WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

46 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Dang it, I was hoping Angry Birds would be a modest success that doesn't make the top 15 for the sake of my Summer Game

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I liked your post and then realized I don't have it in my top 15 either. :(

tv funny smile crazy scrubs

Though I may have underestimated its gross :kitschjob: 

• Like 5

Always had Neighbors 2 pegged for sub $100M domestic.

Yet another case of a sequel nobody asked for (despite digging the original), and all the footage suggested its a carbon copy but with girls instead of boys. Even the good reviews have confirmed that. 

• Like 7

2nd UPDATE, Friday, 11:46AM: Sony/Rovio’s The Angry Birds Movie is flying higher than Captain America: Civil War for the weekend according to matinees, on course for a No. 1 take between $42M-$44M, putting the Disney Marvel movie at $36M-$37M, down 50% which will take Civil War to $351.3M by Sunday, which is still 6% behind at Avengers: Age of Ultron at the same point in time ($372M).

Angry Birds is looking to hatch $12M for today. Sony is receiving a 7% distribution, and they’re not even on the hook for P&A and the production cost which is reportedly $73M. The big news on this film is it’s multiple, especially as summer break starts. One analyst predicted $150M stateside, which is at least a 3.6. Sony got paid in a separate deal on the special effects for Angry Birds as their own Imageworks unit handled them. In advance ticket sales, Fandango reported that Angry Birds was the top destination for the weekend, pacing in tandem with Hotel Transylvania 2. That pic Adam Sandler sequel debuted to $48.5M.

Coming in much lower as of now is Universal’s Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising despite posting the biggest Thursday preview. Friday is looking at an estimated $9.85M-$9.5M with a shot at a $25M weekend, which would is 49% less than the original’s $49M opening weekend. Perhaps, the late night crowd clicks in after 9PM for this R-rated comedy. We’ll see.

Warner Bros.’ The Nice Guys is projected at a $4.5M Friday for an opening weekend of $11.5M-$12M, which takes into account that its stellar reviews are working in its favor. Last Sunday, the Shane Black film made its Cannes Film Festival premiere.

Sony’s Money Monster is on track to decline 50% for a $7.35M take and a 10 day haul of $27.4M.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Angry Birds is looking to hatch $12M for today. Sony is receiving a 7% distribution, and they’re not even on the hook for P&A and the production cost which is reportedly $73M. The big news on this film is it’s multiple, especially as summer break starts. One analyst predicted $150M stateside, which is at least a 3.6. Sony got paid in a separate deal on the special effects for Angry Birds as their own Imageworks unit handled them.

That seems like a pretty good deal for Sony. No downside.

Just now, Telemachos said:

That seems like a pretty good deal for Sony. No downside.

Seems like it. All Production handled by Rovio who get paid in distribution dollars by Sony, marketing handled by brand integration and tie-ups (and probably Sony handling in-theater marketing like trailers, posters and standees). A big win for everyone involved since they kept costs low.

• Like 3

Warner Bros.’ The Nice Guys is projected at a $4.5M Friday for an opening weekend of $11.5M-$12M

So bad it is not even brutal, it is just hilarious. WB should have given it a different release date.