CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

7 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I mean I ain’t mad as a white that Ariel is black. I am kinda mad  as a half-Greek that the daughter of Poseidon is not half-white and Poseidon himself is a Latino?

Umm, Triton is the son of Poseidon if we NEED to get mythology accurate for a Disney movie. Also we don't even know if he is that same Triton, he could be Triton VIII like most monarchies. Not to mention, Bardem IS white. And you mad that a film with a Jamaican crab has a black mermaid?

On 11/14/2022 at 4:11 PM, scabab said:

Movie is gonna bomb hard. Several Disney fans I know who have loved most these live action remakes have no interest in this once they see who is playing Ariel.

You know people who “love” these Disney remakes? Yikes.

17 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Care to explain? Or are the vibes "right wing nuts are attacking the film for little to no reason"?

Both disney, both made headlines for being progressive and both under 200m, which even though is a strong number, will be considered unwhelming compared to industry estimations. Basically a slightly smaller Cinderella than a Jungle Book 

Reasons are because there's only so many disney remakes that can be huge in a row before audiences say 'enough'

They are my reasons, nothing political as I really dont think The Little Mermaids target audience care too much about politics. I especially dont think too many right winger were ever watching a film like this anyway

22 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

As far as Disney remakes go, from what little we’ve seen of this movie, it doesn’t look any better or worse than most of the other ones. It looks bland and uninspired, but that’s no different from the remakes of Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. 

For once we 100% agree. it is not the remakes are out and out bad..they are compently made..they are just so damn bland compared to the originals. They have none of the charm.

Edited by dudalb

On 11/17/2022 at 4:11 AM, SullyJake said:

Both disney, both made headlines for being progressive and both under 200m, which even though is a strong number, will be considered unwhelming compared to industry estimations. Basically a slightly smaller Cinderella than a Jungle Book 

Reasons are because there's only so many disney remakes that can be huge in a row before audiences say 'enough'

They are my reasons, nothing political as I really dont think The Little Mermaids target audience care too much about politics. I especially dont think too many right winger were ever watching a film like this anyway

If Disney wanted to make an all new version of the classic Fairy tales, I would have no problems.

It's the specific reamking of the animated classics I don't like.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

If Disney wanted to make an all new version of the classic Fairy tales, I would have no problems.

It's the specific reamking of the animated classics I don't like.

Personally, I say leave classic fairy tales alone and make new stories, period. These remakes are dull for the most part but I also wouldn't particularly enjoy "new versions" either. Classics are classics for a reason.

1 hour ago, Verrows said:

Personally, I say leave classic fairy tales alone and make new stories, period. These remakes are dull for the most part but I also wouldn't particularly enjoy "new versions" either. Classics are classics for a reason.

True, but in some cases the Disney version is not that faithful to the original.

I would like to see a Jungle Book that went back to the Kipling original which is vasly different then what Disney gave us.

"Beauty and the Beast" has had two great films; The 1991 Disney and the 1946 Jean Cocteau film,..which the 1991 directly borrowed some scenes from.

But we agee the live action versions are a textbook example of the mediocre, and their poplarity puzzles me to no end.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, dudalb said:

True, but in some cases the Disney version is not that faithful to the original.

I would like to see a Jungle Book that went back to the Kipling original which is vasly different then what Disney gave us.

"Beauty and the Beast" has had two great films; The 1991 Disney and the 1946 Jean Cocteau film,..which the 1991 directly borrowed some scenes from.

But we agee the live action versions are a textbook example of the mediocre, and their poplarity puzzles me to no end.

That's a good point. If they did more faithful adaptations of the source material then I'd of course be open to that.