CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

Either Halle's doing the classic Hollywood bait and switch, they canceled at the last minute, or there was never supposed to be one in the first place. Maybe it was always just pure speculation from the start.

Whatever the case may be, I've searched endlessly for the leaked trailer everywhere and could not find it. Disney's done a helluva job keeping it out of my hands at least.

Maybe they just don't want the endless racist backlash to be wide spread.

Edited by jedijake

Ugh I should have just watched the leaked cam trailer.

Also LOL @ Disney automatically assuming Superbowl audiences are racist. This seems to have been a very last minute decision otherwise we would have gotten a trailer last Sunday with the Grammys for sure.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Ugh I should have just watched the leaked cam trailer.

Also LOL @ Disney automatically assuming Superbowl audiences are racist. This seems to have been a very last minute decision otherwise we would have gotten a trailer last Sunday with the Grammys for sure.

more like Superbowl is the male event of the year while Little Mermaid is the total opposite of it. It would be a waste of money. I think Oscars will be more suitable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InVy said:

more like Superbowl is the male event of the year while Little Mermaid is the total opposite of it. It would be a waste of money. I think Oscars will be more suitable.

Well to be honest, I had wondered about Little Mermaid trailer being dropped during the Superbowl. For the reasons you mentioned (doesn't really fit the event like an MCU movie). But also, Aladdin dropped a teaser in February and it got BLASTED because it was clearly not finished and Will Smith looked horrible. The full trailer came out in March and looked great. So I was thinking that it was too early for a trailer.

Second teaser though? Maybe this time they got it right? Anyway, I wasn't holding my breath (pun intended).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm guessing they're holding the trailer for a big premiere during the Oscars (which air on ABC) and will have it attached with Shazam! the following weekend.

And also in front of Mario 2 weeks later.

There will probably be magazine covers and other stuff before then. I'm sure they just wanted to get GOTG3 out with attention to be in front of AMWQM.

But Elementals didn't have anything either.

31 minutes ago, jedijake said:

And also in front of Mario 2 weeks later.

There will probably be magazine covers and other stuff before then. I'm sure they just wanted to get GOTG3 out with attention to be in front of AMWQM.

But Elementals didn't have anything either.

Elementals has everything going against it so far. Wouldn't be surprised if Disney gives it the Strange World treatment by cutting their losses with minimal marketing.

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Elementals has everything going against it so far

What exactly? The teaser went viral on social media, rumours is the movie is pretty good, there's no LGBTQIA+ lead character, it's Pixar classic plot and tone all over it 

And all the Fireboy and Lavagirl comparissons is mostly just jokes that is only promoting the movie in the end 

• Like 1

The bigger issue is that one ad is worth $7M. $7M for 5-6 movies is a lot of money to spend, and Disney's already putting out that big 100th anniversary video during the game too. Having it be given to just two movies, especially Indy and Guardians, makes a lot of sense, and Disney can still put out promos in other opportune moments. Little Mermaid seems likely for an Oscars debut like filmlover said and Elemental will get its first big trailer in time for Mario. Both will be fine in those regards.

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

What exactly? The teaser went viral on social media, rumours is the movie is pretty good, there's no LGBTQIA+ lead character, it's Pixar classic plot and tone all over it 

And all the Fireboy and Lavagirl comparissons is mostly just jokes that is only promoting the movie in the end 

It's getting 'ugly animation' allegations, it's coming out in the most crowded time frame since before the pandemic, following the much anticipated Spider-Verse sequel and going directly up against The Flash, and then followed by Indy 5 just 2 weekends later, the story doesn't seem to be incredibly original or fascinating, and it seems watered down Pixar like The Good Dinosaur.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AniNate said:

Very ironic to be talking about originality in this thread.

People seem to forget something really big. Studios, especially huge ones like Disney, probably get 1000 story proposals a month (just spitballing the number but you get the point). The execs aren't in the business of creating stories. They are the ones that greenlight and foot the bill. They simply reject 99.999999% of any original content that comes to their doorstep just due to risk alone. If a movie is ambitious, it would cost a lot to make it and, based on the dismal return on original content, they just won't pass it through. Execs are about one thing and one thing only-mulah! If there are 990 original ideas and 10 familiar titles, what would you, as an executive, go with?

Star Wars almost never got made had it not been for Spielberg convincing Fox to do it. I think, if I remember reading, that it was passed over by several studios out of hand. And Avatar? If there was no Titanic making the most money of any movie  at that time, there would be no Avatar.

So yeah, we keep getting remakes, redo's, reboots, and sequels. It's the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Just feel lucky to live in a time with streaming so that there is actual original content out there to watch.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I'm well aware of the current economic state of the industry, I just wish the rare big budget original content that did get theatrical exhibition got a little more benefit of the doubt.

When has that ever happened in the past 14 years? 

People have been griping about the lack of originality in Hollywood at least since the 2000s, but probably even earlier than that. It’s not a particularly recent complaint. I remember when District 9 came out (I was in middle school at the time), and one of the things it was praised for was being an original sci-fi movie. 

• Like 1