CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

Are the McCarthy and Tremblay castings confirmed or just rumours at this point? I sure hope Tremblay gets the role, he’s absolutely my favourite young actor and I really want to see him in a big movie like this!

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

FWIW they are converting a bar and lounge at the Grand Floridian right now to resemble different sets from the live-action Beauty and the Beast that's set to open in the fall so I imagine they'll also find ways to acknowledge the live-action Aladdin/The Lion King/The Little Mermaid remakes in the years to come as well, since the mega-numbers of these movies assure them a major place in Disney's history and these four already make up Disney's Holy Grail.

Slightly off-topic, but I discovered Disney actually did create an attraction based on the live-action Alice in Wonderland remake called Mad T Party (yes, really) at California Adventure. It was basically a concert venue/dance party that featured a rock band dressed up as characters from the 2010 movie doing covers of famous pop songs. Interestingly, the attraction was shut down about two months before Through the Looking Glass came out. I guess that closure was the first sign that movie was going to flop.

3 minutes ago, Claudio said:

All these casting news have made my excitement level rises....

Reveal hidden contents

Actually, I'm glad that all of this helped to inform me of Sade which I knew nothing about. I'm extremely intrigued and excited about that project.

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Waiting for someone to accidentally mix her name up with Halle Berry.

I'll be honest this is what I totally thought and my first thought was "Well that's a bit unexpected, how's her singing range?"

Seems like though this Berry can definitely sing. 

42 minutes ago, scabab said:

Why is that? If it were the other way around and a white actress was cast to play Tiana from Princess and the Frog then people would be allowed to criticize that.

So again it only really works one way doesn't it? You can't criticise this casting because a black actress is involved but I bet there's no such issue when it regards white washing, you're probably allowed to criticize that just fine.

this world sucks.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

1 hour ago, scabab said:

Why is that? If it were the other way around and a white actress was cast to play Tiana from Princess and the Frog then people would be allowed to criticize that.

So again it only really works one way doesn't it? You can't criticise this casting because a black actress is involved but I bet there's no such issue when it regards white washing, you're probably allowed to criticize that just fine.

Because no matter how many times you try to say so, the situations ain't equivalent.  And the reasons have been given many times in this thread, so I'm not going to repeat them.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

So will they Zoe Saldana her like Guardians of Galaxy or like Avataar ...?

Yes, Disney has heard everyone's pointless complaints and will now make Ariel blue. 

Liarrr.jpg?resize=750,430&ssl=1

But in return she will now be played by Paul Giamatti. 

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun

15 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

Yes, Disney has heard everyone's pointless complaints and will now make Ariel blue. 

Liarrr.jpg?resize=750,430&ssl=1

But in return she will now be played by Paul Giamatti. 

Shame I wanted a natural ginger like Michael Cera to play Ariel :whosad:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, scabab said:

-SNIP-

Just gonna make a general observation here, completely unrelated to your post.

If you think moderator/admin thread instructions are wrong for whatever reason, your best bet to getting them changed are talking to them privately via PM.

Complaining about it in-thread and doubling down on the criticism and completely ignoring the moderation instructions probably isn't going to endear you very much to them talking your points into favorable consideration.

Source: Me as an Admin on another board with somewhat similar polices to this one.

• Like 1

$70m/$220m DOM $180m intl

I think people will start getting tired of these "reimaginings". After that they will probably start making live-action versions of Pixar movies, God forbid...

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 3

3 hours ago, TLK said:

The audience for Hollywood movies back in the day was 90%+ white when all of these Disney movies came out. It is now mostly non-white thanks to International box office. The studios are making their decisions based on the changing movie economics.

Well, Disney is coming off A Wrinkle in Time, which was the worst-performing major-studio fantasy film at the international box office in like the last 20 years, so I doubt this was a decision made for finances. Plus, if your argument is that people want to watch people of their same ethnicity, most of that expanded global audience comes from Asia and Latin America, not Africa. I think this was a casting decision made on who was best for the role. She probably knocked her audition out of the park, and she's beautiful and talented.

Edited by Hunch
  • Like 1