FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

15 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

They were good, but not compared to some other animated films at the time.

HTTYD did a 5x. Tangled, 4.16x. Up, 4.3x. Ice Age, 4.72x. TS3 had better legs than a much-maligned SHREK sequel and MONSTERS V ALIENS.

That's what a big OW gives you.... stubbier legs.

TS3 out grossed all those movies. So it's pretty dumb to say TS3 didn't have impressive legs.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Terrific opening. Pixar loons in full effect. That's about it.

I'm a Pixar loon, and Dory's opening weekend numbers make me pleased.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

11 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

TS3 out grossed all those movies. So it's pretty dumb to say TS3 didn't have impressive legs.

A movie can make a ton of money and not have huge legs. Look at most of the Marvel movies.

But you're missing my point, which is that the larger the opening, the weaker the legs tend to be. So with DORY opening huge, it seems very likely it'll have worse legs than TS3. How much worse, we don't yet know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

A movie can make a ton of money and not have huge legs. Look at most of the Marvel movies.

But you're missing my point, which is that the larger the opening, the weaker the legs tend to be. So with DORY opening huge, it seems very likely it'll have worse legs than TS3. How much worse, we don't yet know.

I guess we should just say legs does not always equal WOM. Something can open huge, be a big hit with audiences, but have worse legs than if it opened lower because demand was burned off OW. I know you know that, but many people seem to equate the two as always true.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Speaking of legs, @Cmasterclay wants to be the one to start the Dory Weekend 2 > Independence Day Weekend 1 club. I say let him now that an estimate is out. It'd be fascinating to see how many would join at this point given the bad buzz growing around the latter movie.

• Like 2