FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's doing right in line with Kevin Hart movies (only Ride Along broke $40M on OW) and Johnson is largely unestablished in comedies (or outside of pre-existing franchises in general). Pretty good, especially in the wake of Dory.

Johnson and Hart are well-known but people wildly overestimate how successful their movies are. My predict has been 90-100m all along for this, because it'd be a slightly above average result for a movie by either of them.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I really don't see an excuse for an OW below RA2 though. Should have looked a lot more appealing than that and Johnson should have added some extra draw power to Hart's, not diminished it. 

Take out sequels (or in the case of The Scorpion King, spin-offs) and the biggest openers of his career where he headlined are San Andreas (which was sold more on its disaster premise) with Hercules in a very distant second. Central Intelligence is looking to land higher than the latter, and by a good couple of mill.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I don't know if you know this, but movies are one thing in life that isn't an obligation.

Certainly not. I'm just pro giving everything a chance. Certainly, if WC is not your thing, and its trailers do not appeal, then please do not spend money on it. Actively trashing it without even seeing it, and then using RT as confirmation is something I'm against. This movie, and Ghostbusters, for example, seem to have gathered hate-groups against them. I see comments like "I hope this fails so badly that no sequel can be made". RT is quite often brought up as evidence against a movies quality as well as the box office results, though those two factors obviously are intertwined. At the end of the year, after all, we will have 90+ RT scored $1 billion WW Disney tent-poles in the top 5. 

I don't think RT had much of an effect on Warcraft tanking so badly. 

Ultimately it's meant to have all these millions of fans, who just didn't show up. Never mind the reviews, they were the audience that should have taken it to at least $100 million, with an average turn out from casual moviegoers. 

Why didn't they turn up is the real question. It's been the case nearly all over the world, save China.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I don't think RT had much of an effect on Warcraft tanking so badly. 

Ultimately it's meant to have all these millions of fans, who just didn't show up. Never mind the reviews, they were the audience that should have taken it to at least $100 million, with an average turn out from casual moviegoers. 

Why didn't they turn up is the real question. It's been the case nearly all over the world, save China.  

Why would they though? I think most people who played the game shared the opinion I did: why on earth does that need to be a movie? It's a fun game to play, would I ever want to watch a movie about it though? Hell no. 

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

I'd like to see Disney exploit their relationship with Nintendo and do a Chrono Trigger animated movie

Chrono Trigger is not a Nintendo property. You're looking at Square Enix.

Edited by cookie

10 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I also realize RT scores can certainly have quite an effect, and that effect could be different for each different situation.

Here's a thought - the quality of the movie affects RT scores.   Make a better movie. 

Social media post BvS opening was not positive.  IMDB which had been bolstered by 10,000+ 10 votes even before it screened to anyone and which is predominant driven by young males took a nose dive right after opening.  As did RT audience scores.   That was not the critics at work.  The movie opened huge and after the opening w/e about 40-50 million people saw it and their WOM would have been far stronger than any critical reviews.  Yet worldwide it had huge drops almost everywhere in many countries where RT isn't even known.    You can read the fan board at SuperHeroHype where the fervor for BvS was hugely intense and positive before opening and then became significantly negative after it was seen, and these are the die hards.

Everyone has their own taste as to what is a good or bad movie but blaming critics for the audience at large for not liking or going to see the movie you want is flawed thinking.  And thinking critics at large have an agenda against your favorite movie is conspiracy nut levels.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Why would they though? I think most people who played the game shared the opinion I did: why on earth does that need to be a movie? It's a fun game to play, would I ever want to watch a movie about it though? Hell no. 

Maybe. You'd just think there would be enough interest from such a supposedly huge fanbase to make it a decent hit. 

It is after all a game that people lose so much time to. Live in it. Of all the game properties that might have done really well this was surely it? 

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Maybe. You'd just think there would be enough interest from such a supposedly huge fanbase to make it a decent hit. 

It is after all a game that people lose so much time to. Live in it. Of all the game properties that might have done really well this was surely it? 

Again what about it says great for the film medium though? To me the video game properties that could truly do well are the story driven/adventure ones. Uncharted for example can be massive if it's done right. 

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The very nature of a film not being interactive like a game could be a major drawback.  There are those who want to be the orc not watch the orc.  Just like many people love to play sports but not watch them.

39 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I really don't see an excuse for an OW below RA2 though. Should have looked a lot more appealing than that and Johnson should have added some extra draw power to Hart's, not diminished it. 

The reality is CI doesn't look all that different from Ride Along. The fact that it's opening is on par against Dory is a good thing. Hart has probably peaked but atleast hes consistent. Studios can green light a 30-40m hart comedy and almost always guarantee their money back on the first weekend. 

Johnson is more of a draw overseas, so I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the highest grossing  Hart film overseas. 

Edited by babz06

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Inside Out 2? Are you fucking kidding me?

Uhh, dude, the 1st one did 350M DOM and 850M WW against Jurassic World and (to a lesser degree) Minions. It's laughable to think that a sequel wouldn't do gangbusters, especially if it were anywhere near as good as the 1st.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Uhh, dude, the 1st one did 350M DOM and 850M WW against Jurassic World and (to a lesser degree) Minions. It's laughable to think that a sequel wouldn't do gangbusters, especially if it were anywhere near as good as the 1st.

The problem is that Inside Out is high-concept to the extreme. It would nearly be impossible to do a sequel that isn't a remake in some way.

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

:sadben: 

Are you seeing what I am seeing?

:sadben: 

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Inside Out 2? Are you fucking kidding me?

The tie-in for a sequel is literally built-in in the ending of that movie. It's getting a sequel someday. I just hope Pixar is able to get out of their comfort zone a bit and do a (truly)teenager mind, that has all kinds of awesome potential.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Both are still too niche and video gamey to do well, imo. Elder Scrolls would be the best bet as far as fantasy video game adaptations. It is much more in line with LotR or GoT in its ability to be mainstream and break out of the nerd stigma. 

They are popular enough, that's true; the stories in them are generic as hell though.

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I'd like to see Disney exploit their relationship with Nintendo and do a Chrono Trigger animated movie

God, a Chrono Trigger movie(not Nitendo though), that would be the dream, wouldn't it? The game that made me fall in love with RPGs to begin with. What an amazing little story.