CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

1 hour ago, Hunch said:

$70m/$220m DOM $180m intl

I think people will start getting tired of these "reimaginings". After that they will probably start making live-action versions of Pixar movies, God forbid...

You mean like how people would get tired of ”Aladdin”? I don’t think so. It’s just the classical case of pessimism and desperate wishful thinking. The next @BK007.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunch said:

Well, Disney is coming off A Wrinkle in Time, which was the worst-performing major-studio fantasy film at the international box office in like the last 20 years, so I doubt this was a decision made for finances.

The ethnicity of the main character was the absolute LEAST of that film's problems.  

• Thanks 1

I have to admit I'm confused by this casting, although I'm all for more representation of historically oppressed members of society, I can't help but see Ariel as a ginger girl. I think one of the points that comes across clearly in this thread is the US/RoW divide, the history of racial divide is quite different in the US compared to many other countries. It's one of the biggest differences I noticed when I moved to Europe. I don't agree with the silencing of dissent either, and hope the above qualifies as contribution as a meta-view. I do  make it clear that I'm sure she'll make a fine Ariel, I just think this is probably more of a marketing ploy by Disney to give it viability more than anything else (I mean look how much this story has exploded). 

I also agree with others who have commented that having Rob Marshall direct is going to be far greater detriment to the film than any casting choice. It's also coming out the same year as Avatar 2, which we know features extended underwater scenes too, so if they mess that up they're in for some harsh criticism. 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I also agree with others who have commented that having Rob Marshall direct is going to be far greater detriment to the film than any casting choice. It's also coming out the same year as Avatar 2, which we know features extended underwater scenes too, so if they mess that up they're in for some harsh criticism. 

Guy Ritchie managed to work out for Aladdin despite all the naysayers but yeah Rob Marshall is definitely a safe and boring choice. 

10 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Guy Ritchie managed to work out for Aladdin despite all the naysayers but yeah Rob Marshall is definitely a safe and boring choice. 

Guy Ritchie has talent, and has made great movies in the past... can the same be said of RM? I mean even MPR was mediocre at best. 

22 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I have to admit I'm confused by this casting, although I'm all for more representation of historically oppressed members of society, I can't help but see Ariel as a ginger girl. I think one of the points that comes across clearly in this thread is the US/RoW divide, the history of racial divide is quite different in the US compared to many other countries. It's one of the biggest differences I noticed when I moved to Europe. I don't agree with the silencing of dissent either, and hope the above qualifies as contribution as a meta-view. I do  make it clear that I'm sure she'll make a fine Ariel, I just think this is probably more of a marketing ploy by Disney to give it viability more than anything else (I mean look how much this story has exploded). 

Agree with this some what. They should have stayed true to the animation as much as possible to bring nostalgia but they can still safe this by not calling it the little mermaid and going with an entire different project thats the only way they can redeem themselves. 

Scrap the little mermaid and write a new story about mermaids but if they stay far away from the original this thing will bomb badly in the box office

Edited by Geo1500
  • Knock It Off 1

interesting none of those "we want original" people say nothing about ursula.

ursual was modeled after drag queen named Divine. where's the outrage from them?

Diseny animation version was re-imagination from original tale. 

now they're doing another re-imagination with live action version. that's all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jedijake said:

So.....this is all about a quota? 

Perhaps the reason there are too many roles for white females is that they aren't making enough movies with POC as the main characters. The problem in Hollywood isn't the casting per se. It seems to be more that there aren't enough original movies being made  with diverse casts. Casting Hallie is fine, but let's not make it about the fact that this is the ONLY way to cast black singers. I feel it comes across as ingenuous because it's like saying "well, nobody's making movies with young black female singers so we have to cast one in a remake of a movie that originally had a white female singer". If it gets pushed too hard, it will come across to people like the new karate kid, annie, or,  the Whiz. Those movies were done for a specific purpose-to give a whole new take on those stories.

The issue is MUCH more the lack of originality in movies and new stories which is the reason for the lack of diversity in casting. People keep remaking movies whose originals were played by white people. I am REALLY intrigued by this "Sade" movie that is being made. It's about damn time something like that is being done! And I hope we see stories about Hispanics as well and more Asian-based stories. They aren't...at least not in the fantasy or musical department. That's why all of this is happening and, I feel, the root cause.

problem is really about big budget movies. They have diverse casts on small and medium budget level but not so much when budget shoots upward of 150M. The reason is quite simple - they rarely make original movies on that level and sources with big build-in fandom that they mine for that money are already written or made with white characters.  So what to do? There's diversity pressure in America mostly. Someone said that pressure comes from international markets but if you look at the OS boxoffice, overwhelmingly white and male cast IW and EG clobbered BP, Us, Creed, CRA.  Diverse Star Wars failed in Asia and Latin America despite inclusion of Asians and Latinos. The only franchise with diverse cast that consistently posts OS numbers closer to IW/EG is Fast&Furious (made 1B OS twice). And that franchise happens to be a rare one with characters who are originally created as diverse instead of bending their race and gender. So what Hollywood does, instead of creating more properties like F&F, is that they change the race and/or gender and/or sexual orientation of canon characters and fans don't like it as one would expect. Fans are nitpicky so you gotta know that any change is going to create a shitstorm. 

IMO, Halle Bailey made a mistake for posting Ariel without red hair. I think if they assured that hair will be red fans would calm down faster. 

• ...wtf 1

If audiences likely won’t give a shit about a Lion King with a majority black cast, a Genie  played by Will Smith or considering how big both Black Panther and Coco where with a heavy Caucasian following mind you, or see Aladdin/Beast/and likely the TLK despite them basically being copy paste just in live action, I doubt people will care much about a black Ariel for the box office to hurt except for the racists/closeted bigots that at most will “hurt” as much as Captain Marvel did (which is very very very minuscule) in fact it may help. 

This will probably be the second biggest film of 2021 behind Avatar 2, unless Black Panther 2 happens that year. Now if you excuse me I got to shower myself off for defending a live action Disney remake.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
Forget about Avatar 2
  • Haha 1

TLK is voiced only, it isn't like turning lions into humans, and different countries employ their stars to voice TLK. Not a good example. 

Will Smith is a superstar. Not a good example. Also, he's blue in the movie as Genie in his Genie form should be. Not a good example.

Halle Bailey posted a cartoon herself as Ariel without red hair. Huge problem. 

• ...wtf 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

TLK is voiced only, it isn't like turning lions into humans, and different countries employ their stars to voice TLK. Not a good example. 

Will Smith is a superstar. Not a good example. Also, he's blue in the movie as Genie in his Genie form should be. Not a good example.

Halle Bailey posted a cartoon herself as Ariel without red hair. Huge problem. 

the movie is not even in pre-production, she herself just got the news same as us. 

we don't know If they will ditch red hair.

her posting some fanmade image is no problem. nobody is talking about that image.

2 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

the movie is not even in pre-production, she herself just got the news same as us. 

we don't know If they will ditch red hair.

her posting some fanmade image is no problem. nobody is talking about that image.

that image certainly didn't help. 

4 hours ago, scabab said:

Because of excuses that people always come up with.

People will say that Ariel's race doesn't define her character, that age old excuse, so it's ok for her character to be race swapped even though there's no shortage of white actresses to play her.

Yet a complete nobody character from Hellboy called Ben Daimio, a marine who could turn into a Jaguar, whose race does not define him at all either was supposed to be played by Ed Skrein but because that character was Asian in the comic there was such a backlash he had to drop out of the role.

Yet Mary Jane and Johnny Storm who are white in the comic got played by a non white actor....and then it's racist to criticize because race doesn't define the character again.

So as has always been the case, if it goes against white people then it's perfectly fine. If it goes against anyone else then there's an almighty shit storm.

People didn't even like the idea of white actors voicing the Lion's in The Lion King because they're African animals but no we can't be having any criticism over Ariel's race swap.

C'mon T800. I thought you are a nice BOT member.