Ezen Baklattan

July 1-4 Weekend Estimates | Dory 50.2m, Tarzan 45.6m, Purge 34.8m, BFG 22.2m, IDR 20.2m

29 minutes ago, Nova said:

Dory, Central Intelligence and The Shallows with the best holds from last weekend. All three dropped between 35-36% *according to Deadline.*

*Have to include the according to Deadline because I didn't bother to do the math myself so it's Deadline math. Take it as you will. 

Finding Dory 44.00
The Legend of Tarzan 34.00
The Purge 3 32.20
The BFG 20.50
Independence Day: Resurgence 16.20
Central Intelligence 11.80
The Shallows 9.30
Free State of Jones 4.30
The Conjuring 2 3.60
Now You See Me 2 3.00

projections based on 2011 Friday multies

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nova said:

So according to the update that I just posted, Tarzan is supposed to finish in second place and beat out the Purge. Who would have thought. 

If you recall, I was predicting all three new releases to fall into the 30-40 million range. C'mon BFG, let's win some weekend mornings!

8 hours ago, Nova said:

No they were harsh on it because it wasn't that good. It was no where near as bad as IDR but calling it WAYYYYY better is a reach. Besides as bad as IDR's OW, it hasn't had any catastrophic drops during the week. Tarzan will most likely open $10M less than IDR did OW for the three day and then have to play catch up. Either way they're both movies that are disappointing box office wise regardless of expectations. 

Looks like it will open only 6 million less and will have a bigger 4 day than IDR OW. IDR is the bigger embarassment because of the expectations. Many on this forum were expecting sub 20 million OW for tarzan and not more than 60m domestic. But last week I found out how much of a turkey IDR was going to be and that convinced me that Tarzan will do much better than pre-release expectations. Now it will most likely outgross IDR domestically. If it manages to do 400+ WW, WB will be happy. 

Edited by marveldcfox

IDR seems to be doing TCJ2-like numbers. So if TCJ2 passes 100M mark, shouldn't IDR?

Also, how does LoT beat IDR if it's OW is worse? There's no guarantee it will have a stronger multiplier just because it has a higher Cinemascore than IDR.

16 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

IDR seems to be doing TCJ2-like numbers. So if TCJ2 passes 100M mark, shouldn't IDR?

Also, how does LoT beat IDR if it's OW is worse? There's no guarantee it will have a stronger multiplier just because it has a higher Cinemascore than IDR.

Look at the RT audience scores, that should tell you all you need to know.

11 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

a 61% drop with a holiday boosted sunday and the holiday in the title that should give it another boost? that's horrific, its the equivalent of a 70% drop and will probably fall well over 50% next weekend, maybe 60%. Its dallies this week were under TC2 and it wasn't quite summer yet.

If LoTs cinema score holds up and it drop less than 60% next weekend and less than 50% the following it had a chance to catch up. I think they both fall short of 100m though

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Look at the RT audience scores, that should tell you all you need to know.

Lol, touche.

However, IDR has had a week w/ such bad ratings and WOM, and it's still outpacing TCJ2, so 100M, I would figure, is still quite manageable. 

3 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

a 61% drop with a holiday boosted sunday and the holiday in the title that should give it another boost? that's horrific, its the equivalent of a 70% drop and will probably fall well over 50% next weekend, maybe 60%. Its dallies this week were under TC2 and it wasn't quite summer yet.

If LoTs cinema score holds up and it drop less than 60% next weekend and less than 50% the following it had a chance to catch up. I think they both fall short of 100m though

Ah, that's reasonable.

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Lol, touche.

However, IDR has had a week w/ such bad ratings and WOM, and it's still outpacing TCJ2, so 100M, I would figure, is still quite manageable. 

how is it outpacing?

wed, tur, fri are all lower

Edited by No Prisoners

If Tarzan manages to hit 100m I think that with OS and home media it will break even and even bring in a small profit. If that happens WB might have the best summer out of all studios, seeing none none of their movies bombed. MBY, CI, CJ2 were very profitable, Lights Out and SS both look like breakouts, War Dogs had a good reception with the trailer and it likely was cheap to make. So really, their only flop movie was The Nice Guys, which was cheap anyways. Of course they didn't have huge movies like Disney (even though I predict SS to be absolutely enormous), but they also didn't have huge bombs like Disney (Alice 2, The BFG).  

Edited by James
  • Like 1

Gap between TDK and DORY

1st weekend : 23.3m (158.4m vs 135.1m)

2nd weekend : 27.5m (313.8m vs 286.3m)

3rd weekend : 19.5m (393.8m vs ~374.3m; using 44m 3-day for DORY)

After Monday the gap will reduce to 14m (400m vs 386m)

I at least see DORY doing 515m. 100m clear of TS3.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

The weather has been very nice in DC. Too bad you'll probably bring that nasty Texas heat and humidity with you in August.

Jayhawk you know very well that D.C. and that portion of NoVa and Maryland is a muggy humidity-infested swamp in July and August. Don't get his hopes up.