CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

5 minutes ago, Morieris said:

...Have they redesigned any attraction to fit the live action movies?

White Ariel still exists, they don't have to change anything.

Watch Disney get cheap and just paint over the existing Ariel displays.

I'm sorry.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun

I'm pretty sure Disney never had Depp's Mad Hatter as a walkaround character, even when the first movie was at its peak in popularity, so I don't see why Berry's Ariel would be any different. And I'm pretty sure the Pirates of the Caribbean ride was the only thing at one of the parks to see a notable change after a movie came out (but I wouldn't oppose to an Emily Blunt animatronic at the Jungle Cruise ride).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Complaints are not racist if there is legitimate concerns about the big picture. It is also not racist if you have concerns about Disney's intentions (which I do have). I think they are very transparent and I happen to be a HUGE Disney fan and, I admit to say, apologist from time to time. I think this girl seems great but I think that Disney's inclusion was more than just a way to find a talented girl.

I read some very interesting commentary from African-Americans today online about this. Many were upset and somewhat offended by this choice. This was the reason. There are many many tales, legends, and stories based on African culture and history that would make amazing movies. The person saying that felt that it was very disingenuous to cast a black girl as a traditionally white role because it seems forced. Why not have the courage and guts to go forth and make a true African princess story rather than using (yes the word "using") a white-made story and change the character to black. This one person even said that Black Panther was a great effort but was still a white product. Why by-pass what could be an authentic cultural tale for the purpose of saying "hey, look at us, we are being diverse" by just merely piggy-backing off of a different culture's story (a Norwegian story). Again, this was from an African-American who felt patronized by this choice.

My question would be whether Disney's intention is to make this like the updated Annie or Karate Kid. I'm fine with that if they do. However, it doesn't fit in well with the nature of ALL their other live-action remakes which have all been true to the cartoons in terms of likenesses at least. Many people have been expecting that Little Mermaid falls into those categories and I suspect that many are/will be puzzled by the direction but not speak about it due to fear of being labeled.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 6

2 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

What a fuccking stupid choice!! Now i want caucasian Mulan 

1 hour ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

with this politically correct zendaya it will be the new Elsa

4 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

I think Elle Fanning would be perfect for Tiana in the remake of the princess and the frog

The same joke three times in two hours. It's pretty bold of you to clown yourself like this so frequently, knowing in the end that everyone is gonna make fun of you.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

Complaints are not racist if there is legitimate concerns about the big picture. It is also not racist if you have concerns about Disney's intentions (which I do have). I think they are very transparent and I happen to be a HUGE Disney fan and, I admit to say, apologist from time to time. I think this girl seems great but I think that Disney's inclusion was more than just a way to find a talented girl.

I read some very interesting commentary from African-Americans today online about this. Many were upset and somewhat offended by this choice. This was the reason. There are many many tales, legends, and stories based on African culture and history that would make amazing movies. The person saying that felt that it was very disingenuous to cast a black girl as a traditionally white role because it seems forced. Why not have the courage and guts to go forth and make a true African princess story rather than using (yes the word "using") a white-made story and change the character to black. This one person even said that Black Panther was a great effort but was still a white product. Why by-pass what could be an authentic cultural tale for the purpose of saying "hey, look at us, we are being diverse" by just merely piggy-backing off of a different culture's story (a Norwegian story). Again, this was from an African-American who felt patronized by this choice.

This is basically the internet equivalent of, "I can't be racist because I have a black friend!"

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, jedijake said:

traditionally white role

Disney made the movie once.

4 minutes ago, jedijake said:

you have concerns about Disney's intentions (which I do have).

You are trying really hard to not use the word 'pandering', 'virtue signalling', or 'sjw'

I hope you keep this same energy when prices rise at Disney Land and Cast Members are still sleeping in their cars.

5 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Why not have the courage and guts to go forth and make a true African princess story

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/disney-african-princess-fairytale-movie-sade-1202888258/

• Like 1

"Don't force change on people, let the market decide."

That's been a mantra for a loooooooong time.  As long as I've been alive, I think.

Well Disney is one of THE major players in the entertainment market and I think they have a pretty decent idea of "what the market" wants/is going to want in the future.

This is what 'let the market decide' looks like.  I strongly suspect Disney has made the right bet here, given how other similar bets have gone recently.

In the end, this aspect of the movie will sink or swim (no pun intended) on how good Halle Bailey is in the role.  A few folks throwing their toys out of the pram about it is hardly going to matter in the end.  If Halle Bailey is good/great in this film, their objections will matter about just as much as the objections over Zendaya as MJ in the new Spider-Man films.

I.e: Not at all.

(will make for a tedious thread to read at times, though :rolleyes:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

Now this is what you call inspired casting. This young lady has an amazing voice... as perfect a voice for this role as anyone else I know. I'm now more excited about this film than I would have been had Zendaya gotten the role and I was pretty high on her as well.

25 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Disney made the movie once.

You are trying really hard to not use the word 'pandering', 'virtue signalling', or 'sjw'

I hope you keep this same energy when prices rise at Disney Land and Cast Members are still sleeping in their cars.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/disney-african-princess-fairytale-movie-sade-1202888258/

I actually didn't know about that Sade movie. I'm excited. Btw, I also want them to make a Latin American princess set in ancient Incan culture near Machu Picchu with tales of the Sun God.

"Pandering" is such an evil word but there are MANY African-Americans upset about this because of how disingenuous it seems. And I'm not at all sure what Disney prices and cars have to do with anything. 

Zendaya would've pulled it off nicely IMO, oh well

hqdefault.jpg

The box office is gonna be interesting for this especially internationally

Black Ariel, female Scuttle, etc. Disney is taking risks with this Renaissance remake unlike before

The more accurate the remake is to the original, the more it becomes successful

I'm already seeing a lot of dislikes on YouTube videos that are spreading this news

Imagine if the first teaser for this gets Ghostbusters levels of hate/backlash, yikes

No matter how much we are ok with a Black Ariel there's still a huge amount of people out there who won't be

Remember, no one was angry that the 2019 Genie is black, people were angry when they saw that Will Smith wasn't blue in the first pics released

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1