CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Has received its MPA rating (PG for action/peril and some scary images), so it's basically done and awaiting release now.

cara_rating_bulletin.pdf (filmratings.com)

A friend in USA said it is a good film and public will like it, but apparently Disney is worried about comparisons of underwater scenes / ocean scenes with Avatar 2. Should still do 250+ domestically and 450+ OS. Aladdin is way more popular worldwide and did a billion. Matching it will be a tough task.

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I saw the trailer with A2 imax show. It was in 3D as well. Not impressed at all. Visuals were meh and you dont have to compare with what JC has done with A2. 

That's the point. They know movie is good. Just that underwater/ocean stuff is not even 1/5 of previous movie having those scenes.

13 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

That's the point. They know movie is good. Just that underwater/ocean stuff is not even 1/5 of previous movie having those scenes.

By that logic the entirety of hollywood should stop doing films around water for the next decade then because I don't think they're going to get even close anytime soon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

To be fair, I went to see Wakanda Forever and Avatar 2 on the same 3D imax screen weeks apart, and Avatar made Wakanda Forever look downright amateur. 

The underwater scenes in Aquaman (2018) were much more impressive than Wakanda Forever as well, but I think Aquaman had different technology. 

• Like 1

I'll admit that I feel I'm more forgiving of the underwater visuals in this and Wakanda Forever than most and that they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. But frankly, I feel like most people won't care that the underwater visuals are worse than Avatar's. Films and CGI today are the ugliest they have ever been and are rushed like crazy, but the normies still turn up and don't complain about it. People see a brand they recognize and then turn into robots and automatically flock to it. This will be the same case here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3RIC said:

I'll admit that I feel I'm more forgiving of the underwater visuals in this and Wakanda Forever than most and that they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. But frankly, I feel like most people won't care that the underwater visuals are worse than Avatar's. Films and CGI today are the ugliest they have ever been and are rushed like crazy, but the normies still turn up and don't complain about it. People see a brand they recognize and then turn into robots and automatically flock to it. This will be the same case here.

when I watch Transformers 3 I wonder why the CGI in that movie looks better then 2022 films lol 

They used to take their time with CGI before i find. 

13 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

A friend in USA said it is a good film and public will like it, but apparently Disney is worried about comparisons of underwater scenes / ocean scenes with Avatar 2. Should still do 250+ domestically and 450+ OS. Aladdin is way more popular worldwide and did a billion. Matching it will be a tough task.

THE LITTLE MERMAID was never as popular as ALADDIN. It sold roughly half as many tickets worldwide.

Half the live action ALADDIN's box office = $523m

Then take away China and Russia = $448.2m

You might also have to adjust for ALADDIN's staggering over performance in Japan ($112m) and South Korea ($92m). Can LITTLE MERMAID replicate those?

12 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

THE LITTLE MERMAID was never as popular as ALADDIN. It sold roughly half as many tickets worldwide.

You might also have to adjust for ALADDIN's staggering over performance in Japan ($112m) and South Korea ($92m). Can LITTLE MERMAID replicate those?

For the sake of TLM fans and Hailey. You know what folks will say if it flops.

23 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

If that was how it worked Aladdin 2019 would have topped BatB yet it didn't happen.

As for Japan/SK, most likely not. SK as a market is down a ton from pre-pandemic times admission-wise and Disney as a whole is struggling in Japan+D+ is a death sentence in a market this leggy+the film doesn't have the same appeal to that market. I'd put at something like ~7b (~53M usd at current ER, though it should be a bit better by the time the film releases) in Japan.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 7:20 AM, Eric the Plane said:

Yeah, this.

Of course it won't have half the charm of and won't be half as good as the original, but that does not keep audience from flocking to these live action remakes.

But I am prediciting that 50 years from now, the originals of these animated films will still be watched and enjoyed as classics, and the remakes are forgotten.

So spoilers have leaked be careful on social media. Person raves it and says that effects are best ever for Disney that everything looks so real and the studio obviously invested tons of money in them. Don't know if he's a plant but he defo saw the movie cause details sound like he saw the real thing, no BS. 

3 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

What spoilers? This is remake of a 20+ years old movie lmao

Changes from that movie. While live action remakes tend to be almost shot by shot remakes they still have some changes that are considered spoilers. Which is what leaked.

Edited by Valonqar

43 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So spoilers have leaked be careful on social media. Person raves it and says that effects are best ever for Disney that everything looks so real and the studio obviously invested tons of money in them. Don't know if he's a plant but he defo saw the movie cause details sound like he saw the real thing, no BS. 

Suuuuure...