CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

Just now, Maggie said:

I don't even believe Shang Chi got released in China

When it even got?

47 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Okay, I am just trying to learn and figure out why there is such a turn off against TLM in some places. Why Aladdin excelled where TLM is failing. Believe me, I don't want to think that any country is racist.

It's fine.

Aladdin is one of my childhood memories. I do remember that Aladdin had everything it need to be successful whether it's PS/reviews or anything.

Kinda not sure about Mermaid - strictly unknown will relay entirely on reviews/WOM for Box Office Pull in Asia. (Indonesia is still expected to big and same goes with Philippines)

We'll know if race plays a factor when we can compare Asia's numbers for all the live action Disney Renaissance remakes including TLM.

But certain pockets of China blamed covid on black people and banned them from restaurants and had one of the most racist commercials in recent history. 

• ...wtf 1

22 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

We'll know if race plays a factor when we can compare Asia's numbers for all the live action Disney Renaissance remakes including TLM.

But certain pockets of China blamed covid on black people and banned them from restaurants and had one of the most racist commercials in recent history. 

Wow. Disney needs to boycott. Stop releasing films their 

Edited by PrinceRico

12 minutes ago, PrinceRico said:

Wow. Disney needs to boycott. Stop releasing films their 

I don’t think a boycott will force people to see films that don’t interest them.

As a black male I have many friends from mainland China and Japan and I travel there frequently. Racism is everywhere in the world but in Asia racism is lightweight compared to racism in the USA. Sorry but hard truth, never heard of black people being killed in China for walking in the wrong neighborhood or for looking “suspicious” which happens regularly in the USA. It’s funny because there are actually many Japanese people with Afros and dreadlocks in Japan because they love African American culture. 

As I stated a few posts before, Asians watch movies they like, simple as that. Yes you may see some racist idiots posting on messages boards but it’s no different that the countless YouTube videos from racists here in the USA about The Little Mermaid because they are fighting “woke” culture and their backlash against “woke Disney” many of these videos have millions of views. 

and speaking of racism, the video below has 1.6 millions views on YouTube…

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

Now that I think about it, Ariel the character goes against Asian values taught by parents.

She is irresponsible and insensitive (skips the concert that many people worked hard for and planned for a long time), disrespectfully talks back to her father, is impulsive, reckless and self-destructive (goes to the exiled and dangerous sea witch for help) and chooses to abruptly leave her loving family she's known all her life without thinking of their reactions and emotions if she goes missing forever.

Pretty sure if an Asian 16 year old does ANY of the above, their family relationship would be strained at least and if it they did that last part, their relationship would be completely over. Actually, any POC wouldn't dare do that as a kid. Ariel definitely fits an individualistic Western mindset more (but of course she has positive traits like being adventurous, ambitious, open-minded, etc.)

I have no clue if The Little Mermaid is as popular as the other Renaissance movies in Asia but I can understand if it's not as popular.

• Like 1

this bombing in asian market where people genuinly see black skin as "inferior" is no surprise at all.

the racism and harrasment towards this film and halle have been massive in south korea too.

not just some annoying comments but serious racisma on national level. crazy.

and I'm sure it's same in other Asia countries.

49 minutes ago, Royce said:

Now that I think about it, Ariel the character goes against Asian values taught by parents.

She is irresponsible and insensitive (skips the concert that many people worked hard for and planned for a long time), disrespectfully talks back to her father, is impulsive, reckless and self-destructive (goes to the exiled and dangerous sea witch for help) and chooses to abruptly leave her loving family she's known all her life without thinking of their reactions and emotions if she goes missing forever.

Pretty sure if an Asian 16 year old does ANY of the above, their family relationship would be strained at least and if it they did that last part, their relationship would be completely over. Actually, any POC wouldn't dare do that as a kid. Ariel definitely fits an individualistic Western mindset more (but of course she has positive traits like being adventurous, ambitious, open-minded, etc.)

I have no clue if The Little Mermaid is as popular as the other Renaissance movies in Asia but I can understand if it's not as popular.

I've understood little mermaid is pretty popular in Asian countries. In general, mermaids seem to be pretty popular in those countries.

Also, young protagonists opposing their parents is pretty common in "Asian fiction". There is an theme of respecting your parents in Asian values, but I think people in the West have exagerated it if they think all stories with rebellious kids are unpopular.

Not to mention that people tend to forget that Ariel "escaped" from home after Triton destroyed her things (which was close to an abusive behaviour).

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, joselowe said:

I don’t think a boycott will force people to see films that don’t interest them.

As a black male I have many friends from mainland China and Japan and I travel there frequently. Racism is everywhere in the world but in Asia racism is lightweight compared to racism in the USA. Sorry but hard truth, never heard of black people being killed in China for walking in the wrong neighborhood or for looking “suspicious” which happens regularly in the USA. It’s funny because there are actually many Japanese people with Afros and dreadlocks in Japan because they love African American culture. 

As I stated a few posts before, Asians watch movies they like, simple as that. Yes you may see some racist idiots posting on messages boards but it’s no different that the countless YouTube videos from racists here in the USA about The Little Mermaid because they are fighting “woke” culture and their backlash against “woke Disney” many of these videos have millions of views. 

and speaking of racism, the video below has 1.6 millions views on YouTube…

There isn't enough of a black community in China for racist events to gain any traction. You are absolutely fooling yourself if you think the US is more racist. That simply is not true.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Royce said:

Someone doesn’t watch anime? We’re talking about some of the most rude and crude characters around lol. At least for Japan, entertainment is almost like an outlet to express things that are not acceptable to in real life. Not 100%, but I think TLM has a pretty popular legacy there. 

Edited by MovieMan89