WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It has a far less crowded summer to its advantage though, and TS3 released in the heart of the 3D backlash which I'm 100% certain to this day affected its multi. There's really no reason it shouldn't have been pulling an easy 4x back in 2010 with its reception, but everyone shunned 3D that summer right when theaters were forcing it down the GA's throats the most. I remember it being very hard to find 2D showing of 3D films that summer-holiday. Anyways, point being that Dory doesn't need as good of WOM to have a TS3 multi, and it has great WOM anyways. Pets will be the only thing that could stop it from 500+ heights. 

I can tell you TS3 lost at least one ticket with me because the local theater would only show it in 3D. Zero 2D shows. I chose to rent the film later. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It has a far less crowded summer to its advantage though, and TS3 released in the heart of the 3D backlash which I'm 100% certain to this day affected its multi. There's really no reason it shouldn't have been pulling an easy 4x back in 2010 with its reception, but everyone shunned 3D that summer right when theaters were forcing it down the GA's throats the most. I remember it being very hard to find 2D showing of 3D films that summer-holiday. Anyways, point being that Dory doesn't need as good of WOM to have a TS3 multi, and it has great WOM anyways. Pets will be the only thing that could stop it from 500+ heights. 

I dont think Pets will slow down Dory very much. Despicable Me launched on that same weekend of Toy Story 3s run and TS3 went on to make close to $100M from that Friday onward.

Dory is likely going to be over $400M before Secret Life of Pets launches.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Admissions may have been better but its box office probably would've been about the same. It did finish with a higher adjusted total than TS2.

I just think the multi would have been crazy without 3d forced on everyone. Maybe it still didn't go much higher in terms of money, but legs and admissions wise there would have been a huge difference. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I just think the multi would have been crazy without 3d forced on everyone. Maybe it still didn't go much higher in terms of money, but legs and admissions wise there would have been a huge difference. 

Its legs were pretty good for a sequel as they were, just a bit off the all-2D Shrek 2's pace. IMO whatever negative effect 3D had on its admissions manifested in the opening weekend.

I think "heart of the 3D backlash" is an overstatement. Alice and Clash sailed on Avatar 3D coat-tails just 2-3 months before after all. I'm sure some folks were done with 3D like redfirebird, but many people, especially families with children, were just as excited to watch TS3 in 3D. Any effect on legs/admissions would've been negligible. 

• Like 4

Fox releasing Apocalypse reviews 2 weeks early and Sony embargoing Shallows reviews till day of release pretty much shows that studios have no idea what critics will like or dislike. IDR was weird though with critics not even watching the movie till after release.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Plus they have Magnificent Seven and Passengers, but who knows if the latter is coming out this year since Space Between Us just got moved to the same date.

I had to google it, and it looks cute, if smaller than a tentpole. It is weird to me that they moved it to the same date as Passengers.  I can't imagine it impacting Passengers' release date though.   If Rogue One didn't make it move, this won't. 

Edited by trifle

2 hours ago, JennaJ said:

What does The Space Between Us have to do with Passengers' release date? If Rogue One didn't make it move, I doubt this will.

Oops.  Looks like that was said before...

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

If a movie doesn't open strong enough then it's not going to do that well in most cases.

Unless it's Oscar-bait season.

Plus a small opening will minimize WOM because few people will actually see the movie.

That's the sad thing. I still can't believe EDGE OF TOMORROW 'only' made 100 M.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Maybe no one, but that movie was still expected to do at least 100m+. Shallows wasn't expected to do anything. If Shallows goes over 20 this weekend and IDR under 38, I'm starting the club. Shallows could totally get almost twice as good a multi as IDR. 

Then there is the little fact that Shallows only cost 17 Million to make,which is like next to nothing nowdays. SONY will end up with a very good return on investment for this one.

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Your vendetta aginst Pixar is no long amusing,guy.

Yeah, it was funny and all to see Baumer's meltdowns about Dory, but it's kind of gotten stale now.  Like, we get it, you don't like Pixar or fish.