CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

Anyone think that if they can get their stuff together and begin filming before year's end, that they can get this out by May, 2021? Memorial Day is no longer the curse with Aladdin's massive success.

How about Katherine Langford as Ariel?

She looks the part plus some bonuses:

Langford began voice lessons in 2005, and received classical, jazz, and contemporary vocal training.[8] She was offered a place at Perth Modern School for her senior high years, where she studied music and drama, and was sports captain and a nationally ranked swimmer.

A nationally ranked college swimmer who is well trained in multiple forms of singing who looks the part, is known a little but not overly and has some other films coming out. Plus she was cast in Endgame although it was cut.

She's also been shown to have dyed her hair red from time to time. Considering she was completely cut from Endgame (would have been a great scene to include in the re-release) I can see her being considered.

katherine-langford-l-officiel-paris-june

Edited by jedijake

2 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Isn't it weird that they stated to cast the supporting characters instead of the main star of the movie?

it's Zendaya but they are waiting to announce at the right time. I expect they drop it soon to capitalize on FFH hype. 

Edited by Valonqar

How will Zendaya being cast affect the already present Ariel merchandise and Disney meet and greets? They don't exactly look alike and they aren't about to just throw away all of the old Ariel merchandise. I'm all for diverse casting but at the expense of images from the past 30 years?

Not meaning to sound racist whatsoever, but while adults who were kids in 1989 won't have any issues, what about little kids that discovered Ariel as a pale, redhead girl who looks more Norwegian? 

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

Disney is not going to stop promoting classic redhead animated Ariel just because a different-looking live-action Ariel exists. They didn’t stop selling classic Alice merchandise when the Tim Burton fever dream was popular (though fortunately I never see any guests wearing the Depp hat at Disneyland anymore, it’s back to the classic green one for everyone now).

Edited by TServo2049
  • Disbelief 1

49 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Disney is not going to stop promoting classic redhead animated Ariel just because a different-looking live-action Ariel exists. They didn’t stop selling classic Alice merchandise when the Tim Burton fever dream was popular (though fortunately I never see any guests wearing the Depp hat at Disneyland anymore, it’s back to the classic green one for everyone now).

There was Alice merchandise?

Anyway, what about release date? Any ideas? Thoughts? Predictions?

• ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, stephanos13 said:

Isn't it weird that they stated to cast the supporting characters instead of the main star of the movie?

They also had trouble casting Aladdin, I think he was the last one to be casted

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

How will Zendaya being cast affect the already present Ariel merchandise and Disney meet and greets? They don't exactly look alike and they aren't about to just throw away all of the old Ariel merchandise. I'm all for diverse casting but at the expense of images from the past 30 years?

Not meaning to sound racist whatsoever, but while adults who were kids in 1989 won't have any issues, what about little kids that discovered Ariel as a pale, redhead girl who looks more Norwegian? 

As long as she has red hair and a green tail I think people will instantly recognize Ariel

The adults are more likely to have issues with a black Ariel than children tbh

Edited by Royce

So is this tweet accurate? It was made before the Tremblay and Awkwafina announcements were made

It's weird because Zendaya recently denied it on twitter

Edited by ban1o

19 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Yeah, because actors and actresses are going to spill the beans about being hired for a role before the studio announces it, and NDAs don’t exist. Even if she has already been cast she would never affirm it on Twitter before Disney announces it.

Edited by TServo2049

8 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Yeah, because actors and actresses are going to spill the beans about being hired for a role before the studio announces it, and NDAs don’t exist. Even if she has already been cast she would never affirm it on Twitter before Disney announces it.

but she could have ignored it, which is what she usually does when casting speculations come out. (When she was first announced to be cast in Spider-man I remember she didn't acknowledge it  until filming started) but she specifically replied to a tweet denying it which is why I just assumed it was fake lol. but  considering Jacob and Awkwafina have been confirmed it's looking likely..

Edited by ban1o

13 minutes ago, ban1o said:

but she could have ignored it, which is what she usually does when casting speculations come out. (When she was first announced to be cast in Spider-man I remember she didn't acknowledge it  until filming started) but she specifically replied to a tweet denying it which is why I just assumed it was fake lol. but  considering Jacob and Awkwafina have been confirmed it's looking likely..

A rumor doesn't mean she wasn't in talks for the role.  Actors never usually reveal that because things can fall through. 

On 6/25/2019 at 1:13 AM, Porthos said:

Now she could very well be telling a technical truth (after all it's a rumor until it's announced), so maybe she's just being coy.

As the person who first brought up this tweet in this thread, not only do I want to point out the disclaimer, I would also point something else out:

Actors lie for a living.  Best not to forget that when they say things publicly, especailly when there is wiggle room for interpretation. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ban1o said:

So is this tweet accurate? It was made before the Tremblay and Awkwafina announcements were made

For a hot sec I read this as "Butler as Eric" was about ready to get some knives out.

• Haha 1

I don't really get the whole dolls argument. If Zendaya gets cast, they'll just make Zendaya Ariel dolls. They already did this stuff for Naomi Scott and Emma Watson (although the Watson doll grew to be kind of infamous for looking...not good), and I'm pretty sure dolls based on the animated designs are still being sold in stores.

And if Zendaya is Ariel, I feel confident in saying kids aren't gonna care or be confused by the different appearance (don't start the whole "the red hair is iconic" argument). I feel like we underestimate kids and their intelligence, and I think they can understand Zendaya Ariel and cartoon Ariel are two different interpretations, and will just be happy seeing a character and movie they love in live-action (and for black girls, they get to see a princess that looks like them).

• Like 4

Well if the tweet is accurate then I can imagine a large backlash to casting Zendaya. Honestly as much as I think it's an interesting casting choice I'm surprised because Ariel specially has a pretty iconic look that they've commercialized so much. I liked her in the Greatest Showman though. Harry Styles is.... a choice. Like I know he was in Dunkirk and can sing but...I mean I guess he also has a huge fanbase? I'm not really confident in Gerard Butler singing ability after Phantom of the Opera but I don't think Triton sings much anyway. Is Ariel's mom even in the Little Mermaid?

John Legend is actually a pretty good choice for Sebastian. He'll kick Under the Sea out of the park.

Now watch it be completely fake lol.

Edited by ban1o

Zendaya would be great casting but that Red Neighbor account is suspect, at best. Notice they didn't add Tremblay and Awkwafina to the list until after Kris Tapley tweeted about them first. I'll start believing in RN if/when any of those other actors are announced. 

• Like 1