CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

The critics were way off on Apocalypse, though. That shit is wayyyyy worse than most critics made it out to be. Yeesh. And I have DOFP and First Class in my top five superhero movies ever made, so I'm not a "hater" or whatever we can anyone who doesn't like a CBM these days. 

30 minutes ago, SWXII said:

And Jungle passed Zoo

So the analogy works. 

You know, there's a vid from CollegeHumor that comes to mind right about now.  But instead of linking it, all I will say is I think that your analogy broke down ever so slightly at one point and leave it at that since this isn't the politics forum. ;)

Edited by Porthos

17 minutes ago, CJohn said:

First the piracy thing and now the people travel thing. Whatever it sticks he will use, I guess :lol: 

Hmm. I know most places around the county had fantastic weather. Most people were barbecuing as well as traveling so they couldn't go to the movies. I know this because that's what my family and I did this weekend.

PS BKB I want you to try and use the barbecuing excuse in your next rant about why CW is underperforming. 

Edited by Nova

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The audience are teens and young adults. Other than that it is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked. 

It looks like one of those movies that more people will pirate online instead of pay to watch at the cinema.

Popstar too. It'll leak two weeks after its release (I don't know how Uni haven't stopped that yet), and I imagine if the movie is good (it looks pretty funny) it could build WOM through piracy. Won't help it at the BO but it's something.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AJG said:

It looks like one of those movies that more people will pirate online instead of pay to watch at the cinema.

Popstar too. It'll leak two weeks after its release (I don't know how Uni haven't stopped that yet), and I imagine if the movie is good (it looks pretty funny) it could build WOM through piracy. Won't help it at the BO but it's something.

Probably gonna end up being a cult classic one day.  I think it looks hysterical, but I'm in the minority I assume

Also, I think Sausage Party looks fantastic.  Seeing that opening day, no exceptions

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sausage Party is going to be a hit, just you wait. 

I'm only expecting 5M for Popstar next weekend, Hardcore Henry numbers wouldn't surprise me.

Star Trek and Bourne will save the summer BO.

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You know, there's a vid from CollegeHumor that comes to mind right about now.  But instead of linking it, all I will say is I think that your analogy broke down ever so slightly at one point and leave it at that since this isn't the politics forum. ;)

I never called the rabbit crooked. :redcapes:

MCU movie legs

As others have posted, legs get worse as series go on (with a minor exception).

OW as percentage of domestic gross...

Iron Man - 31, 41, 42.6

Thor - 36.3, 41.5

Cap - 36.8, 36.6, 45 or so

Avengers - 33.3, 41.7

That's a pretty strong pattern. No sequel on Hulk. GOTG and Ant-Man have a shot to move up on gross, but still follow this patten. 

I'm a big fan of these movies and attend OW if not opening night. From deep in the forest, I think these movies are doing well story-wise. WOM seems less of an issue for MCU. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sausage Party is going to be a hit, just you wait. 

I'm only expecting 5M for Popstar next weekend, Hardcore Henry numbers wouldn't surprise me.

I can't wait to see Sausage Party but the GA isn't gonna be on board with something twisted-looking (like the baby carrots screaming "I want my mommy!" before being horrifically devoured).

Just now, ThatOneGuy said:

Probably gonna end up being a cult classic one day.  I think it looks hysterical, but I'm in the minority I assume

Also, I think Sausage Party looks fantastic.  Seeing that opening day, no exceptions

The recent trailer had me dying, but everything about the marketing side just seems off.

Why did everything seem so secretive? Lonely Island don't have the fanbase big enough for them to just drop a teaser trailer for a movie nobody knew was even shot. 

The thing didn't have a title, a plot synopsis, or anything for months. The whole thing just seems surreal. They set The movie up for failure.