CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

21 minutes ago, scabab said:

Movie is gonna bomb hard. Several Disney fans I know who have loved most these live action remakes have no interest in this once they see who is playing Ariel.

Interesting. Besides my gripe about the darkness I have a good feeling about this one. 

2 hours ago, scabab said:

Movie is gonna bomb hard. Several Disney fans I know who have loved most these live action remakes have no interest in this once they see who is playing Ariel.

I don't think it'll bomb but I don't think it'll be as big as some on here are predicting either.

Edited by poweranimals

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

They have time to adjust the brightness. Not worried about that.

As far as those not wanting to see it just because of who is playing Ariel.....I don't understand. I mean, I DO understand, but I don't understand if you know what I mean.

I think race is such a common topic in discourse nowadays that people are actually starting to breathe life into these things. Obviously there is a despicable minority of racists out there but I don't think there are many people not seeing this just because of the colour of the actress's skin. It's more to do with the fact that a lot of people are groaning at these often times soulless remakes.

Like I said before though, I personally am high on it. We'll see. If they get it visually right, as well as the songs, this has the potential to be really fun for families going into the summer.

I have no interest in this movie whatsoever, and yet paradoxically, I’m in a position where I kind of want it to succeed, just so all these dumb “DISNEY IS TEH WOKE” dorks on the Internet won’t be able to feel validated like they were when Lightyear flopped. 

It’s crazy that Disney has become this boogeyman to all these reactionary right-wing personalities, ever since the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. It’s seriously gotten to the point where the Governor of Florida is trying to wage war on the company.  Is this real life? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I have no interest in this movie whatsoever, and yet paradoxically, I’m in a position where I kind of want it to succeed, just so all these dumb “DISNEY IS TEH WOKE” dorks on the Internet won’t be able to feel validated like they were when Lightyear flopped. 

It’s crazy that Disney has become this boogeyman to all these reactionary right-wing personalities, ever since the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. It’s seriously gotten to the point where the Governor of Florida is trying to wage war on the company.  Is this real life? 

Disney has always been an easy target for these easily triggered and shamelessly hypocritical “we gotta find something to be angry about all the time no matter how trivial” types. Remember when Fox News went after The Muppets in 2011 for making the Chris Cooper villain a rich business man? The difference now is that these types have never felt more validated in their obnoxious manchild behavior and thus it’s become increasingly more annoying.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney has always been an easy target for these easily triggered and shamelessly hypocritical “we gotta find something to be angry about all the time no matter how trivial” types. Remember when Fox News went after The Muppets in 2011 for making the Chris Cooper villain a rich business man? The difference now is that these types have never felt more validated in their obnoxious manchild behavior and thus it’s become increasingly more annoying.

Now that you mention it, I suppose this stuff isn’t even exclusive to Disney. I still remember when Rush Limbaugh tried to claim that Bane from TDKR was a jab at Mitt Romney and Bain Capital. Of course, back then, pretty much everyone rightfully called him out on how stupid that was. I sure do miss those times. 

Guys, it's no different than the left complaining about not enough diversity or throwing racist/misogynistic claims at everything.

The fact is outrage is popular on BOTH sides. Best thing to do is ignore them all and not project the sensibilities of loud minorities on the majority. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

3 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Guys, it's no different than the left complaining about not enough diversity or throwing racist/misogynistic claims at everything.

The fact is outrage is popular on BOTH sides. Best thing to do is ignore them all and not project the sensibilities of loud minorities on the majority. 

Okay.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eric Killmonger said:

Okay.

Sorry. I'm just so done with slinging mud at one side or the other. We've never been more divided than we are now so I always try to provide some middle ground perspective. Right vs left, Republican vs Democrat, blaming the other side for what's wrong with the world; it's all getting sooo old and toxic.

/Rsnt

• Like 1

To be real, what makes me trepidatious about this film isn't the casting or the music, but what the script could turn out to be.

As a kid in the 2000s, before social media took off, TLM was THE Disney film that people around me loved to complain about more than any other: "She risks her life for a MAN? One she hardly knows? At age 16?" 

And since a big staple of these remakes, like BATB and Aladdin, are the filmmakers attempting to make these stories more "relevant" by addressing/solving pointless nitpicks folks had about the originals: imagine what they'll do in a vain attempt to try to appease everybody.

But I'm not going to dwell on this subject any longer. As others have mentioned before, Disney's quickly running out of these things, and this era will soon cease like the DTV sequel phase did. It's not like they're gonna pivot the other way and make an animated remake of Eight Below or something.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I agree. I have no interest in any of these live remakes of classic animated films..IMHO there is simply no way they can be as good but Ariel being a woman of color is the least of my concerns.

And the right wing trolls have gone crazy over "Wakanda Forever" The open racism about the Mayan "Savages" is disgusting.

1 hour ago, Verrows said:

Sorry. I'm just so done with slinging mud at one side or the other. We've never been more divided than we are now so I always try to provide some middle ground perspective. Right vs left, Republican vs Democrat, blaming the other side for what's wrong with the world; it's all getting sooo old and toxic.

/Rsnt

Where's the hallelujah Amen like button when you need one!

I've never been a fan of the  the "the new Ariel is so cool BECAUSE she's black" or the "why did they make the new Ariel black?". Why not just "the new Ariel is beautiful and has a jaw-dropping voice!!! and leave it at that?

Edited by jedijake
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Where's the hallelujah Amen like button when you need one!

I've never been a fan of the  the "the new Ariel is so cool BECAUSE she's black" or the "why did they make the new Ariel black?". Why not just "the new Ariel is beautiful and has a jaw-dropping voice!!! and leave it at that?

Right?! We could use a bit of that sentiment rather than the constant baiting of the other side to react.

• Like 1