WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Speaking of which: also a dismal opening for Free State of Jones. That was pretty obvious, though.

Which you've been calling since forever. Especially when the projections came in. You were like adamant it wasn't going over $10M lol 

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

RTH nilephelan and deadline all said 22.6 for Dory. WhereD the extra 600k come from? I smell fudge.

What reason would there be to fudge? nilephelan had bumped up his Dory number to over $23M around the same time that Gitesh posted the estimate. 

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Haven't watched IDR yet, but this description of Chinese pandering is just cringeworthy. I wonder if Chinese audiences feel the same regarding this

Reveal hidden contents

I think that Chinese pandering isn't as effective as studios think. After all, it was Zootopia that made 1.530 billion Chinese yuan, not Kung Fu Panda 3.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Better to rewatch TDK or something #ED.

I have 3 hours to kill at 4. I could catch the IMAX 3D. Nostalgia purposes maybe?

45 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

People complain about what they call "unnecessary sequels", and yet when amazing non-sequels are released, they don't watch them. lol

How are audiences supposed to know when great non-sequels are at the theater?

Most people don't use rotten tomatoes.

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Deserting the Fanboy War is treason, Pink.

I believe a quote from a certain character in a movie that opened yesterday to 2.7 million dollars said this:

"I'm tired of it. You, me, all of us. We out there dyin' so the execs can stay rich!"

• Like 2

Gotta say: Sony is having a really swell 2016. Two small scale successes in Risen and Miracles From Heaven, a 100M+ WW hit in The 5th Wave, The Angry Birds Movie doing fairly decent if unspectacular business for what it was expected (but pretty strong overall, 300M+ WW ain't no slouch), The Mermaid's absolute devastation of the China market, and now, The Shallows overperforming. Sure, they've had their flops (Brothers Grimsby, I Saw The Light, The Bronze), but the hits far outweigh the misses.

Now it's a question mark to see how well Ghostbusters does. And hopefully Sausage Party breaks out too.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

52 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Haven't watched IDR yet, but this description of Chinese pandering is just cringeworthy. I wonder if Chinese audiences feel the same regarding this

Reveal hidden contents

It would be more noticeable except that most of the movie does that for non-Chinese stuff too. Emmerich -- bless his heart -- loves international cooperation and that's one of the themes of the movie, so it didn't seem a big deal to have a Chinese commander of the moon base. The Chinese pilot is basically there as a potential love interest for the nerd sidekick.

53 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Early on there are several scenes prominently featuring Chinese actors in positions of power/coolness, Chinese product placement (an American character holding a carton of Chinese milk while not in China), characters exchanging Chinese expressions, and even a random shot of a group of characters holding up a Chinese flag in the international hangar (no other country's flag is present).

The head of the international moon base is Chinese. One of the main pilots is a major Chinese model/actress who serves absolutely no purpose in the movie. She literally LITERALLY does nothing. But she survives to the end and is there for the final shot and always looks cool.

No wonder the Chinese audience is apparently kinda offended by this movie.

What the fuck Fox, what the fuck.