La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

16 minutes ago, babz06 said:

The audience for those films were just too limited. Popstar looked like an Snl skit, a show that's been largely irrelevant in the last decade or so.

The fact that they actually aired a music video for the movie during the show probably doesn't help that comparison. Having seen the movie while I did enjoy it, for the most part it felt like a SNL sketch not only due to the satirical aspects but also the number of former cast members that are in the movie.

Everything's so low because there are just so many movies out that nothing can break out. I was just looking forward to next summer 2017 and the current schedule is just as bad... :( 

Week 1: Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2

Week 3: Baywatch / Annabelle 2 / Nut Job 2

Week 4: Pirates 5

Week 5: Wonder Woman / Bad Boys 3 / Captain Underpants

Week 6: The Mummy / World War ZZ / Ascendant

Week 7: Kingsman 2 / Cars 3

Week 8: Transformers 5

Week 9: Despicable Me 3 / Uncharted

Week 10: Spider-Man

Week 11: Planet of the Apes

Week 12: Dunkirk

Week 13: Jumanji

Week 14: Alien Covenant

So everything is gonna disappoint next year too :( 

Edited by Treecraft
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

Everything's so low because there are just so many movies out that nothing can break out. I was just looking forward to next summer 2017 and the current schedule is just as bad... :( 

lol Ascendant is not getting made. Not at this point.

23 minutes ago, babz06 said:

The audience for those films were just too limited. Popstar looked like an Snl skit, a show that's been largely irrelevant in the last decade or so.

SNL alum(besides Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Eddie Murphy, and Mike Myers) aren't really that big at the box office Chris Farley and David Spade had decent hits back in 1995 and 1996 but nothing blockbuster level. John Belushi had success with Animal House back in 1978 adjusts to over $400 million domestic today I think even over $500 million domestic. The Blues Brothers wasn't as sucessful but did better than  1941, and was a profit. Dan Aykroyd with just him isn't that sucessful he had the Ghostbusters franchise and Trading Places but those also had other SNL alum. Richard Pryor had some hits like Stir Crazy, Silver Streak, and See No Hear No Evil but Stir Crazy made the most $$$$. Gilda Radner wasn't even very sucessful as an actress even with her last husband Gene Wilder in a film like Haunted Honeymoon or Hanky Panky they weren't big hits and disappeared. Chris Rock had little hits but not big CB4 made small money, Head Of State did alright but not enough to say he's big, his top film is Down To Earth which grossed $64 million domestic back in 2001 which adjusts to nearly $100 million today. Kristen Wiig had Bridesmaids which grossed nearly $170 million domestic, but she has Macgruber which couldn't even gross $10 million domestic. Ghostbusters 2016 is a wildcard. Maya Rudolph just has Bridesmaids and that's it really. Chris Kattan disappeared his most sucessful film wasn't a comedy it was a horror film the House On Haunted Hill remake. Was Jason Sudekis alum? If he was then he had We"re The Millers and Horrible Bosses. Will Forte is sucessful more on TV like The Last Man On Earth. Dennis Miller was more popular with radio, and as a political commentator on Fox News with Bill O' Reily. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

lol Ascendant is not getting made. Not at this point.

Whoops I meant to cross that one out too. Regardless, The Mummy is still on that date.

7 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

Holy shit, next summer is pretty much guaranteed to be a disaster for a lot of movies.

No way they ALL make bank. Some will suffer. I'd say the safe bets for good $$$ are Spider-Man, GOTG2, and Transformers 5

Pirates it really depends how much Johnny Depp's recent downfall will hit it.

10 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

The fact that they actually aired a music video for the movie during the show probably doesn't help that comparison. Having seen the movie while I did enjoy it, for the most part it felt like a SNL sketch not only due to the satirical aspects but also the number of former cast members that are in the movie.

It's send off of the music industry was very clever. Most of it went over my audience's head.

7 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

SNL alum(besides Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Eddie Murphy, and Mike Myers) aren't really that big at the box office Chris Farley and David Spade had decent hits back in 1995 and 1996 but nothing blockbuster level. John Belushi had success with Animal House back in 1978 adjusts to over $400 million domestic today I think even over $500 million domestic. The Blues Brothers wasn't as sucessful but did better than  1941, and was a profit. Dan Aykroyd with just him isn't that sucessful he had the Ghostbusters franchise and Trading Places but those also had other SNL alum. Richard Pryor had some hits like Stir Crazy, Silver Streak, and See No Hear No Evil but Stir Crazy made the most $$$$. Gilda Radner wasn't even very sucessful as an actress even with her last husband Gene Wilder in a film like Haunted Honeymoon or Hanky Panky they weren't big hits and disappeared. Chris Rock had little hits but not big CB4 made small money, Head Of State did alright but not enough to say he's big, his top film is Down To Earth which grossed $64 million domestic back in 2001 which adjusts to nearly $100 million today. Kristen Wiig had Bridesmaids which grossed nearly $170 million domestic, but she has Macgruber which couldn't even gross $10 million domestic. Ghostbusters 2016 is a wildcard. Maya Rudolph just has Bridesmaids and that's it really. Chris Kattan disappeared his most sucessful film wasn't a comedy it was a horror film the House On Haunted Hill remake. Was Jason Sudekis alum? If he was then he had We"re The Millers and Horrible Bosses. Will Forte is sucessful more on TV like The Last Man On Earth. Dennis Miller was more popular with radio, and as a political commentator on Fox News with Bill O' Reily. 

Yes Sudekis was a cast member but Richard Pryor was not.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Conjuring 2: 52M

Now You See Me 2: 19M

Warcraft: 17M

TMNT: 14.5M 

Me Before You: 11M

X-Men: 10.8M

Alice: 5.4M

Angry Birds: 5M

Captain America: 3.8M

The Jungle Book: 2.8M

X-Men's gonna be out of the Top 5 next weekend :lol: 

I see Now You See Me 2 going below $15M tbh. No one cares.

Warcraft is the big question mark of next weekend. The marketing push has been very aggressive and clearly the game has its fans, but the poor reviews will most likely keep general audiences away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Holy shit, next summer is pretty much guaranteed to be a disaster for a lot of movies.

No way they ALL make bank. Some will suffer. I'd say the safe bets for good $$$ are Spider-Man, GOTG2, and Transformers 5

Pirates it really depends how much Johnny Depp's recent downfall will hit it.

The only really safe one is Guardians of the Galaxy - it's coming off a VERY well liked first movie, it's got breathing space after its release date, and it's the first big movie in a month (since Fast 8 at start of April).

Spider-Man, Pirates and Transformers franchises have been on a consistent downwards spiral.

Edited by Treecraft
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

I don't think everything will disappoint but June does look like a blood bath. I would move WW to Memorial Day, to give it some space from The Mummy/transformers 5 and also pirates 5 doesn't look threatening. 

39 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

:D:DAt least Turtles debuted with $35 million I hope the actuals hold up and it can make $100 million domestic.

Deadline is also saying $100 million in their latest update.  That would be close to a 3.0 multiplier, which I find hard to believe happening at this point.  Among the people here who saw it, reaction appears mixed, in contrast to that A- Cinemascore.  Is $100 million realistic, considering it appears we are now in another box office slump?  I feel a final domestic run into the $80 million range (close to matching TMNT III from 1993 adjusted) is far more likely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 could just as easily be Iron Man 2 all over again and see no actual growth from the first movie.

In which case it would still make $300M and be the #1 movie of the summer... not sure what your point is.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Treecraft said:

In which case it would still make $300M and be the #1 movie of the summer... not sure what your point is.

I was just responding to the assumption that I'm sure a lot of people have here that it'll see some massive increase over the first. Not that I'm really invested either way.

11 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

The only really safe one is Guardians of the Galaxy - it's coming off a VERY well liked first movie, it's got breathing space after its release date, and it's the first big movie in a month (since Fast 8 at start of April).

Spider-Man, Pirates and Transformers franchises have been on a consistent downwards spiral.

You are underestimating the Barbie movie, especially with a Mothers Day release date. I can see it doing 50M OW, Barbie is pretty much a pop culture icon and the release date is aces.

• Like 2