CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(was going to reply further, but remembered the NIRD principle)

Wow I got the exact same birthday as her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

(was going to reply further, but remembered the NIRD principle)

Half of those singer/actress/influencers have fake names so I figured it was a stage name.

As you can see in the above tweet. Her name sounds like a play on Halle Berry's name.

Edited by eddyxx

51 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

The ONLY people that give a shit about this are sheltered 20-something white girls, and if you find yourself giving a shit about her casting then just remember, that's what you're being, a sheltered 20-something white girl.

Sexist much? Little Mermaid came out when I was 4 and they showed it to us in kindergarten.  It really stuck with me. I grew up a fan of all the Disney renaissance films and Ariel is one of the most iconic princesses.

Now that I'm grown I tend to have a eye for gingers and Ariel and Jessica Rabbit probably started it when I was a wee lad.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Sexist much? Little Mermaid came out when I was 4 and they showed it to us in kindergarten.  It really stuck with me. I grew up a fan of all the Disney renaissance films and Ariel is one of the most iconic princesses.

And so why not give this film at least half a shot to do the same?

She appears to be a hell of a singer, and that's a plot point of the original so should be interesting.

This is really the big Disney remake outside of Lion King. 65% of it is underwater so we're going to have photorealistic CGI aquatic animals and mermaids for most of it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scabab said:

Absolutely horrific casting that was done purely to be PC. Of course any criticism that would come of this would just be greeted with cries of racism or the classic "but Ariel's race doesn't define her character".

There was no reason not to cast a white girl with red hair or dye her hair red so it was accurate to the movie.

If they made a Princess and the Frog live action movie and they made her white there'd be a huge shit storm over it but because it's done the other way around, everyone will be afraid to say anything bad about it whatsoever.

Screen_Shot_2018-09-11_at_11.33.56_AM.jp

1 minute ago, scabab said:

If they made a Princess and the Frog live action movie and they made her white there'd be a huge shit storm over it

Maybe there's a reason for that.

If you think about it for a bit, you might even realize the reason.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, scabab said:

Absolutely horrific casting that was done purely to be PC. Of course any criticism that would come of this would just be greeted with cries of racism or the classic "but Ariel's race doesn't define her character".

There was no reason not to cast a white girl with red hair or dye her hair red so it was accurate to the movie.

If they made a Princess and the Frog live action movie and they made her white there'd be a huge shit storm over it but because it's done the other way around, everyone will be afraid to say anything bad about it whatsoever.

breaking my promise here.

if one kid had like 5 pieces of pizza and the other had 1, would it be more fair for the 5-piece kid to give one piece to the other kid, or vice versa?

Probably an atrocious metaphor, but I think it gets the point across.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, scabab said:

There was no shortage of white female singers

You're so so sooooo close to getting the point.

PS: There is still no shortage of roles for white female singers.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

So, who will play her father now?

Idris Elba

The Rock

Dennis Haysbert

Ving Rhames

Personally kinda hope they do Laurence Fishburne. I actually think he'd be great.

I originally suggested him for Sebastian but maybe Jamie Foxx? 

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

You're so so sooooo close to getting the point.

PS: There is still no shortage of roles for white female singers.

So.....this is all about a quota? 

Perhaps the reason there are too many roles for white females is that they aren't making enough movies with POC as the main characters. The problem in Hollywood isn't the casting per se. It seems to be more that there aren't enough original movies being made  with diverse casts. Casting Hallie is fine, but let's not make it about the fact that this is the ONLY way to cast black singers. I feel it comes across as ingenuous because it's like saying "well, nobody's making movies with young black female singers so we have to cast one in a remake of a movie that originally had a white female singer". If it gets pushed too hard, it will come across to people like the new karate kid, annie, or,  the Whiz. Those movies were done for a specific purpose-to give a whole new take on those stories.

The issue is MUCH more the lack of originality in movies and new stories which is the reason for the lack of diversity in casting. People keep remaking movies whose originals were played by white people. I am REALLY intrigued by this "Sade" movie that is being made. It's about damn time something like that is being done! And I hope we see stories about Hispanics as well and more Asian-based stories. They aren't...at least not in the fantasy or musical department. That's why all of this is happening and, I feel, the root cause.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, jedijake said:

So.....this is all about a quota? 

Nope.

4 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Perhaps the reason there are too many roles for white females is that they aren't making enough movies with POC as the main characters.

Yep.

The audience for Hollywood movies back in the day was 90%+ white when all of these Disney movies came out. It is now mostly non-white thanks to International box office. The studios are making their decisions based on the changing movie economics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

I'm pretty sure Disney never had Depp's Mad Hatter as a walkaround character, even when the first movie was at its peak in popularity, so I don't see why Berry's Ariel would be any different. And I'm pretty sure the Pirates of the Caribbean ride was the only thing at one of the parks to see a notable change after a movie came out (but I wouldn't oppose to an Emily Blunt animatronic at the Jungle Cruise ride).

FWIW they are converting a bar and lounge at the Grand Floridian right now to resemble different sets from the live-action Beauty and the Beast that's set to open in the fall so I imagine they'll also find ways to acknowledge the live-action Aladdin/The Lion King/The Little Mermaid remakes in the years to come as well, since the mega-numbers of these movies assure them a major place in Disney's history and these four already make up Disney's Holy Grail.

And yeesh, this thread is a mess. And unfortunately, I'm equally not surprised at some of these flop takes.

• Like 2