanlon

User Opinion: "One of the best Disney Animation Classics. Everything's really just perfect, and the best aspect of the movie for me is characterizations. Every characters, especially the leads and the villain, are so well crafted with layers and back stories. 

Gaston is such a great villain, whereas other villains of Disney are purely evil, cruel, ruthless,etc... Gaston is absolutely despicable in many ways. I don't know why, but I always find that type of antagonist very interesting. 

Belle is one of my favorite Disney female protagonists, good and aspiring character." - Sam

Personal Comment: Beauty and the Beast comes in as the second movie from Walt Disney, the 5th animation so far, and the 10th movie from the 90s tying the decade with the 80s and 2000s for second place in the decade contest.  There's few movies out there that are able to play out as true of a classic as Beauty and the Beast can.  The animation in the movie is gorgeous to watch, the songs stick to the memory, and the film is cut to being flawless in its form and how it flows.  The movie is an example of a film being absolutely everything it could have been and playing it perfectly.

• Like 6

I'm baffled at this thread.

How can anyone say Civil War is a disappointment?

What will it take, another $1.5B grosser before people say a marvel movie performed "fine"??

Because, clearly, $1.4B was not enough.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I'm baffled at this thread.

How can anyone say Civil War is a disappointment?

What will it take, another $1.5B grosser before people say a marvel movie performed "fine"??

Because, clearly, $1.4B was not enough.

it's not making 1.4 billion

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Noctis said:

I'm not understanding the meltdowns regarding CW's gross. It's what, the eighth Marvel film to be released since The Avengers? It was never going to achieve high legs no matter the reception. DH2 had worse legs than DH1/HBP but was by far more beloved by audiences. There's a point when frontloadedness just becomes natural for a franchise. 

Stop making sense.

• Like 3