CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

As far as mining nostalgia dollars goes, this is pretty much the last film disney has left, right? I know they're doing a Snow White movie but given that came out 80 years ago and has been done to death in live action already I'm not sure it counts, while Hunchback and Hercules are probably non-starters.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

As far as mining nostalgia dollars goes, this is pretty much the last film disney has left, right? I know they're doing a Snow White movie but given that came out 80 years ago and has been done to death in live action already I'm not sure it counts, while Hunchback and Hercules are probably non-starters.

Lilo & Stitch would make a lot of dough, I’d think.

32 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Until the Princess and the Frog/Tangled/Frozen/Moana live-action remakes.

They announced a live-action Hunchback a while ago with Josh Gad attached but it's never come close to getting off the ground. Guy Ritchie was just locked in to direct Hercules...I guess we'll find out the direction that's going in when they announce the A-lister playing Hades.

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Soon, they'll have to go back to making 2D cartoons to get original ideas.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Can't they just start using Pixar's?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

There’s Tarzan too. Hmm without a Disney princess the animated films aren’t really worth remaking.

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t see how a live action Hunchback for kids would work, unless they make it PG-13 like the Mulan remake.  

A hunchback remake would get hit with a bunch of ableism and racism against gypsies backlash.

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Can't they just start using Pixar's?

I’m struggling to think of what Pixar films would make for feasible live action adaptations. Toy Story in live action sounds like it’d be an uncanny nightmare. I suppose they could do The Incredibles, but that would just be another superhero movie. 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m struggling to think of what Pixar films would make for feasible live action adaptations. Toy Story in live action sounds like it’d be an uncanny nightmare. I suppose they could do The Incredibles, but that would just be another superhero movie. 

They could The Lion King Nemo...uh, even just typing it out sounds cursed, but, you know, they could...

12 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

They could The Lion King Nemo...uh, even just typing it out sounds cursed, but, you know, they could...

That sounds like an uncanny valley nightmare. Not to mention traumatizing millions of kids into not eating fish.:hahaha:

12 hours ago, jedijake said:

I've said it a million times. If they want original live action movie ideas, they need to tap some of the WDAS and/or Pixar writers to create live action stories. That's where the originality is.

Directors translating from animation to live action doesn't tend to end well i.e John Carter .

It would seem like a slam dunk but it ain't. Live action just doesn't seem to capture essence and emotional of the animation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Hercules seems to have a pretty sizeable fanbase due to Hades, the Muses and Megara's song. It might be a Maleficent or even The Jungle Book level hit if they have a casting coup like Ariana Grande as Meg.

Tarzan might be another hit too.

15 hours ago, eddyxx said:

A hunchback remake would get hit with a bunch of ableism and racism against gypsies backlash.

The G-word is a slur against the Romani people. For a film of its time though, Hunchback was pretty sensitive to marginalized groups. However, GA still view it as too dark and serious for a Disney film so even if they remake it, it might be a Disney+ affair.

I think people are in for a rude awakening regarding the B.O.  performance of this one.

The trailer has more than 2m of dislikes, greatly outnumbering the likes. The general consensus in EU (as an Italian who just came back from some months off in France I can speak for this two main markets, at least) is negative and there is outrage at the blackwashing. People also think Bailey is quite ugly with her eyes set really wide apart, and many just comment on her with the Eye emoji - space space space space - eye emoji.

Americans need to understand that their society/culture is peculiar and does not reflect the WW sentiment/taste. 

This will probably do well in USA and flop everywhere else much like Nope did. The diseney brand/nostalgia factor will be neutralized by the blackwashing which most non US disneyfans are not ok with.

I also think that is unfair to claim racism on the european when they are the one whose culture is being appropriated over and over again (and always has been, historically) by american disney and rearranged to fit US politcal agenda. For example, Snow white is so important to German culture that it literally was compiled by the brothers Grimm in hopes of awakening a nationalist spirit in german people of the time. Folk tales and lores should be respected no matter where they come from. Just imagine the uprising that a white - non faithful- adaptation of a Japanese folk tale (aka a tale coming from a non minority- rich powerful country) would cause.

As for the next remakes, I think Hercules and Hunchback have a certain room for success, but they need big stars and proper adaptations that stay true to the originals tone (comedy for Hercules, epic drama for Hunchback). Whether disney can do that, remains to be seen. So far their remakes have been horrible cash grabs, the sooner forgotten the better.

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire